Search results

1. davestradamu

Does my Adcom not need to be recapped?

This was my thinking as well. I have the skills to take a populated PCB and put it in a box, add the inputs/outputs and power supply connector, but I haven't seen any that are rated to handle the 250wpc of the Adcom The GFA555 does not have a switched outlet (or any outlet for that matter)...
  2. davestradamu

Would this work well for my needs...
  3. davestradamu

This sounds like a smart idea. What kind of speaker protection are you talking about? I would gladly buy some peace of mind.
  4. davestradamu

Speakers are Yamaha NS-1000M, so somewhat nice. The drivers are quite expensive to replace though.
  5. davestradamu

I am just quoting him. I was confused too, but then again I am not a respected tech. Maybe other people refer to this as the input section rather than the output section or power section?
  6. davestradamu

I think he was saying he hasn't seen many fail. He said he replaced some when one was leaking slightly but said they are very reliable and should not need proactive replacement.
  7. davestradamu

I just got off the phone with a highly respected tech who says my Adcom GFA555 does not need preventative capacitor replacements. He said he hasn't seen the filter caps fail often at all, and the preamp section will start to hum, which will let me know to bring it in. His quote "I would be...
  8. davestradamu

Recapping Adcom GFA 555

All of this advice is great and I certainly appreciate it. I have decided to have a friend complete the recap. He is an industrial electrician that works on commercial machinery. He has recapped many amps and speaker crossovers successfully and said he will check DC offset bias the amp...
  9. davestradamu

Recapping Adcom GFA 555

My GFA 555 is all original, so obviously needs a recap. It works perfectly, and I don't see any bulging or leaking caps, but every time I use it I understand the game of Russian roulette I am playing with my Yamaha NS1000Ms. I have some soldering experience building and modifying guitars, and...
  10. davestradamu

RUN - JBL 4412 for $100

Looks like they need foam. I hope someone on this forum grabs these!
  11. davestradamu

In-Wall Cabling for Listening Room

That's great news. Plus, I get to make a snazzy new cable to link them together. Am I right in thinking I need to make a "Y" shaped cable?
  12. davestradamu

Thank you for the replies, everyone. The subwoofers have speaker inputs, but no outputs (B&W ASW608). If I am correct, this means I need to run 4 conductors, but I only have 2 channels on my power amp (Adcom GFA555). Since I only have 2 channels on the amplifier, line-level might be my only...
  13. davestradamu

Summary: I am planning the layout for a listening room in our new home. This room is somewhat small and will also serve as our family's room to "unplug". The room is roughly 12'x20'. The walls behind the speakers are roughly 36" wide The layout of the room presents some challenges since my...
  14. davestradamu

18" JBL Subs for $125!

15. davestradamu

RUN! JBL Score on FB Marketplace - Georgia

I figured it was a pair! OOF.
  16. davestradamu

RUN! JBL Score on FB Marketplace - Georgia

I hope somebody here gets these.
  17. davestradamu

Subwoofers to Pair with NS-1000M

I am interested in exploring options to add stereo subs to my system. I have NS-1000M speakers but would like to supplement the low end with a pair of subs. I connected the B&W ASW608 8" sealed subwoofer from my media setup, and I thought it did a great job supplementing the Yamahas. My...
  18. davestradamu

Time machine

Quite a collection you have there. Do you run 2 separate systems, or do both Infinity pairs run at once?
  19. davestradamu

My temporary system.

That is hilarious! I popped a JBL Ti tweeter back out with duct tape once, and never considered the french kiss method!
  20. davestradamu

My temporary system.

Something told me I shouldn't have licked the midrange driver... Oops! :)
  21. davestradamu

How outdated is my DAC?

Mods: please move to DACs subforum. My apologies.
  22. davestradamu

How outdated is my DAC?

I have owned this DAC for close to a decade and have been quite pleased with the performance and flexibility. Since it is heavily based in technology that is known to change at a rapid pace, I am wondering what I might be missing by not using something more modern...
  23. davestradamu

My temporary system.

This is my temporary system until we move into our new house after renovating. Don't mind the mess! Once we are in our new home, a Technics SL 1200 with Grado cart, Yaqin tube phono preamp, Marantz CD deck and a bluetooth adapter will join the party. For now: Samsung Tablet Maverick...
  24. davestradamu

Amplifier "thumps" when turned off.

Good to know that something might not be wrong with my gear. That is what I have been doing, I was just wondering if something was wrong.
Back
Top Bottom