Search results

1. uxwbill

2252b no blue lights! Bulbs out or something else?

I think the seller may be telling a story, but it's plausible that all the bulbs had their filaments broken during shipping. One cannot underestimate the kind of abuse that packages and their contents are subject to when shipping. They're probably all original and that's a long time for a bulb...
  2. uxwbill

One of the Worst

I guess it just goes to show how tastes differ. :D I'm not familiar with the first couple of songs, but Hooked On A Feeling was always something of a toe-tapper whenever it came on, even if it wasn't a particularly sophisticated piece. I'm surprised to hear that! The first time I ever heard...
  3. uxwbill

Vintage vs. "New" Phono Preamp

Given the age of the Pioneer, I'm not sure it's a fair fight. Unless the Pioneer been electrically restored to meet the specs it had when new, it's quite possible that aged components are giving it a disadvantage compared to the newer phono preamps you've tried.
  4. uxwbill

What recording technique could make a guitar sound muffled in mono but OK in stereo?

Random guess...I'd say that it's possible that there might be phase issues (relation of one waveform to another) that could be causing part of the sound to be cancelled when forcing the stereo signal to monophonic.
  5. uxwbill

Optoma to Kindle

I found a data sheet for that projector. It supports various analog TV video inputs (component, composite, S-Video) and analog VGA input. The Kindle Fire seemingly does not have any form of video output capability (where the Kindle Fire HD supposedly does). I say "seemingly" because I didn't...
  6. uxwbill

Maxell or tdk cassettes???

In terms of current production, I'd say the Maxell tapes are better. After Imation took over TDK's media business, the quality seems to have declined. If you're talking of older, used or new old stock tapes, I'd say both are good. By "older" I mean from the mid-90s back to cassette tape's...
  7. uxwbill

Optoma to Kindle

Do you have the model number of the Optoma device? (Presumably it's a projector of some kind.) Exactly what Kindle device do you have? Many of these newfangled tablets and such use HDMI or a variant to connect with another display device. Some can do so via special use of Wi-Fi.
  8. uxwbill

anyones else collect vintage slot cars?

No, I don't collect slot car stuff from the 60s. (Also: I'm only a bit older than you are.) I did, however, have a slot car track in the early 90s, and my dad contributed some of the slot cars he had when younger. I still have nearly all the cars, and most of the track. My cars and track were...
  9. uxwbill

Why do you care

I don't, so maybe the question is not directed to me? :D Oh well, that's never stopped me before. I've always considered Audiokarma to run the whole gamut of everything there is to do with audio equipment and its usage, from boutique and/or high end to low end stuff. Though I don't agree...
  10. uxwbill

What Medium Were You Just Hearing Your Music With?

Other, as I was listening to the radio. Immediately prior to that, compact cassette.
  11. uxwbill

Any MC 502 Love?

Offhand all I can think to say is that if you like the way your system and components sound, that's really the only thing that matters. (I've never owned any, but I can't imagine any piece of McIntosh equipment in reasonable working order to sound "bad".) Welcome to Audiokarma. Do feel free...
  12. uxwbill

new Caprice 9c1

Locally, no. But I have seen a few of them on the highways, as well as Ford's Taurus based model as well. So far the Taurus Police Interceptor seems to be more popular than the Caprice PPV. I'd love to drive either one sometime. I think Ford made a big mistake ending production of the Panther...
  13. uxwbill

Is this a bad idea?

Better where it is now than on the floor. I don't think there is likely to be any problem. If you are worried about the heat, maybe put a quiet running fan on the other side of the room, pointed at the stack? Edit: is that a "headless" laptop on the bottom? :D
  14. uxwbill

Technics SA-550 Strange Fault

This doesn't behave like a bad solder joint usually would. It's immune to bumping, jarring, flexing of the PCBs and wiring connectors. I know contact cleaner can and may displace grease, but this would be the first time I've had such a problem with those switches, and I've cleaned a lot of...
  15. uxwbill

Just getting started...Need some bookshelfs.

MCS was a brand of JC Penney stores. Some of the MCS equipment was unique, some of it was pretty ignorable and some of it was pretty good (if not seriously underrated). It all depends upon what it was that you saw. Some of the standalone turntables were made by Technics, and while I'm...
  16. uxwbill

Do current speakers of a certain price point exceed the performance of past speakers?

Electrically, I don't really think so. "Most" speaker drivers aren't very efficient at turning electricity into sound and that's been true for a long time. (Slightly more efficient speaker designs do exist, such as horn types.) I've not noticed any big difference in old speakers of decent...
  17. uxwbill

Does audio gear get better with time... or not?

I don't know. There's always the matter of some components possibly needing "break in" time (something I'm not so sure I believe in, though I don't totally discount it either) before sounding their best. I've had some audio equipment here that I didn't think sounded good at first, only to...
  18. uxwbill

The best tuner ever

Here are some tuners I've had good experiences with and would recommend to others. - Sansui TU-D99AMX (especially if you want to hear an AM stereo station) - Carver TX11a (almost reaches the performance of Sony's XDR-F1HD) - Kenwood KT-880 (very basic, but good performance and great bass)...
  19. uxwbill

Dunno. It had been playing fine for a few days after the cleaning. I tried to be careful with where the cleaner went, but that's always a difficult thing to do. The right channel started to struggle with distortion and cutting out before it finally went silent. This will require more...
  20. uxwbill

Technics SU-Z35 amplifier left channel problem

Well, I realize that I'm probably talking to myself here...and that it's not the best idea to bring an old. forgotten thread back to life, but...I never was one for doing what's smart. :D The power amplifier in your SU-Z35, like many other Technics receivers and amplifiers of the time, is a...
  21. uxwbill

Well, whaddya know? I let it rest for the night, unplugged and it's been fine all day from all sources... :scratch2:
  22. uxwbill

Walmart Batteries

I've had very good results with the Everstart MAXX batteries. The most recent one I owned managed almost seven years worth of freezing, baking and being run down once before it failed. (It failed in a very interesting way, in that it would "cut out". I think one of the plate connections might...
  23. uxwbill

I recently relapsed and picked up a Technics SA-550 receiver. :D After routine contact cleaning and repair to the damaged front panel buttons, it worked fine. That is, until today. I had the built in tuner playing and suddenly the volume dropped quite a bit. I thought this had to be a problem...
  24. uxwbill

I did 109 MPH Yesterday evening...Whats the Fastest You've ever Driven?

A few months ago, relative to the date of this post, I really outdid myself. After stewing about it for a long time, I bought this thing: I don't regret it for an instant. It is a BLAST to drive, and you just don't see them any more. Having been an "old folks" car, this thing is...
  25. uxwbill

Quasar audio components?

The CD player in the example picture bears more than a slight resemblance to some of the Technics CD players I have. I'd be surprised if the Panasonic, Quasar or Technics CD players had any significant internal differences. Perhaps higher end models were simply restricted for the upmarket...
Back
Top Bottom