Search results

1. R

Winamp fans, a dark day.

Too bad... It really whipped the llama's @$$.
  2. R

Up grade from Denon DL 160

I kind of threw that one in because it had already been suggested. It's really a very similar design to the DL-160 and uses a similar elliptical stylus. There's really no reason to call it "better" than the DL-160, just a slightly different flavor that some people may prefer and some, like you...
  3. R

Up grade from Denon DL 160

I pretty much agree with that, although you can get some nice detail out of a 103 with proper loading (way over the 100 Ohms many people are running this cartridge at). But, I agree the DL-160 and DL-103 are both gateway drug cartridges with similar performance and you'd want to move up higher...
  4. R

Questions about dierct drive TT

The wow and flutter on your table should be .025% WRMS. If you're hearing it, the table needs service.
  5. R

U-Turn Audio’s $150 Orbit turntable- pic

I can hear when the anti-skate is a bit off these days. I bet you could get close just by playing with the leveling of the table a smidge though.
  6. R

Phono stage input capacitance list.

If you're willing to open the unit and change capacitors, the 200pF loading capacitors are probably right by the inputs on the PC board.
  7. R

For serious listening, which Technics...

All of the Technics direct-drives are pretty good. I like some of the later models that still had standard S-shaped tonearms. The mechanisms for cueing and auto functions are simpler (and newer) than those in the earlier models and less likely to be troublesome. A quartz-locked model would be my...
  8. R

Technics SL-D2 - Worth restoring?

The link's not working for me, but this table seems to use a neon lamp that simply pulses with the line current, unlike their quartz-locked tables.
  9. R

AT13Ea

accidental post
  10. R

AT13Ea

I used to have one of those around. I know for a fact it's not .004 x .007 like the other guy said. The "X" means extra fine and it's supposed to be an upgrade, not a downgrade. It's 002 x .007. The standard ATN13 version is .003 x .007. I thought it was nude, but I no longer have it and I could...
  11. R

Mystery Headshell leads.

I tend not to like the sound of any wire with multiple conductors that aren't finely stranded. But, you never know...
  12. R

Are More Expensive Carts Better Or Just Different?

More expensive cartridges almost always have slightly better frequency extension at both ends and they sound bit more "airy", smooth and effortless. Lower-priced cartridges tend to sound a bit "thick" at certain frequencies, causing a little "hardness" or "grain". Just like lower-priced...
  13. R

Hum with Rega Elys cart on a P1

You definitely don't want to hook it up like the Ortofon. That was the problem. What you have there for the Elys looks correct. The Elys is marked on the back. There's a "+" by the top 2 pins (red is right +, white is left +). There is a "-" by the bottom 2 pins (green is right -, blue is...
  14. R

Closed back headphone recommendations

I bought the silver anniversary edition of the M50s awhile back. I didn't like them at all until I put a square of 1/8" thick foam padding on each ear piece to damp them a bit. The highs were excessive before that and the damping fixed them right up. I figure it might be because the silver...
  15. R

Phono Pre: ART DJPRE II vs. DB Systems DB-8

I think 1.7 sounds great! 1.8 maybe not quite right... The first one wasn't so bad. I'd rather have my highs a little too soft than too bright. I'm still fighting with the Denon DL-110.
  16. R

Low riding AT cart........normal?

I bet you knew that without looking by now.
  17. R

Clearaudio needle drop

Sounds great! I think your channel imbalance problem with the AT turned out to be for the best. You must have some good karma!
  18. R

Refinished my Pioneer PL-540

That looks fantastic! Great work! The black even looked pretty good.
  19. R

Replacing RCA cables on turntable

In my experience, even cheap looking cables on vintage turntables were low capacitance and tended to sound better on a turntable than some of the cables used today. I personally prefer stranded cables over the solid core video cables, but finding low capacitance stranded cable is a bit more...
  20. R

30 year old cassettes...amazing sound

If you hear dropouts and the speed fluctuating, it's usually caused by a stretched tape that's been played too many times in the wrong deck. The tape will usually look a bit rippled at the edges when not pulled tight. The ripples can cause poor contact with the tape head and dropouts. Good thing...
  21. R

Click Repair Software

My lazy method of doing click repair is running ClickRepair at the default LP setting, which removes just about any click. Then, I use the freeware Terry West Excite aural exciter plugin in Audacity to restore any lost "zing" to the highs. I leave the "low" and "output" controls alone and move...
  22. R

Phono Pre: ART DJPRE II vs. DB Systems DB-8

I couldn't argue with that. The Denon has been a tough cartridge for me to tame. I may have to mess with the loading as recommended by some AKers. I did botch the ART rips a bit. I hate that tweaky little gain control... lol. But, it just might be the reason I can get it to sound a little...
  23. R

Any love for the Rega P1?

After actually listening to both turntables, the next step would be to proclaim which one "absolutely destroys" the other.
  24. R

$20 off of craigslist today... (Sound of atomic bomb)

It's missing the counterweight and the anti-skate weight, but it looks bent too. The headshell doesn't look parallel to the rest of the arm in the photos and it should be. Still, you probably got a couple thousand dollars worth of table for $20. I believe that's called a scroe! Heck...
  25. R

I feel downright stupid

I clean any gunky records before playing and only play records that are bone dry. Sticking to these rules, I've never had to brush anything but dust off my stylus.
Back
Top Bottom