Search results

1. gogofast

Seems like this is a Craigslist scam (another David Culver scam)

I think the usual CL scammer got smarter by using the local location, but seems to be same description including the "will ground ship". Watch out.
  2. gogofast

Someone should grab these - around Seattle

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/ele/7567468253.html Looks like a great deal. Says they need surrounds redone. TOTL speakers probably worth $1.5k after a refoam. The seller is asking $250. No affiliation.
  3. gogofast

Basic questions about replacing old transistors

So, other than obviously dead or too leaky transistors, when do you recommend replacing old transistors? When the HFE falls below minimum? or a pair does not match closely?
  4. gogofast

Tonight, I am victorious! Nak 600-II

For last four days and nights, I've been battling with my old Nakamichi 600-II. It was dead on arrival. Took it apart cleaned and lubed every contact pieces and points, changed the belts and tires. Did what I can to bring it back to life. That was the easy part.... Fine tuning this thing is an...
  5. gogofast

Today, I was blown away by a little JVC VR-5515

While going through my inventory of things to fiddle with during a long break in my work, I found a JVC VR-5515 which I had bought from someone probably 10+ years ago. Powered it up, DC offset is quite high at around 200mV on each side. Pots are very dirty and barely making contacts. After a...
  6. gogofast

Desoldering station: what do you use?

I'm really tired of using the pump and ready to purchase a station. Is Hakko the best way to go? or are some of the alternatives still good? I see some around $150 with great reviews. What do you use? Your opinion is needed. Thanks.
  7. gogofast

Need help with KLH model 21 transformer

Hello, Over the last few months, I got into buying the KLH model 21's and had ton of fun restoring them from all sorts of conditions. Today, I ran into something I can't easily solve. This particular one came with something rattling inside. It was a little transformer in the audio board that...
  8. gogofast

In search of a transistor...

Recently bought an old Rega power amp with no output. Power comes on but the relay doesn't click in. While I haven't really done any thorough troubleshooting, a quick poking around points the problem to one of the bottom transistors. One side seems to be shorted while testing it in circuit...
  9. gogofast

Two prong plugs and chassis shock.

It never happened to me before, but I felt a shock while touching the chassis of a radio I was restoring. Radio has the fuse and all but with original two prong plug. When I reversed it, the shock went away. When the two prong is reversed by accident, does it always give voltage to the chassis...
  10. gogofast

KLH tabletop radios

I'm sure there are many other tabletop radio collectors out there. I've always admired and wanted to buy a KLH model eight, and a few months ago, I finally did and after a restoration, I listen to it at least a few times each week. That got me into other KLH models and what's currently most...
  11. gogofast

Teac X-7R slow rewind

I'm in the process of restoring a X-7R reel deck. It's such a nice looking and well built deck that I'd love to restore it to top shape and use it occasionally. What I've done so far: - installed new belts - took out the capstan block and cleaned all the sticky stuff & lubed - cleaned and...
  12. gogofast

Ceramic resistors for filter cap?

I am in the process of restoring a KLH tube radio. It has a few 220 ohm 2 watt resistors connected to the multi section filter cap can. I swear I had at least a dozen 220 ohms 5watt wirewound resistors in my parts drawer, but I just can't locate them. What I did find was a pair of ceramic...
  13. gogofast

Tuner alignment, how hard is it to a non-professional diy'er, really?

Since the beginning years of getting into this audio hobby, most threads and articles I've read about tuner alignments make a point of "leave it to the professional". Well, I've been trying to find a "professional" near me or even far away who would charge reasonable price, and so far, no luck...
  14. gogofast

Is this Magnavox TT any good? Why such high sold price?

I was searching for a part to repair my mid-fi TT's and then came across this finished auction. 98 bids and over a grand for Magnavox TT...
  15. gogofast

Large Advent with solid walnut cabs?

I was browsing ebay and saw these. Looks like the seller has some other speakers with new cabs. Not sure if solid cabs are a good idea, but surely looks very nice.
  16. gogofast

Fisher X100 output tubes 7189 vs 6BQ5

The chassis is labeled with "7189 / 6BQ5" so I assumed that matched pairs of 6BQ5 would work just fine, but I've read some online posting indicating that's not a good idea. At least screen voltage needs to be lowered? Anyone using 6BQ5 tube in the x100 amp? Or, new production 7189? If so, how...
  17. gogofast

X-100 potentiometers

I've read dozen threads about not being able to find good replacement volume/power pot for most Fisher receivers and amps. What about 1M bass/treble pots? I'm beginning to get frustrated with these pots in x-100. I'm thinking about just replacing every pot maybe. I won't use loudness switch...
  18. gogofast

How concerned should I be about Cadmium plated Fisher chassis?

Today I finally received a Fisher X-100 that I was searching for a while. I wanted a low powered tube integrated for highly efficient speakers during summer months, and x-100 fit the bill perfectly. All original tubes including the output. All tubes test excellent and I was ready to put it on...
  19. gogofast

60 cycle hum in Eico HF-12

I've been fiddling with HF-12's for the last few days. One of them had bad PT and OPT. Both swapped, and sounds great. Now the only problem is that it has 60 cycle hum. I've checked and rechecked all places point to point. Only thing I haven't done is check the ceramic caps. Now the funny...
  20. gogofast

Tantalum caps in 2220 boards?

I'm restoring a 2220 for a friend. It's been so long since I've done mine and cannot remember whether there were tantalums to be replaced in the preamp, phono and the power amp boards. I got the replacement parts for all the 'lytics and the eight KSC1845's, and wondering if there are any...
  21. gogofast

First Mouser order error in 15 years.

Today, I received an order from Mouser with an error for the first time in 15 years. In a bag labeled as "Nichicon 470uf 50v" capacitor, there was a KEMET polymer aluminum capacitor of unknown value. This certainly sucks having to wait for a replacement, but just realized that this has never...
  22. gogofast

C40 Harkness cabs - what drivers will work?

I have a pair of DIY C40 cabs that are rough but too well made to junk or have 'em sit unrestored. What 15" fullranger can work in them? I mean with the horn/tweeter slots sealed. Anyone with experience? I've read certain type of 604's will work well, but what about something more affordable...
  23. gogofast

Can you tell the difference between 320kbps vs. lossless?

I've been dealing with spotify and tidal for the last several years and for the convenience more than anything, been using the digital sources for most listening around my house. Read an interesting article this morning. article...
  24. gogofast

G7700 recap & loud pop at power on

Hello, I've recently started on a G7700 that was stored in my garage for a few years. I remember it having no problem at all and sounding great. It still does but with one problem now - loud pop when turned on before the relay and other clicks kick in. I've read some people mentioning this...
  25. gogofast

Sansui G7700 loud pop at power on.

I placed my G7700 in cue as part of winter project lineup. I used it for more than a year but took out of rotation about 3 years ago. When I recently took it out of storage area, it sounded and performed just fine as it did 3 years ago. When I hooked it up today for another testing, it gave...
Back
Top Bottom