Search results

1. Mico

How old is this capacitor?

I am working on Marantz 2245 which was already recaped in 2019 and someone replaced the main filter caps with this humongous Mallorys. Being 10.000µF/50V and considering the size I doubt they could be a relatively recent capacitors. Does anyone has any idea from which era are these? The owner...
  2. Mico

Kenwood KA-405, one channel gone

Ok I made a mistake and posted this question on the tail of a VERY old KA- 450 restoration thread. I can not edit or delete it so moderators feel free to intervene... Now to the point: I have 2 KA-405 amps and one has been fully restored. It was done 3 years ago and amp was working fine -...
  3. Mico

Marantz 2226B tuner problem

I have got friend`s 2226B for overhaul and cleaning, and the tuner section has an issue. When FM is in stereo mode only one channel is playing, Pressing Mono switch brings the sound back on both speakers but I believe it is only one channel spread around. Other sources are playing fine in both...
  4. Mico

Which AR model is this?

I have a chance to pick these for a very reasonable amount, but can not figure out the model number. Obviously paper cone tweeter, but no model info at the front. One tweeter is pressed in but I hope I could pull it out.
  5. Mico

M-80 BDT question

I had here an M-80 which sustained a heavy fall in transport. Someone brought it in for Service Bulletin upgrades and I (stupidly) took it in despite obvious external damage. I removed the top cover and face plate and noticed displaced front panel PCB (one corner pushed in at least 5mm) and few...
  6. Mico

Cambridge Audio D500SE no sound

I have 3 of these, like them very much. I remember one ( not sure which) would sometimes be silent if I unplug it and connect again. It would read the disc and play it, but no audio output and switching it on/off would usually cure the issue. Now, the only black sample I have recently went...
  7. Mico

Kenwood KT-9X , one channel weaker

I have a couple TOTL tuners from well known brands but sound-wise this is my favorite. So I decided to recap it, and it required quite an effort to finalize it (+70 capacitors...) Now, few days ago I realized that one side is about 50% weaker than the other. Funny thing is that I can not...
  8. Mico

Au-777D in shambles

Another Japan purchase of my friend, and this 777D is really a can of worms. I started routine checkup with DC offset, left side ~700mV but right channel was at 1.3V ! I KNEW it was not a DC offset pot, but I manged to get DC down to a reasonablet ~50mV on both sides by turning Vr801/Vr-802...
  9. Mico

Kenwood Supreme 600T meter ligts

I have to replace Signal and Tuning lights on my friend`s 600T but can not find any info on the values and shape of those. He lives 2 hours drive from me so no way to pop up the hood and look for it.
  10. Mico

SX-1250 - Curb find!

Yes, hard to believe that it still happens, even in 2021. My friend picked SX-1250 from the curb on Thursday early morning in Montreal, just few hours before garbage truck would have taken this beauty to a dump site...I went to see it last night and concluded that power amp was working fine...
  11. Mico

Supreme 600 troubles

I have got pristine Supreme 6oo from a friend to get a quick check of basic parameters, it seems it was sitting unused for a long time. Everything got adjusted and looked OK but I noticed that one channel was previously repaired: Toshiba SB-554 / SD-424 outputs in place of original Sankens...
  12. Mico

Help needed to identify a tweeter

A week ago I acquired a very nice pair of Canadian-made Camber SC 700 speakers. I liked them very much from the start and decided to recap the X-over right away, now sounding even better. The only flaw is that one of the tweeters has wrinkled metal dome, most likely semi-successful recovery...
  13. Mico

Kenwood KA-405, no idle current adjustment

I got his beauty recently for peanuts, everything works fine except for the dirty relay contacts. I immediately fell in love with both looks and the sound, but there is one thing that bugs me; although being 100% discrete, amp section does not have any adjustments, neither DC offset nor idle...
  14. Mico

Hitachi HA-112B reed relay replacement.

Have a bad 112B reed relay in Onkyo P-303 preamplifier, searched Internet high and low, nothing, let alone datasheet. Does anyone has experience substituting one of these in P-303 or any other piece of gear? Thanks
  15. Mico

Kenwood KT-9X memory loss

I have had this great sounding gem for more than a year and at first memory would (kind of) work properly. Than after a while upon powering the tuner on, frequency would shift for about +0.5Hz, and eventually memory stopped working all together. There is some scary toxic, weirdo 3V battery...
  16. Mico

Rebuilding Pulse power supply

This is my first close encounter with any pulse power supply other than seeing them in marketing materials. I got a nice Akai PA-W04 power amp with a matching preamp and want to restore it. Pulse power supply being most urgent, I opened it to make parts list and was baffled with capacitor types...
  17. Mico

Luxman R-115 compared to R-114

I have an opportunity to pick decent R-115 for a reasonable amount. But having being disappointed with R-114 few years ago I would like to hear from someone who had both or at least had a chance to compare them. If 115 is just more powerful version of 114 and has the same sonic signature, not...
  18. Mico

Fried my first amp

There is always a first time when adjusting bias goes wrong...I avoided it for a very, very long time by religiously following the rules established by others and those I learned along the way. What happened; friend asked me to adjust his Onkyo M-508 which was, according to him, getting too...
  19. Mico

Are all CD-Rs really having the same sound?

Still burning CD-Rs , just can not accept the idea of having my favorite music in a somebody else`s house (or "cloud', live stream, you name it). For 20 years I got used to idea that bits are bits and never questioned or even seriously compared the quality of original and the copy. This idea...
  20. Mico

Audio Grade capacitors catharsis

After recapping everything vintage audio I have/had and wanted to keep , it seems I got my self red- handed. Why it took me so long is hard to explain, but I will get on the subject. Every time I would run on one off those orange, and slightly less common yellow or green electrolytic...
  21. Mico

ONKYO M-506 lights problem

I worked on this M-506 for a few days, high bias high DC offset and few other serious things, all sorted out. Than decided to replace few burned meter lights, four green and four orange (when in protection) for each side. Originals were 14V /150mA and I did not know that (until now). So I had...
  22. Mico

SONY TA-F555 ESG problem

A friend of mine got this Japan-only model some time ago an it was not in a good shape: a lot of chassis corrosion, dirty contacts and relays all over the place, etc. Not having any technical documentation I have put it in a best possible shape but one problem remains unsolved. There is a...
  23. Mico

Volume potentiometer taper curve?

I have to replace volume pot on my Onkyo Tx-8500 and have two Bournes potentiometers in the Mouser cart. Other than slightly different pin length (which should not be the issue anyway) I see that taper resistance curve is different. One is Type A and the other Type B, I do not get the concept...
  24. Mico

Unexplainable noisy CD transport

Probably being one of the very few ones stubbornly sticking to CD players, I continue hoarding them. Few weeks ago I got my third Cambridge Audio D500SE for 25$ with remote control. Very decent outside but had problems with tracking/transport and burned display lights. This week I finally had...
  25. Mico

Kenwood KA-9X , Sigma drive anyone?

Picked this one along with KT-9X tuner technically for free, but it is in protection mode. Not shorted but for sure not in a good health. I located problem on the left channel, can not adjust bias and DC is 9.5V when relay is closed manually. What is even more strange, as soon as A or B...
Back
Top Bottom