Search results

1. M

Fisher 500c Phono Improvement & Extra Phono Input

So after following the advice above the phono stage on both switch settings seemed to stop working which was a bit worrying so realising I had reached the limit of my knowledge I had to wait a few days before taking it to my local valve expert. After studying the circuit and checKing everything...
  2. M

Thanks that's great Larry but something that is confusing me is where is the other channels PEC? I thought it would be near where I soldered the silver SPrague caps on the right, but is the other channel PEC the one soldered virtually onto the selector switch?
  3. M

I think I have managed to trace the wires from the tape inputs to the last switch on the right but after that I'm stuck as what to do next Can anyone talk me through the rest of the procedure. Thanks in advance David
  4. M

For the moment I am just going to keep it simple and just do the switch.... So have soldered linking wire between Tape Input heads.... And here's the selector switch and the PEC So when you say take lead 2 from which end are you counting?
  5. M

Do you have a photo of the new PEC boards to give me an idea of size and construction. Thanks D
  6. M

Thanks Dave that's exactly what I needed..... You (or anyone else ) don't happen to have any photos to help me to locate these parts do you? Although I can solder etc and have built a few things reading diagrams and then interpreting them into the mass of confusion that is the inside of a 500c...
  7. M

Thanks for the answers so far but I think Larry got the wrong end of the stick as I was not clear enough, what I need is more than one phono input. At present I use the main phono input for my SPU cartridge on one tonearm (this I can switch between Stereo & Mono) as required for different...
  8. M

Also a thread here that says the previous generation cart the RPX didn't use the curve but by the time the VRII was introduced the RIAA curve was in common usage and therefore does use RIAA http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=1764.0 So hopefully that will make the modifications...
  9. M

There's a link here to the cartridge manual http://www.vinylengine.com/ve_downloads/index.php?general_electric/general_electric_vrii_4g.pdf
  10. M

At the moment I have been using the VRII into the standard MM input and it sounds very nice so I'm not sure if anything needs changing at the Fisher end, but any idea of how to wire the switch to enable a mono output?
  11. M

Yes that's the first part of my question answered....thanks for that So has anyone done this mod and have any photos of the mod in place? Also is it possible to convert the tape head input to a phono (mono) input?
  12. M

A while ago I am fairly sure I read a thread regarding how to improve the RIAA curve of the 500c phono stage but searching has failed to turn it up does anyone have the details. Also I am interested in converting the tape head input into another phono input for my second tonearm which uses a...
  13. M

JBL 4311's = system complete... for now.

Thanks for the replies that was really helpful, it does seem hard to tell 0.01uf caps from 0.1 uf caps with the way they are listed on half the adverts. I think I will phone one of your recommendations and see which they suggest
  14. M

JBL 4311's = system complete... for now.

This will be a long shot if anyone is still following this thread but.... Do the 0.01uF capacitors have to have any particular voltage level? The one's recommended in the guide are unavailable here in the UK so I was wondering if either of these caps would be up to the job...
  15. M

500C Phono Stage

I'm using the 500c's phono stage together with a Denon DL103 and its a great combination. Using the great stage already in place will save you plenty of cash for a decent SUT (Step Up Transformer) I have used as a budget option a set of Beydynamic 370 215 006 transformers and they do a good job...
  16. M

Phono Preamps with Fishers

In my experience of using DL103, DL103R and Ortofon SPU's I have used a Linn Linto a highly regarded phono stage but after listening to the Fisher's phono stage together with various SUT everyone who compared the performances preferred the Fisher + SUT over the Linn Linto hence the Linto was...
  17. M

The Fisher Phono Preamp, and RIAA

Right so back from that fishing trip now...... Is this what I need to complete the job? 4 lots of http://uk.farnell.com/cornell-dubilier/cd19fd681fo3f/cap-silver-mica-680pf-500v-rad/dp/1264893 And a set of 1% 1/4 Resistors like these...
  18. M

Thanks for the replies, I can find 1% resistors with no trouble, but silver mica caps seem to be 5% at best would they be good enough? If you have any Mouser parts numbers I'm pretty certain we can use them in the UK all ok. Thanks David
  19. M

Thanks for doing such great work, will the same changes work on a Fisher 500c? Would it be possible to for someone with a bit more electrical knowledge to make a list/parts numbers for someone like Rapid or Farnells so we can then all get the correct parts and install them correctly. Thanks...
  20. M

I did all the mods recommended here... "The Fisher phono section will perform to world class standards with a few upgrades. Change the existing .01uF ceramic coupling capacitor out to .01uF Vitamin Q and change out the existing .022uF capacitor to a Russian K40Y-9 .022uF capacitor. The...
  21. M

Two standard MM Phono Inputs on Fisher 500c

Now that sounds do able, hopefully someone will chip in with a nice photo of the parts and I will be good to go. My skills with reading electric schematics & identifying the parts are none existent but show me a picture of what I need to cut and solder and I'm ok. thanks
  22. M

Thanks for the reply that's a really good idea. Do you know what is required to turn the tape monitor into a phono section, photos would be really helpful as I'm no way an electrical expert but I have managed to build a few electrical circuits, and change the caps on my phono stage so I have...
  23. M

I was wondering if it would be possible to convert the high gain phono sockets (originally for Crystal Cartridges) to accept a normal MM input on a Fisher 500c. At present I have a Mono arm and a Stereo arm on my deck which feed a simple switching box, but this obviously means the tiny signal...
  24. M

Fisher 400 Phono Stage Upgrade - Can I Do It?

I've had a play with a few tubes, a set of Mullard ECC83's and some Teonex CV4004's which apparently came from a decommissioned Nuclear power station but I still prefer the sound from the original Fisher West Germany tubes that my 500c came with. The changing of the caps though was a definite...
  25. M

fisher phono question

My 500c beat a Linn Linto phono stage with a whole range of carts from standard MM's up to an Ortofon SPU with the aid of a Step Up Transformer (SUT) So just follow the advice here and change the relevant caps and get the best tubes you can find/afford and don't waste your money on a separate...
Back
Top Bottom