Search results

1. J

Birds - Post 'em up

White Pelican: Blue-gray Gnatcatcher: This female Ruby-throated Hummingbird lighted on a bramble, gave her beak a good polish on a thorn, and then sat preening for quite a while. Meanwhile, I was creeping through the underbrush on hands and knees to get an unobstructed view of her, after which...
  2. J

How about some back yard nature pictures?

Hummingbird checking out a Zinnia.
  3. J

Late summer and the cone flowers are starting to fade. No more nectar for butterflies, but as they go to seed they are starting to attract Goldfinches.
  4. J

Birds - Post 'em up

Barn Swallow: Prothonatory Warbler Warbling Vireo: Sandhill Crane family, misty morning after overnight thunderstorms: Great Blue Heron landing amid the waterlilies:
  5. J

Saw The Best Idea For Shipping Heavy Boxes In Quite Awhile

Look up "inside corner molding" at your local hardware store/lumber yard. Cross section looks like this: You can also get outside corner molding, which looks pretty much like what's shown in your photo.
  6. J

AK 21st Anniversary Raffle

Seems like only a few years but actually Aug 31, 2010.
  7. J

Birds - Post 'em up

Eastern Phoebe, Gray Catbird, Great Crested Flycatcher, and a Rose Breasted Grosbeak
  8. J

Birds - Post 'em up

Osprey: Pair of wrens on a nesting box:
  9. J

The Weather 6/14/23

No severe weather hereabouts, but smoke from the Canadian fires is thick enough to affect visibility. From the National Weather Service: "Smoke from Canadian wildfires has settled across central Minnesota this afternoon. AQI observations are in the Red (Unhealthy for Everybody) category across...
  10. J

Is Eutectic cast copper alloy a good conductor for speaker wire terminals?

Aside from defining the copper/zinc ratio, I don't think the fact that the mix is eutectic has any impact on the electrical properties. As far as the brass/copper comparison, consider that you are adding a half inch of brass to a (typically) 8- or 10-foot length of copper wire, so the impact is...
  11. J

The Rolling Stones or The Beatles

I had this discussion with an aspiring-musician friend close to half a century ago. He pointed out that the Beatles took their inspiration from the politer end of 1950's rock and roll (think Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, etc) whereas the Stones went straight back to early blues. So he claimed that a...
  12. J

What was the last movie you watched?

"The Long Kiss Goodnight" - Geena Davis as an amnesiac who has built a new life but then starts to get her memory back. All the usual spy movie shenanigans. Samuel L Jackson is always worth watching, but what lifts this above the run of the mill is Davis's performance as her character switches...
  13. J

Blodwyn pig

I had the good fortune to see them live in Manchester in about 1970, a very fine show. Their second (and last) album, Getting to This, is not nearly as good as the first. For anyone who appreciates this sort of horn-heavy British blues, I would recommend you check out the Keef Hartley Band.
  14. J

Birds - Post 'em up

Delusions of grandeur? Canada goose on an eagle's nest, which I assume means the nest is abandoned. Sad because eagles have successfully raised several chicks here over the past few years. The nest is built on a power pylon that stands in a small lake near the river. Further down the shore...
  15. J

The Greatest Year in Classic Rock 'n' Roll...

Agreed. There's a thread titled "wild early 70's rock" here. One time I tried to recall a bunch of albums we used to listen to at college parties back in that period ('71 - '75) - turned out a majority of the ones I considered memorable were released in '69.
  16. J

Hibiscus, rather?
  17. J

Birds - Post 'em up

Late October at the wildlife refuge. Small birds that summer here and migrate south or pass through on their way south are long gone, but there are a few that migrate south to here and spend the winter (although I can't imagine why) such as this Rusty Blackbird ... ... and Northern Shrike...
  18. J

Is this a thing?

They are complementary activities - I listen to music when I'm at home and take pictures when I'm out birdwatching or whatever. The gear is just a means to an end, whether music or photographs.
  19. J

Critters

Red Squirrel
  20. J

Birds - Post 'em up

Early morning and a heavy mist at the wildlife refuge:
  21. J

Critters

Common Buckeye
  22. J

Birds - Post 'em up

Adult Red-Headed Woodpecker ... ... with a youngster in tow: Rose Breasted Grosbeak - having sadly lost its breeding plumage already: Oven Bird:
  23. J

Not exactly a back yard, certainly not my back yard, but wife decided on short notice that we needed to get out of town for a few days, so on Tuesday we headed down river a little ways to the sunny west coast of Wisconsin. Here's the view from the rocking chairs outside our motel room (the...
  24. J

I want to weep...can you folks recommend some classical compositions that make thee weep?

One aria that can pretty much always bring me to tears (any half-way decently sung version) is the Song to the Moon from Dvorak's Rusalka.
  25. J

Here's a couple of photos of my dad's back yard. He lives on his own and does this all by himself. He says it's starting to get a bit too much for him so it's maybe not quite as spectacular as previous years. I'm not even sure how he hauls potting soil and such home as he gave up his car...
Back
Top Bottom