Search results

1. U

What kind of Solder?

So, after a "few hours", those chemicals just... disappear? Good to know. Read up on the world-wide push to ban glyphosate/Roundup. Including the EU. But, again, not the USA. Well, I've had enough of beating this dead horse. Some of us care about future generations and will make the necessary...
  2. U

What kind of Solder?

This quote is from a good source for the dangers of lead exposure in the workplace. "When lead is scattered in the air as a dust, FUME or MIST it can be inhaled and absorbed through your lungs and upper respiratory tract. Inhalation of airborne lead is generally the most important source of...
  3. U

What kind of Solder?

So what is your course of action? We do nothing? Go back to lead pipe and lead solder? Maybe put the lead back in gasoline, too, since ethanol is a joke? I have more faith in engineering to get things done. That does not mean it happens overnight. Again. Adapt. Improvise. Overcome.
  4. U

What kind of Solder?

I have no argument with that. I have tools that belonged to my father and I'm almost 70 YO myself. I have amps and preamps about 40 YO, the tape decks about 35 YO. Even my car is 11 YO and I just sunk a fair bit of money into it to keep it going. I had four motorcycles in the garage. At my age...
  5. U

OG Refreshing His OG with New Tech, Stumbling Some...

The U-Turn Audio Pluto 2 Phono Pre-Amp gets good reviews everywhere. The SQ is good, the product looks good and it's inexpensive. The only downside is no MC capability but, again, look at that price!
  6. U

What kind of Solder?

Lead-bearing solder is robust until those electronics end up in a landfill somewhere, as they invariably do because the recycling rate for trash in the USA is dismal at best, something like 5%. Then the lead gets into the leachate, the groundwater and then into people's bloodstreams. Toxic...
  7. U

What's the most useless, over-designed, or badly designed feature ?

I don't think that Dolby in cassette decks got enough of a beating here. I had two decks, different brands, both had Dolby B and C. Each deck sounded OK only with a tape made on that deck. I had to label the tapes accordingly. I had one repaired/calibrated and then the tapes already recorded on...
  8. U

What kind of Solder?

I just read a report on lead-free solder from the European electronics retailer Reichelt. Apparently, leaded solder is banned in the EU for electronics sold on the open market. That ban also holds for certain other countries, too. Hand-soldering for your own use can use leaded solder. There is...
  9. U

Looking at the Hana SL cartridge.

Many phono-stage preamps are fixed at 100 Ω when set to MC and at 47k Ω on MM. There is no fine-tuning so those preamps would not be optimum for all MC carts. Could a user be happy with the results of a non-optimum match? Perhaps...
  10. U

Turntable Preference...Manual, Automatic or Both

I had a Revox B-795 linear-tracker that I loved... until the motor speed developed a flutter that no one seemed to know how to fix. It's boxed away in a closet now. At about that same time, a fledgling company started a Kickstarter campaign to build turntables so I signed on. That, of course...
  11. U

What was the the last audio-related item you purchased?

I bought some capacitors for the phono-in jacks on my Hafler preamp. Now it sounds worse- the project is still in-progress...
  12. U

What's the most embarrassing piece of music in your collection?

I seem to remember an early Olivia Newton-John LP in my collection. It has to be very close to "unplayed" condition.
  13. U

The BEST car song not recorded by the Beach Boys

One more came to mind and I did not see it listed...
  14. U

Oh, I forgot some others by some local Massachusetts-based bands... "Last Cadillac On Earth" by The Fools "Roadrunner" by the Modern Lovers (I know, that one is already included) "Physical Speed" by Private Lightning "Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya"- by New England "Don't Run Wild" by the Del Fuegos...
  15. U

Do you like horns?

The speakers that I remember specifically NOT liking were Klipsch models in what are now called the Heritage series. Back in the day, I heard the K-horn, the LaScala, the Belle Klipsch and the Heresy. I really don't remember hearing the Cornwall. I don't recall any strong like or dislike of the...
  16. U

I'm a little late to the party here but... "I'm In Love With My Car" by Mike Ness "Sweet Little '66" by Steve Earle "Mustang Burn" by Jack Ingram
  17. U

Do you like horns?

Different horses for different courses. I never cared much for horn speakers because I was always aware that I was listening to separate drivers rather than a coherent point source. It always seemed to me that, with horn speakers, distance was your friend. Sometimes GREAT distance. I gravitated...
  18. U

Favorite Female Artists

Wow! I watched that vid. A few times. In a row. While my supper was getting cold. Didn't care...
  19. U

Looking at the Hana SL cartridge.

Not necessarily negative feedback but there is some issue of compatible MC loading. Hana recommends 400 ohms. Will your phono stage provide something close to that?
  20. U

Favorite Female Artists

My list might be a little off-beat but here it is... Laurie Sargent from the old Boston-based band Face To Face. I witnessed her singing SILENCE the crowd in a noisy rock club! Christine Ohlman. Kate Pierson & Cindy Wilson from the B-52s. Lindi Ortega. Kathleen Edwards. Susan Tedeschi. Floor...
  21. U

Modern or Vintage?

I fall into the full analog camp but for a different reason than most posted here- I like the ability to disconnect a faulty component for repair or replacement without losing operation of the entire system. So I have separate DACs, nothing built-in. Same with phono preamps. I like a minimum of...
  22. U

How many Watts are your main amps?

I started out 45 years ago with HK receivers, each with 30-something wpc. Then, I went to an NAD 2140 amp powering my new Acoustat speakers. I burned that amp up three times, the last time even running two 2140s in bridge mode. The remaining NAD powers the AV system now. I went to a 340 wpc...
  23. U

CD players- is one better than another and why

Interesting. The only newish CD player in my house is a Cambridge Audio CXC transport. I had bought a rare live Jason Isbell recording on CD and was excited to hear it when I arrived at the house. It would not play in that transport and actually was not even recognized as a CD loaded. I had no...
  24. U

MoFi news!

The SQ of MoFi records or the inclusion of a digital step in their process matters not. What matters is that they lied about the process and that constitutes fraud. There was no trial here. The matter was settled out of court which tells me that MoFi knew they had no chance of fighting this...
  25. U

Things I Did Not Know About Dolly Parton

This is what comes to mind when I hear the name "Dolly." Talent, class and charisma...
Back
Top Bottom