Search results

1. jon_s

Show us Videos of your systems! Let's see and hear them!

I just put Tin Pan Alley (not vinyl, though -- 48kHz Apple Music into a DAP-5500) on my 910s, after listening to this on my MacBook Pro, and YouTube indeed does a fairly good job at conveying how seriously nice they are. Better in person, of course :rflmao:
  2. jon_s

GE 7600 and 7700 'Stereo Classic' tube amplifiers

Glad to hear the caps are okay. Please do send the actual schematics - I don't seem to have the correct one here, and believe my paper copies are in another state. And, yes, I agree with gadget; check those speakers! Speaker selector switch is also flakey on these. I'm assuming you've already...
  3. jon_s

Replying again, I really don't trust the phase reverse switch... Check that carefully. :idea:
  4. jon_s

Okay, here's more... Are you still measuring different values for the coupling caps in circuit? (That's weird to me... but these are difficult measurements in a circuit.) So, I can't find a schematic of the whole thing, but have you confirmed that the speaker phase switch isn't getting stuck...
  5. jon_s

For the transformer, you can confirm it is okay by measuring (when the unit is unplugged and the capacitors are confirmed to be discharged) the primary resistance - as labeled in the schematic, it is about ~220 ohms per side. These are really good transformers; they should be fine. It seems your...
  6. jon_s

Oh, wiring it “after” (on the wiper) is fine as long as you always keep the control in the center. So I wouldn’t worry too much! The hum during warmup is totally normal, and probably due to the three supplies warming up at different rates. But, I’d still replace the selenium bias rectifier with...
  7. jon_s

No problem - And, I'm not surprised that the 6973 amp is the better sounding of the two! Those are great tubes, but more importantly the GE's output transformers are phenomenal. You can tell they are something "different" just by the laminations, which have some interesting epoxy impregnation...
  8. jon_s

ADS L810 Woofer

As it turns out from the pics Spiceman sent, this doesn’t match mine either! So I’m stumped.
  9. jon_s

ADS L810 Woofer

I'm also curious because I believe my 810 uses the yellow sticker drivers, and the red one I bought looks and sounds very slightly different (although better than the mismatched earlier 206-0317 that came with the speaker). Sent you a PM!
  10. jon_s

Denon PMA-S1 (+DCD-S1)

I haven't felt motivated to carry the Denons down to the family room, nor to bring the 910s upstairs, so I sold 5.5 pairs of extra speakers to declutter and bought a local pair of 810s for fun :) And, indeed, they do sound lively and fun; natural, ear pleasing although maybe a bit more bright...
  11. jon_s

AR 302 vs. ADS 710/810/980? (Bought a pair of L810-IIs)

Got the 810s and the cabinets and grilles are simply gorgeous. They sound good, bass (minus a quirk) and midrange are just right, but one tweeter is dead -- it had a 3A fuse on it :( Fortunately, I have a working spare -0117 plus a non-working spare that could be rebuilt into a pair if needed...
  12. jon_s

Getting a pair of 810s tomorrow morning (after selling 5.5 pairs of speakers last weekend as justification for an impulse buy). They are series 2 (metal grilles) with custom stands, in very nice original aesthetic condition, but with some quirks to address (woofers beginning to sag/rub - some...
  13. jon_s

That's my experience with the AR 302s - they have a weighty dry sound that is either really compelling or slightly boring. The ADS 910 just sound gorgeous and enormous on basically everything. I'm hoping the smaller ones do, too. Will probably steer clear of towers, since I'm on the second...
  14. jon_s

Thanks for the replies - Yes, the L980s are big, but I was just thinking smaller than 910s or the four-digit models, and stand-mount vs. floor-standing. :) The L880s are closer to the AR302 in size and configuration. Was also thinking the 710 plus a sub may be more manageable in my 12x12...
  15. jon_s

Did you ever figure this out? I also have noticed that both channels do not match perfectly in my GE amps (the 6973 ones). Tom suggested the low-cut filter switch, which can get stuck on or off one channel if dirty, so it will appear to have little effect when switched but is actually just...
  16. jon_s

My ears are on the gradual decline, so I have been looking for some easier listening 3 ways for my listening room - I already own AR 302s with awesome steel stands but they are stored out of state. I have been very pleased with ADS 910 in my family room system here, and see 810s and others...
  17. jon_s

Great Dealing w/BRENTJ

I also had a very pleasant deal with Joseph on a pair of Kimber 4TC. Quick and easy!
  18. jon_s

Sony CDP R-1 / DAS R-1 vs modern unit..Ayon CD5

I'm curious how your story ended up -- Did you keep the Denon or make a switch to something different? I finally picked up a DCD-S1 for my "collection", and it is really an excellent vintage player.
  19. jon_s

Denon PMA-S1 (+DCD-S1)

So, after months of searching, I found a clean DCD-S1. Missing remote, but in good condition. Seems to be relatively late production, which is appreciated (maybe fewer miles on the transport). Also appears more "golden" than my PMA-S1. Does not look or smell smoke-stained, so maybe it is just...
  20. jon_s

Denon PMA-S1 (+DCD-S1)

I agree, the full PRA-S1 + POA-S1 system must be in a completely different performance category than the PMA-S1 (at the least, the PRA-POA system has 5x the power, not to mention some of the most exotic circuits and parts complements that I've ever seen in consumer products). If I were single...
  21. jon_s

Any Denon DAP 5500 or DAP 2500 Pre-amp users?

Digging up your old thread here, I have a DAP2500 and POA4400s in my family room system (with ADS 910). Overall, this is a really neat old DAC; I use it with an Apple TV for a 2-channel home theater. For a while, I had it in the listening room, with turntable, and driving tube amps. There, I...
  22. jon_s

Denon PMA-S1 (+DCD-S1)

Listened to a few things yesterday... Dave Brubeck, Wood Brothers... Plenty of power compared to my tube amps, but it can get a bit squishy and thin at higher volumes (just like the tubes). Still haven't tried it with the ADSs ... some day.
  23. jon_s

do you leave your tube amps on?

A surge protector isn't enough - a brief power outage without any surge can still take out a tube. Power cycling a fixed-bias tube amp can leave the cathodes warm enough to conduct, while the B+ and bias supplies each fight their way to reach steady-state; hope that the bias supply gets there first.
  24. jon_s

My first tube preamps!

The Foreplay really is amazing. I had the same thoughts about it. Very lively and fun, and not what you'd expect from a little metal plate on a wood box! Tube gear can easily turn into an obsession. After the Foreplay and Basie, I owned a Juicy Music Peach. That was a very nice preamp with the...
  25. jon_s

My first tube preamps!

Very good! The wire I used was the Bottlehead "Magnet Wire", which is nice copper but has a tricky enamel coating on it. I hope all of the joints are secure, but the wires to the jacks may be a weak point.
Back
Top Bottom