Search results

1. Mico

Project: Onkyo TX-8500 (mkI)

That is correct, measuring across R39 or ID and CT points would give the same idle current value. Service manual calling for 40mV is too high and would make receiver run warmer than needed. Which was probably the case when these were brand new. But 10mV recommended by Onkyo engineer was also...
  2. Mico

How old is this capacitor?

Ok thanks, I advised the owner, that us exactly what I would do on my unit. I have already heard about new caps being on the lower end of tolerance, that is a cheap shot. Right now I am thinking of replacing 4 x 13.000uF in Onkyo A-7090 so I should aim at 15.000uF to get to the point. And this...
  3. Mico

Thank you, I put it back in the unit but will look for date, hopefully this info could be seen without removing it again. If it was ~30 years old when installed than shelf life has been exceeded several times, should it be replaced or just left alone? Another issue is that originals were 55V...
  4. Mico

I am working on Marantz 2245 which was already recaped in 2019 and someone replaced the main filter caps with this humongous Mallorys. Being 10.000µF/50V and considering the size I doubt they could be a relatively recent capacitors. Does anyone has any idea from which era are these? The owner...
  5. Mico

Marantz 2220 or Yamaha CR-640?

2220 is very basic low wattage (2x20w) receiver, if Yamaha (2x40w) had a discrete output stage instead of power packs, I would say Yamaha. I have seen way too many lower end Yamaha receivers with bad STK packs, and based on that factor alone I would keep Marantz without second thought.
  6. Mico

Onkyo TX-2500 Mk II Locked/Stereo/Tuned light replacement help

I did not work on that particular model but it should be very similar to 2500/4500/8500 MKI versions which I have or had. No need to slide rubber boots up, you should be able to pull the tiny bulb out. But, sometimes rubber gets carbonized by heat and the tiny glass bulb is than stuck inside...
  7. Mico

Kenwood KA-405, one channel gone

To summarize this weirdo case: one single hair-like trace crack under the (right channel) wire connecting preamp and amp boards. A** busting stuff....
  8. Mico

Most if not all of these scenarios would mean a short (or open transistors) ) and in that case I would have either: relay not engaging or a blown fuse(s). And for sure not normal DC on both sides as it is now. It seems a bit more fishy than that. Amp was completely recapped and runs barely...
  9. Mico

No, all tone/volume and other controls work as they should, including unique "mixer pot" on the far right side. Something "popped" in that channel, it was obvious as VU meter jumped off the chart with no signal input.
  10. Mico

Ok I made a mistake and posted this question on the tail of a VERY old KA- 450 restoration thread. I can not edit or delete it so moderators feel free to intervene... Now to the point: I have 2 KA-405 amps and one has been fully restored. It was done 3 years ago and amp was working fine -...
  11. Mico

The KA-405 restoration

John, I jumped on the old thread not knowing how to PM you on this new AK layout. I have 2 KA-405 amps and one has been fully restored, not exactly to the same extend as the one you did but very close. It was done 3 years ago and amp was working fine - until 2 days ago. I was comparing 3...
  12. Mico

Onkyo TX-2500 MK II - PCB labels don't match SM

I worked on all the receivers from that series but never relied too much on the SM. Less mistakes than with some other manufacturer`s documentation but still not having all the changes which came during the unit`s production span.
  13. Mico

Marantz 2226B tuner problem

Ok I found image quicker than I expected. One of these two caps had bad solder joint. Might or might not be the case with yours, but you can always try to move them and see if the channel comes back. Any other spot might do cause the same problem as well, the easiest non-intrusive way is to...
  14. Mico

David, I was on a long overseas trip and did not look into AK at all. My problem with 2226B was of a different nature, one channel on FM was completely absent, dead, no sound at all. It was on one of the capacitors in the FM circuit, but if you have buzzing sound coming from your AM section it...
  15. Mico

Problem solved, after eyeballing tuner`s PCB for two days I have found one single cold solder joint...
  16. Mico

I have got friend`s 2226B for overhaul and cleaning, and the tuner section has an issue. When FM is in stereo mode only one channel is playing, Pressing Mono switch brings the sound back on both speakers but I believe it is only one channel spread around. Other sources are playing fine in both...
  17. Mico

Onkyo TX-4500: distortion driving me nuts

Are you referring to these two mysterious pots? I used to know what they did, will look into my notes.
  18. Mico

Which AR model is this?

Ditto...too bad.
  19. Mico

Which AR model is this?

So you think those woofers are not original? Makes sense, I was surprised they looked so 'fresh' as most originals would have had rotten foam, long ago.
  20. Mico

Which AR model is this?

I have a chance to pick these for a very reasonable amount, but can not figure out the model number. Obviously paper cone tweeter, but no model info at the front. One tweeter is pressed in but I hope I could pull it out.
  21. Mico

Cambridge Audio D500SE no sound

Well, the Boogie man came back...few days ago the static crackling and eventual sound loss came back. It does not happen right away, it takes minimum 30-40 minutes of constant playing. In the mean time I completely recapped the DAC but this did not cure the problem. Now I suspect it might be one...
  22. Mico

Cambridge Audio D500SE no sound

Finally got the parts from Mouser and replaced the stock relay with Omron G5V-2 (9V). Player works like a charm, it has been running for two days without a single hick-up. Considering that I did not touch anything else and that at least one more 500SE unit occasionally exhibits the same problem...
  23. Mico

M-80 BDT question

Which was probably holding on a thread before I opened the amp...
  24. Mico

M-80 BDT question

Thanks, I will order a couple for sure.
  25. Mico

M-80 BDT question

The whole front panel PCB was smashed in, it was firmly stuck and could not be moved without dismantling the whole setup. Which I refused to do. What do you think about no indicator/LED lights on power on? Maybe 100W bulb does not let enough even for that purpose, this thing is burning ~ 1000W...
Back
Top Bottom