Search results

1. fhawk618

Tubes and opinions...

There are a zillion different 12AX7's out there, and they all sound different. My personal favorites are long plates by sylvania or RCA and Telefunkens (if you can find them without having to take out a mortgage) The only way to find out is to experiment and find out what sounds best to YOU...
  2. fhawk618

How to lower pre-out gain?

There should be resistors in the output circuit of the preamp... usually right before the RCA ouput jacks. You can increase their value to reduce the maximum ouput voltage and still maintain the full range of the volume control. Otherwise, just stay in the low range of the volume control to not...
  3. fhawk618

I must be a cheap guy...

I have always been a firm believer in that simply throwing $$$ at audio gear does not guarantee a great sounding system. It is all about synergy amongst the gear, room dynamics, and ultimately, what sounds good to YOU!
  4. fhawk618

fhawk618 status

I have been moved to a regular room (out of CCU), so I now have access to my phone and computer again. Ed, sorry, I don't think Charlie checked back in after that last post. He has been trying to work, attend to me and deal with my mother. I don't even know the actual address of the hospital...
  5. fhawk618

fhawk618 status

Charlie again--Frank underwent a stress test yesterday and failed miserably, having another cardiac event, so he remains hospitalized and will not have access to his phone or computer until he is moved to a regular room. He is deeply concerned about the hate mail and threats regarding a...
  6. fhawk618

Carver Speaker Ribbons?

There are a number of people that restore/repair carver ribbons... check TheCarverSite and CarverAudio...
  7. fhawk618

fhawk618 status

I am back... released AMA (against medical advice)... trying to get around the house, but my legs are a wreck from the catheterization procedures... thank you for your thoughts and prayers...
  8. fhawk618

fhawk618 status

Frank/fhawk618 is currently in the hospital... they will not let me give him a wifi or computer since he is in CCU. He just wanted me to get back to you and assure you that any money owed, pieces serviced will be there when they release him... hopefully in about three days... Charlie
  9. fhawk618

Magneplanar MG-1`s

Maggie will have all of the replacement parts/socks available. Caps can be sourced from pretty much anywhere, just match the values and pick your brand of choice. Maggie sells the glue as well, but it is not really proprietary... they are 3M/Scotch products that can be sourced locally from craft...
  10. fhawk618

Magneplanar MG-1`s

Never owned a pair, but have heard them before... I have SMGa's and 3.3R's... any of the Maggies without the true ribbon tweeter kind of roll off at about 15KHz. Based on age, I would recommend checking for delamination of the wires from the mylar... happens all the time, kind of a "given"...
  11. fhawk618

Refoaming a midrange

Watching the progression of this thread, ultimately, if they are "generic" speakers to give away for a starter system, you may just want to look at the Parts Express website and just buy a pair of new/cheap mids that fit the mounting holes and call it a day, instead of the cost and aggrevation...
  12. fhawk618

power consumption on idle

+1 on this one... if there is something wrong (which clearly there is) whether it be caps or bias issues, you are just gambling with the risk of catastrophic failure that can potentially damage your speakers and do much more significant damage to the receiver itself. Take it out of service and...
  13. fhawk618

Refoaming a midrange

I would never recommend sending a 30 Hz tone to a midrange, since that is well out of their intended operational range, but you might want to look at the crossover specs to get an idea of the intended operational range of the midrange before even going as low as 240 Hz... 240 is still pretty low...
  14. fhawk618

What would you change about eBay?

1--get their greedy fingers back out the shipping business... shipping rates have gotten out of control already and now ebay taxes those as part of final value fees 2--negotiate discounted shipping rates with ALL of the major couriers, rather than just their monopoly with the USPS
  15. fhawk618

Pairing Telefunken tubes Smooth/Ribbed Plates ?

Those test readings are well within a 10% match, so that should not be an issue, but I would pair based on plate structure, since the different plates will sound different based on that factor...
  16. fhawk618

Need some advice, speaker “static”.

It would seem to me to be an issue with the preamp or source, since it goes away when the preamp is in standby mode... It is definitely not the amp, since the noise would remain even with no source input if the issue was with the amp.
  17. fhawk618

Just picked up a Carver M-1.5T. Is it a good one?

The largest power rail caps (although they have aged) rarely have any use in normal operation of the amp... unless you constantly crank the hell out of the amp, it is the low and mid power rail caps that take all of the use/wear and tear, since this amp design switches from amongst the three...
  18. fhawk618

Maxell or tdk cassettes???

My personal favorite back in the day were Denon tapes, but I've used both Maxell and TDK as well. My favorite reel to reel tape is Maxell. I think Maxell just sold a lot more tape due to their R2R reputation and aggressive marketing campaigns, so that's probably why more of them turn up...
  19. fhawk618

'Characteristic' speaker brand sound

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-459737.html
  20. fhawk618

Pull Those Firm Records Out

The Firm~S/T is indeed a great lp... underappreciated, but I bought it new and still have it today...
  21. fhawk618

Replacing fast acting fuses with time delay fuses ?

DON'T DO IT... fast acting fuses or polyswitches are there for protection from transient spikes and/or clipping from the amp... using a slow-blow fuse basically defeats their purpose, so you might as just well bypass the fuse and gamble. I don't know what amp you are using, but some have...
  22. fhawk618

Just picked up a Carver M-1.5T. Is it a good one?

Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh is officially blessed by Bob Carver as the current east coast service center for Carver amps, they also sell his line of new tube amps. Roland Barr at Hi-Tech Audio out of Oregon is the west coat main man. For the record, the M-1.5t and it's pro counterpart the...
  23. fhawk618

I have a matched quad of 12AT7... NOS NEC tubes... $20 plus shipping... thought that we had...

I have a matched quad of 12AT7... NOS NEC tubes... $20 plus shipping... thought that we had them... if you want them I got'em... in my hand right now.... tom is a really cool guy and these are all spec'd on the boxes...
  24. fhawk618

How do you carry your smartphone?

Right front pocket with a thin rubber case and a screen protector on it...
  25. fhawk618

Kappa 6 resto/mod

I would stick with someplace like Simply Speakers, as they are very knowledgeable in terms of what surround you need. You can buy generic surrounds, but it is a gamble as to getting the correct compliance, overlap for mounting and excursion specs. I'd avoid the low priced auction site...
Back
Top Bottom