Search results

1. Wayniac

Vocals are always to the left… how to correct?

Place the acoustic panels on the windowsill (to shield reflections from the blinds) and close the drapes. I was chasing this same issue with my system, with an almost identical room setup. This action alone made a huge improvement. I'll post a photo when I get home.
  2. Wayniac

Recommend an Amp for AR9’s?

My Air Force roommate owned a pair back in the 80s. We tried a few different amplifiers to drive them. A Nakamichi PA-7 and a Yamaha M-80 both drove the AR9s without drama. Several other amps, went into protection mode.
  3. Wayniac

McIntosh mc240 tube recommendations.

Although not an MC240, I've settled on Tung-Sol 7581A as my "go-to" for the output power tubes in my MC30s. I've tried several others, NOS, new production etc. The 7581A is rated 35W dissipation vs. the standard 6l6GC 30W. I find the sound detailed, well balanced and more dynamic than the...
  4. Wayniac

Refurbishing My MC2100

Not really, I just thought I'd give it a go. In the mean time, I'll overhaul the original PCB and swap it in when the mood strikes me.
  5. Wayniac

Refurbishing My MC2100

The driver PCBs are complete. I’ve installed a new R2 Preamplifier PCB from https://northreadingeng.com. The power supply capacitors are going in next.
  6. Wayniac

Refurbishing My MC2100

Thanks! I’m looking for replacements... McIntosh semiconductor data sheets indicate MPSA14 and MPSA66 are equivalent replacements. The MPSA14 is readily available, but the MPSA66 is hard to find. I’m sure there are other suitable replacements, and I’ll have to put some time into researching this.
  7. Wayniac

Refurbishing My MC2100

I’m finally getting around to refurbishing my MC 2100. I have new output transistors on order from Mouser, but the ship date keeps sliding, now expected to ship in June... Meanwhile, I have received some parts and started on the Output Driver PCBs. Measurements of the existing carbon...
  8. Wayniac

Need Turntable and Speaker ID

I think Chaz nailed it! The following photos found in an internet search shows the brass spindle and three feet. I think it’s a Planar 3.
  9. Wayniac

Thanks, I have great faith in the collective here. I agree there is not much to go on. The speaker cabinet construction is unique at the base corners. The TT appears to be low profile, has three conical feet and a small shiny bit on the bottom, front-center of the plinth.
  10. Wayniac

Turntable.
  11. Wayniac

Why reply, if you don't know? Forum members that own the same equipment as pictured will know right away. The speakers for example, have unique cabinet construction at the base. What ever happened to AK's slogan of "All audio, no attitude"?
  12. Wayniac

Bad quality photo for sure. The top left component is a TT. Clicking on the image should enlarge it.
  13. Wayniac

The attached photo has what appears to be B&K Pre and Power amplifiers. I'm not sure about the Turntable and speakers. I'm sure the collective here will be able help! Thanks.
  14. Wayniac

AMP DIY's...Does this look like a well made amp?

The solder joints lack finesse.
  15. Wayniac

What’s your thoughts on these

Are you sure about parallel only, it looks to me like many of the drivers are wired in series as well...
  16. Wayniac

Tell Me About The MEN220.

I’ve been reading posts about the McIntosh MEN220. I think I want one. My system consists of a Mac Mini music server feeding a McIntosh C48 via USB. The preamp outputs feed MC30s and a MC2100 in a passive biamp configuration driving a pair of JBL 250TIs. The MEN220 provides two features...
  17. Wayniac

Voltages high on my MC2100

Do it. I’m running a bi-amp configuration with MC30s and a MC2100 driving a pair of JBL 250TIs. It’s a spectacular combination.
  18. Wayniac

How many records would it take to stop a bullet?

The discontinued Winchester Black Talon ammunition is legally sold every day on Gunbroker and many other forums. Black Talons do not have any special armor piercing properties.
  19. Wayniac

Monster Power Pro 2500?

I use a Monster Pro 2500 in my system. I bought it more for convenience as my amplifiers don’t have power switches. I purchased it used from that auction site for a great price. I can’t say whether it improves the sound of my system as I haven’t done an A/B comparison. The unit has been...
  20. Wayniac

Bi amp question

You didn’t specify which speakers are being discussed. If your speakers have split internal crossovers designed for biamping, feeding a full range signal to both inputs is an acceptable practice. The mid/high frequency speaker crossovers will present a high impedence load at lower frequencies...
  21. Wayniac

Solved: My System Was Sounding Lackluster, Uncommon Solution

Update: I’ve spent a couple evenings listening to the system. It’s never sounded this good. An interesting development is a vertical shift in the “center stage” imaging. On many recordings which feature a vocalist centered left to right, the perceived position of the vocalist used to be...
  22. Wayniac

Solved: My System Was Sounding Lackluster, Uncommon Solution

The last few weeks, something had been missing from my system. It seemed less dynamic, with mediocre imaging and detail. The bass seemed mushy and uncontrolled. I had been experimenting with speaker positioning and figured maybe I lost the optimum positions, so I tried this first with no...
  23. Wayniac

Show your JBLs off

24. Wayniac

Recommendation On Active Crossover

If you can’t find originals, you can replace them all inexpensively. Search Amazon for “potentiometer knobs” or “knurled shaft knobs”, they have a wide variety of styles.
  25. Wayniac

Finally a decent Radio Station!

I’ve been searching for WJAZ, with jazz and conversation...:rflmao:
Back
Top Bottom