Search results

1. B3Nut

Happy Birthday B3Nut!

Thanks guys! Don't get here nearly often enough...cheers!! :rockon::beerchug:
  2. B3Nut

Realistic receiver manufacturing site in Korea..

Tandy also had their own TRS Electronics factory later on that not only built some of the RS gear but did contract work for others...IIRC Richard Schram (now of Parasound) had said that when he designed the Concept receivers for Pacific Stereo the manufacturing was contracted out to TRS. Those...
  3. B3Nut

Polk Audio Bookshelf Speakers

M4.5's would be a superb replacement for the 301's. I think he'll find the Polks to be a good step up....
  4. B3Nut

Realistic STA 2000 - STA 2080 Difference

STA2000 was, IIRC, a Foster Electronics build like most of the TRS gear of that time frame. Their main OEM's for hi-fi then were Foster and Hitachi...
  5. B3Nut

Why didn't MiniDisc succeed?

Don't forget the little Yamaha 8-track MD recorder with integral mixing console...used data MD's IIRC. Those were fun little portastudios...the advent of affordable standalone hard disk recorders and then inexpensive DAW hardware and software for computers killed those off, however. TP
  6. B3Nut

SX-650

There are lots of choices. The HPM's and JBL's mentioned are nice, though not often found at bargain prices. Original Large Advents after refoaming are really nice. A sleeper you might want to look out for is the ADC 303ax. It's an unassuming 10" 2-way acoustic-suspension speaker with a...
  7. B3Nut

Vinyl only spin list

Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide To Earth
  8. B3Nut

Am I the last guy who values quality over quantity???

All this talk about BBQ and burgers and bacon! Arrrgh, now I'm getting hungry, sitting in the kitchen listening to Lyle Lovett on my kitchen system...(gotta have something in here on the topic of general audio discussion, right? LOL!) :D TP
  9. B3Nut

Jimmy Smith

Indeed. He's a superb Hammond player.
  10. B3Nut

Pioneer SX-850 Cleanup Thread

Doh! I had the board from my 838 still in my head. ;) Surprising to see the 850 having four trannies a side like the 950...they put a lot of $ into that thing for a middleweight receiver. Even at full tilt that output stage would be loafing along, methinks...
  11. B3Nut

1812 Overture Outdoors, Cannons, Dynamic Range

I remember the Telarc recordings of the 1812 featuring a "Warning: Digital Cannons!" label on them! They spoofed their own sticker when they released Peter Schickele's "PDQ Bach: 1712 Overture and Other Musical Assaults" with a "Warning: Digital Balloons!" sticker...at the end of the "1712...
  12. B3Nut

Jimmy Smith

I second the recommend to check out Brian Auger...Live Oblivion is a cool set. Chester Thompson's "Mixology" album is a great spin too. But Jimmy Smith is the godfather of anyone who plays the brown box in jazz, blues, or rock today. :yes: TP
  13. B3Nut

RIP Chris Squire

He had a huge impact on me as a young bass player when I was in high school...Yes was a huge influence on me period, eventually helping to inspire me to pursue the Hammond organ. I only got to see Yes live once, on their Union tour. While the album was much-maligned, the live shows were amazing...
  14. B3Nut

Pioneer SX-850 Cleanup Thread

If it's going to be a daily driver (or even if it isn't) it should really be recapped, at least power supply, power amp, and protection boards. Definitely replace the bias and offset trimpots, they get flaky in their old age and if the bias pot opens up it'll rail the outputs and let out the...
  15. B3Nut

Pioneer Racks

That sounds like it's idling way too warm...what say the SPEC wizards?
  16. B3Nut

Sanyo jcx2600 receiver - cleaning and restoration

Nice work! You know, these are a seriously-underrated "sleeper" receiver. I was given one awhile back, I mated it with an Onkyo 'table and ADS L420 speakers to make a nice little vinyl system for the sax player in my band. She's delighted with it! I found it to be a clean and muscular-sounding...
  17. B3Nut

Greetings from WI

Hail fellow denizen of Cheesecurdistan! :-D TP
  18. B3Nut

SX-950 power amp repair issues

By crikey, that did the trick. After about a half hour she settled in at 20.2 and 20.3 at idle. Offset bang on at 0 in both channels. Lashed up speakers and we have music...she sounds great! Thanks again guys, this place does rock. :thmbsp: Todd P.
  19. B3Nut

Well I guess I get to sit in the corner for a bit with a dunce cap. It seems I had messed up a trace under one leg of the 100 ohm idle current pot, and its solder pad had separated from the actual trace without it being actually visible as such. I made a jumper to the next solder pad and...
  20. B3Nut

Trannies all good. Just now able to get back to it...got dragged in some other directions for a bit. As I noted earlier, the set biased up and played well except for DC offset wonkiness, so I had gone back and replaced all the trimmers. It is after that that the bias fluctuations cropped up...
  21. B3Nut

'lytics and pots are in the right place...I'll pull the board out here in a bit and look the traces over again when I get back to the house. 6/21 ground checked out good. I'll report back... Thanks guys!
  22. B3Nut

I've been repairing the power amp section of an SX-950 for a friend, it was displaying the classic symptoms of a diff pair going ape. I replaced the diffs with KSA992's, predrivers with KSA1381 and KSC3503, and the drivers with MJE15030/31. Also replaced the 'lytics on the board. Initially, the...
  23. B3Nut

Project/one Mark IV B - High End Mystery Receiver...

That doesn't look like Pioneer work at all...possibly Foster, TRS Electronics, or Hitachi maybe...they did a lot of OEM/private label stuff. Not Pioneer's PCB artwork style at all for sure.
  24. B3Nut

My SX-1050 haul

Awesome score! TP
  25. B3Nut

Best high quality NEW tubes?

I know for 6550's the Electro-Harmonix and reissue Tung-Sol (both New Sensor offerings from their Saratov Reflektor plant) are solid. I've had good luck with them in Leslies, anyway... TP
Back
Top Bottom