Search results

1. LexDM3

Service for Empire TT in Louisville, KY?

Thanks for the suggestions. I’d fix that Empire in a heartbeat if it were mine but my friend is not an experienced audio guy and he lives a long way from me.
  2. LexDM3

Service for Empire TT in Louisville, KY?

A good friend of mine just inherited what looks like an Empire 398 TT with a Shure M55E cartridge from his father. It hasn’t been used in a long and should be checked out by an expert before he starts using it. Can anyone suggest a good TT tech in Louisville or maybe in Nashville or...
  3. LexDM3

Ω Ω October 22nd 2022 FALL FrankenFest in West Boylston, MA Ω Ω

Hi everyone. I’m sorry to miss the last gathering. I’ll do better next time. Paul (DeliHaus) is fine and I speak with him regularly. I told him people have been asking about him here. Perhaps he will make an appearance here again soon.
  4. LexDM3

♫♫ April 2nd 2022 spring FrankenFest in West Boylston, MA. ♫♫

I’m “esteemed?” Nah, don’t think so but I’ll start working on it now. :beerchug:
  5. LexDM3

♫♫ April 2nd 2022 spring FrankenFest in West Boylston, MA. ♫♫

Thanks to Jim and the other organizers. And thanks to all of you who went home with nice gear that will no longer take up space in my house, my mind and my working hours. Bring on those house projects!
  6. LexDM3

Happy Birthday LexDM3!

Thanks! I did exactly that.
  7. LexDM3

Finding a noisy resistor with a scope.

I had the unenviable task of making our late friend audiodon’s “Masterpiece Citation” ready to sell a few years back. Don bought that HK Citation II for a LOT of money from someone who made a lot of mistakes when he supposedly turned it into a “masterpiece.” Hah! One of the many problems that...
  8. LexDM3

Replace working transistors in MC2105?

Hi c_dk. Thanks for the help. Yes, I saw that the first "output" transistor serves as a pre-driver for the two real outputs. All 12 of the TO-3's in this amp have 1969 date codes within 5 weeks of each other and look to be original. I have let the amp play for about 24 hours now and it's...
  9. LexDM3

Replace working transistors in MC2105?

Mac Wizards - I bought an MX114 and MC2105 pair back in November and am bringing them back to life now. The MX114 is fine but is not switching to FM stereo so that needs a bit of attention. The MC2105 hummed badly when I tried it before buying it so I knew it would need cap and power supply...
  10. LexDM3

Vintage Sansui Model 250 — Hum and Distortion

Good. Some early Sansui receivers like the 881 hum due to bad grounding. Not sure if your 250 is similar but see if there are any grounding wires and lugs on any of the circuit boards. If so, remove them, clean everything up and reattach them well. It sounds like that’s not your issue but it’s...
  11. LexDM3

CANCELLED - ♫ Saturday March 21, 2020♫ New England Winter FrankenFest

Good call, Jim. Given what we now know about rapidly this disease is spreading, we need to make our own decisions. And this is the right one. Thanks!
  12. LexDM3

Marantz, McIntosh, Tannoy and Thorens find of a lifetime

That’s insane! Congrats!
  13. LexDM3

Happy Birthday LexDM3!

Thanks, everyone. I HAD a good birthday!
  14. LexDM3

You guys are killing me! Ok, if (and only if) I have room for the big ADS speakers will they make the trip. I’m going to be listing a bunch of nice stuff for delivery at the event if someone wants to buy any of it so I may not have room for the speakers, amps, preamp, etc. I’ll try...
  15. LexDM3

I got some ADS L1590/2’s recently. With a bridged Apt amp driving each one, pipe organ music sounds wonderful. As does all other music. If they were a bit more portable I’d bring them out for this event.
  16. LexDM3

Ampex amps?

Yep, speaker amps. I have a pair of those speaker amps in great condition that I haven’t even powered up yet. They should be nice.
  17. LexDM3

ADS L1590/2 + Bridged Apt Amps = Nice!

No, I did the amps myself and Vic of Wiktor Amps did the preamp. I do not use AudioProz for anything. 'Nuff said on that.
  18. LexDM3

A tale of Don, Dan and two IBAMs

Nice work, Dave! Next time around I’ll go the whole distance as you did with the EFB and bias supply board as well. How does it sound?
  19. LexDM3

Maybe a little, but I don't believe that they make that much of a difference once you go above 100 Hz compared to the smaller woofers in the 1290s. A larger cone and VC/magnet assembly can of course move more air so they probably are capable of higher overall volumes but I would guess the...
  20. LexDM3

The 1290 and 1590 are very similar overall but the 1590 (not surprisingly) goes lower and has more emphatic lows if it's there in the source material. If you are playing back kids singing, you won't hear a difference. If you play the bass solo on the Allman Brothers "Mountain Jam," Berry...
  21. LexDM3

Nekkid pictures, as requested.
  22. LexDM3

Sure thing. I'll do that tomorrow when the light is better.
  23. LexDM3

How nude are we talking here? Grills off? Or were you looking for "Grills Gone Wild" shots? Not gonna happen! :rflmao:
  24. LexDM3

Aptone, it's in the user manual twice. The bridging mode is pretty simple in concept. When you put the back panel switch into bridging/mono mode, the single input signal is fed in original phasing to one amp channel but is inverted to send to the other amp channel. So if the input waveform is...
  25. LexDM3

I'm listening to my system with a couple of recent upgrades and am smiling from ear to ear. ADS speakers are a favorite of mine and a number of them have passed through here. And many have stayed. I have been using L1290/2's in my main system and in my dining room and have 300s with a sub in...
Back
Top Bottom