Search results

1. Nat

Wandering back to Lowthers

I picked up a pair of mystery speakers in the furniture section of the Old Lyme Congregational Church White Elephant Sale about twenty years ago. All that was apparent was that the enclosures were made by The Radio People of Hong Kong. When I opened them up, I discovered that they were a pair...
  2. Nat

Porter brewed in Trenton NJ in the 1970s - what was the name?

I was given a book about the history of beer in America, which made the claim that Yuengling was the only maker of porter in the 1970s, and I have fond memories of drinking a very good, and cheap(!) porter made, I think, in Trenton NJ. At some point, they tried to go upscale and marketed it in...
  3. Nat

Number of posts and membership date

It appears that the new format no longer lists the number of previous posts or the date of joining under the name and avatar. Is there some way to change settings to get these back? I find it helpful to know if someone is a long time member or a new poster (or simply a troll) when I'm...
  4. Nat

Luxman R 1040 variant - fuses

I picked up a nice looking Luxman R 1040. The seller said one channel was out, but it seems to work perfectly well. I think he may have hooked up the two speakers to the same channel, one on Speaker A and the other on Speaker B, so only one worked. At any rate, I went to adjust idle current...
  5. Nat

Spark suppresion capacitor(?) value

Picked up this Sears Audio by Fisher 143 receiver which, despite having not just one, but two, unimpressive names, seems decently built and looks and sounds fine by midlevel standards. But if plugged in, it is always on. Turns out it isn't the power switch but the ceramic disc that is across...
  6. Nat

Finding members by location

Is there anyway to find members by location? I'm trying to remember the name of an AKer is northwest Connecticut who had a basement full of used equipment that needed repairs (Yes, I know this describes most of us). He had a listening area in the basement also (again, that's many of us). Tall...
  7. Nat

Holt Hill Audio

I was talking to Brian Salazar (baco 99)about a Pyramid subwoofer (with the Sequerra Met 7 speakers, part of the FutureSonic system) before Covid hit, and after a couple of years delay, I finally went up to his place, Holt Hill Audio, in Lawrence MA to pick the thing up. It is rare, nowadays, to...
  8. Nat

JBL Dorian Econowave Dilemma

I picked up a pair of Dorians in bad cosmetic shape at the dump - they worked, and sounded pretty good despite the rock hard Lansalloy and the simple cone tweeter. Than a buddy bought a pair with the potato masher tweeters. He parted out the drivers and crossover, and gave me the boxes, which...
  9. Nat

Bias and offset on Proton 550/950

Anyone know how to set bias and offset on the Proton 550 and 950? There is a service manual at HiFi Engine, but the copy is defective and this information didn't get scanned - one edge of it is visible, but none of the actual content.
  10. Nat

Melos GK 1 question

I know there are a couple of threads on Melos GK 1s, but they tend to focus on the power supply, which, in the case of the GK 1+1 appears to run very hot. I have just bought the GK 1 that ChinaCave posted about in those other threads. I understand from the guy I got it from (another AKer), that...
  11. Nat

Onkyo Multiac 60 AU - pleasingly bizarre

Years ago, or maybe decades, AKer Mark Hardy gave me this oddball piece, an Onkyo Stereo Multi Channel Multiac 60 AU. It's a stereo receiver with separate outputs for woofer, midrange, and tweeters. I think I tried it, found some issues and set it aside. Recently, I thought to sell it with...
  12. Nat

What grease for Neat/Channel Master main bearing?

I'm refurbishing a Channel Master variant of the Neat P 68 (oddly painted in chocolate brown with gold accents and a white mat), and the main bearing needed cleaning. Everything seems in good condition - it appears that bearing and spindle are both brass, though rather copper colored - but I...
  13. Nat

HH Scott speakers

Every now and then someone posts asking about Scott speakers. The response is often that they aren't as well known or regarded as Scott tube equipment, or as speakers from companies who specialized in speakers. And they almost always used plain jane looking drivers so it is easy for people who...
  14. Nat

Identify horn tweeter?

Years ago I picked up the drivers from a pair of home brew Bose 901 inspired speakers - a pile (18?) of CTS 5 inch paper midwoofers and horn tweeters. Never been able to identify the tweeters - they appear to be the same tweeter used in the Eastman Martin Gamma 31 and other speakers, and the...
  15. Nat

dB Systems

I was looking through some of my late father's stuff and came across a receipt from the 70s for a couple of cassette recordings of Monadnock Music concerts. To my surprise, the name on the reciept was David Hadaway, whom I recognize as the owner of dB Systems, the top notch, if somewhat...
  16. Nat

finding members

It used to be that you could look up member alphabetically if you wished to contact them. Now I can choose notable members, new members, recent activity, but I haven't been able to find a simple members list. Am I looking in the wrong places?
  17. Nat

Where is that guy who wanted to see paper imbedded in vinyl?

Well, I haven't found any records with whole sections of ground up label in them - an unwelcome but common surprise in the 70s (sometimes you could tell even what the record that had been ground up and reused had been). But here is one that I just came across - a Columbia reissue of Friday...
  18. Nat

Speakercraft BB 50

After a decade or two, my Van Alstine modded Stereo 70 started acting weird - at least one tube was wonky, but why? So while it was being looked at, I needed something to use, and the first thing I laid my hands on was a Stereocraft BB 50. A 50 wpc basic amp from the all over the house stereo...
  19. Nat

How to remove pulley on Radio Shack/Miracord 45

I did a quick search here and didn't find anything about how to remove the pulley from a Radio Shack badged ELAC Miracord 45. And even more to my surprise, Vinyl Engine doesn't have any relevant service manuals. To my surprise, the motor is marked PE (Perpetuum Ebner), so I looked for service...
  20. Nat

Cizek Sound Windows (and other wall speakers)

I salvaged a pair of Cizek Sound Windows from a dumpster. They lay face down in some water, so the Peerless cone tweeters (and maybe the woofers) were damp - not soaked - and I dried them with a hair dryer and time in the sun. They seemed ok. I refoamed the woofers with generics. So nothing...
  21. Nat

Pioneer CS 88a in Plymouth NH

There is a pair of Pioneer CS 88as at the Boomerangs thrift shop in Plymouth NH. In nice cosmetic condition other than a water ring on top of one, and grills looked perfect. They were on tight so I think they may never have been removed. Drivers on the one I looked at appeared good, though...
  22. Nat

Fons Orphan Arm?

Over at Vinyl Engine, in a thread on the Fons turntable, a poster mentioned a Fons arm. While I, and most of the other posters had never heard of such a thing, and pointed out that most Fons came from the factory ready for an SME, it turns out there apparently was such a thing - both a...
  23. Nat

1972 Consumer Reports turntable tests

Picked up a 1972 Consumer Reports annual and several issues from that period at a tag sale. It's always interesting to see what they thought about all sorts of equipment, since, even though they are not always the most knowledgeable about specific products, they do focus on what matters to the...
  24. Nat

Interesting stuff in Middletown CT: Mission, Rectillinear, Bozak

I assume this is a legitimate place to post reports of things for sale, if not, I hope the moderator will move the post. I was at Estate Treasures in Middletown CT, which is on the south part of Main Street, where is heads off to Bow Road, and saw a couple of things someone might want - Mission...
  25. Nat

Yet another speaker ID challenge

Picked these up at the dump. A little bit dinged on the edges, but otherwise undamaged, though the foam was thoroughly disintegrated. I did not recognize them, but I wonder if anyone else will. They are 6 or 6.5 inch two ways, and if it isn't clear, the front baffle is angled back, starting...
Back
Top Bottom