Search results

1. MrZero63

Will R/T Release the Smiths' Troy Tate Sessions?

Something I really didn't know about the Smiths... I have all their US and UK pressings and some foreign-pressed oddities (pic discs/coloed stuff, bootlegs, etc.) - other than those compilations that keep cropping up - so why wouldn't I know about this? I even read many, many fanzines and a...
  2. MrZero63

MGIIc Rebuild Complete

I just spent the weekend repairing my latest speaker additions – a pair of Maggies (MGIIc, manufactured Nov 1985) I picked up form Josh in Longmont, Co. (Recycled Audio). They sounded great hooked up to the Audire Forte, but slight delamination caused female vocals to buzz while other songs...
  3. MrZero63

Got Maggies Today/Bass Slap

Received a pair of Magnepan speakers today – SMGa. I tried a pair of MMGs a few years back, but they were underwhelmed by my available amplification at the time (McIntosh MC225). This time my amplification was up to task – an Audire Forte with 250 watts at 4 ohms. I still use the same preamp...
  4. MrZero63

Marantz MS-25?

Anyone know about Marantz MS-25 4-way speakers? I noticed a Craigslist ad for a decent looking pair on the cheap and wondered if I should just give em a try. I'd be using it with am SS amp (Audire Forte)... (No affiliation w/seller...) I searched AK and the net and see nothing about that...
  5. MrZero63

Reputable Repair in Northern Colorado

I just acquired an Audire Forte and want to get it brought into spec. Is anyone familiar with any repair shops in the Fort Collins area of CO? The amp is a bit heavy to ship and I don't have time/expertise to knock it out myself... -Dave
  6. MrZero63

Hot MC225

Just curious - my MC225 autoformers are hotter from right to left. It is not the heat that I am curious about but the right side being hotter than the left (the temp is probably around 120 on the right and 90 on the left after an hour of play). Is this normal?
  7. MrZero63

I'm in Heaven

I recently purchased another house and set up my system in the basement with the Klipschorns but something was missing. The highs were bright and the midrange almost nonexistent. I updated the networks with Bob Crites' help but it was still real bright (through a McIntosh MC225). I added my...
  8. MrZero63

$500 SS Amp Recommendation

I currently have tube equipment pumped into horn-loaded speakers and love it but was thinking about augmenting the system with an SS amp (I'd just switch amps every now and then). While I was moving from Alaska to Wyoming from Alaska, I stopped by the friendly folks at Reference Media in...
  9. MrZero63

Auditor - Dog of Berkeley Pit

For those of you who enjoy interesting nonfiction dog stories, I came across the story of Auditor, an awesome Puli (sort of a sheepdog with dreadlocks), while moving from Fairbanks, Alaska to Cheyenne, Wyoming. I saw bronze statues of the dog in a Butte, Montana museum and was bewildered that...
  10. MrZero63

Am I Being a Snob?

We had some friends over the other night to share music, sing (karaoke), talk, and relax together. It was a night of top-shelf alcohol (whisky, whiskey, home-brew beer, and wine tasting – a friend is a home brewer) and fun times. We broke in some new karaoke equipment I got for my wife for...
  11. MrZero63

I’m In the Big Leagues Now!

I just finished setting up a pair of ’71 K-horns I bought from a gentleman named Bob through a Craigslist ad. Bob has a serious speaker collection, crowned with an Electro-Voice Patrician (exact version unknown – I didn’t ask because I was too busy wiping the drool from my mouth after seeing it...
  12. MrZero63

Audioengine 2 (A2) Premium Powered Desktop Speakers

The Audioengine 2 (A2) ($199 MSRP) powered speakers (15W RMS / 30W peak per channel) are eerily reminiscent of my upgraded Klipsch Heresy IIs (with Bob Crites’ titanium tweets and networks). 65Hz-22kHz +/-2.0dB (Heresy II has similar specs - 63Hz-20kHz +/-3.0dB according to Klipsch Web site)...
  13. MrZero63

Anyone Familiar with...

Magic Sing karaoke microphones? I'd like to ask the folks who enjoy karaoke a question about Magic Sing (Entertech) brand equipment. Background: I currently have a component karaoke system for my wife. An old JVC unit I bought about 10 years ago. I also bought her an AKG Perception 200...
  14. MrZero63

:-( Make your own 'exotic' speakers or What to do with your old hard drives

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2137593/make_your_own_exotic_speaker/ ... The video is over a year old and I'm not 100% certain this was never posted on AK, but I couldn't find it after a cursory forum search. I can't imagine the 'speakers' sounding too good, either...
  15. MrZero63

VPI Scout w/ JMW-9 Signature Tonearm

I just traded in my JMW-9 for a JMW-9 Signature Tonearm and WOW! - What a difference. The Valhalla wiring really brings out the bass, even after 1 hour of break-in. However, it does not stop there. The guitar on The Chameleons, "What Does Anything Really Mean, Basically", is more pronounced -...
  16. MrZero63

Happy Birthday Yamahammer!

Happy Birthday Yamahammer! :D:yippy:
  17. MrZero63

Happy Birthday dewickt

Here's wishing you a happy birthday and a great year, Terry! :beerchug: -Dave
  18. MrZero63

VPI JMW-9 vs. VPI JMW-9-Signature

I am contemplating an upgrade to my VPI Scout’s tonearm (currently fitted with a Dynavector 10X5) from the 'normally aspirated' JMW-9 to the 'turbo' JMW-9-Signature arm. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the Signature and can anyone compare the two? Or would it be a better to...
  19. MrZero63

Calling Fairbanks, Alaska, Come In...

I'm moving to Fairbanks in the near future and was wondering how many AKers are in the vicinity. I already looked it up on the AK map and found two folks but I wonder how many more just aren't sayin' but may want to get together in the future to listen to some music and have a BBQ with me and...
  20. MrZero63

Wine and Iced Tea

I can feel the flames already - but here goes: Shiraz and homemade iced tea 50/50 split = refreshing! Tastes like raspberry iced tea. My wife and I have bottled quite a few fruit wines that I have enjoyed drinking (she has about a shot of each bottle and she's finished, which leaves me to...
  21. MrZero63

KG-4.x Hybrid

I acquired a rather crappy pair of KG-4s for cheap recently - the cabs were a bit dented, both tweeters blown and two woofers crapped out. I ordered two k-8-k replacements from Klipsch, a pair of titanium diaphragms and a pair of networks from Bob Crites, and I puttied/stained/polyurethaned the...
  22. MrZero63

KG-4 Help

Last I saw at the Klipsch forum, a Klipsch worker stated (back in 2001) that the speaker manufacturer sold parts for the defunct speaker. I'm looking for a K-8-K 'woofer' and wanted to know if there were any other sources for direct Klipsch-blessed replacements other than the Klipsch factoy...
  23. MrZero63

'Bay Speaker Addition

I just received a pair of speakers from the 'bay and the seller said they 'work well'. I hooked them up and one of the tweeters is shot. I haven't 'rated' the seller yet and don't know if the person was lying, but they sound AWFUL with the bad tweeter (no way they work well). I I'll...
  24. MrZero63

Pound for Pound

I’m looking for ideas on floor standing speakers that are efficient (90 db and above), weigh less than 50 pounds each, and go for less than $350 a pair (in good condition without having to replace surrounds). I’d also like to have a 40 Hz – 20 kHz range or something close to it. Background –...
  25. MrZero63

imready

imready packs for the long haul. No worries about a tube tester getting to you in assorted parts! This thing could withstand at least a 4-foot drop on any side or edge and come out as good as it did before it left. He also stayed in touch and kept me up to date on the shipment, though he...
Back
Top Bottom