Search results

1. Zonker92

JBL 4425 Restoration

Delighted to hear of your progress! Matt’s boards won’t alter the bass response; electrically they result in output curves exactly matching the originals. The printed circuit boards install in place of the factory boards; they screw to the inside speaker terminal boards the same way, but are a...
  2. Zonker92

JBL 4425 Restoration

Phil, with one exception, I've never seen passive speakers that were able to generate any spurious buzzing or humming sounds on their own. The exception were some B&W 802 Series 80s, and I'm pretty sure their 1,000 uF capacitors (acting as DC filters) had some stored energy. The 4425s don't...
  3. Zonker92

Cheap and (Pretty) Easy JBL 4430 Upgrade

Hello, Matthew. Unfortunately, I can’t think of a way to do that, but you can always include the switch with the sale and let the buyer solder it back in if he wanted. Eric
  4. Zonker92

Recapping Altec 604-8G Crossovers?

Nice; thanks for the deets!
  5. Zonker92

Thanks again! I may do that. Fingers crossed.
  6. Zonker92

Wonderful; thanks for the ideas! Great work. I've just got to decide now whether to go with recapped stock or Mark W. Leaning toward the latter ...
  7. Zonker92

Oooh, pretty! What caps did you use on the Markwarts? Thanks very much for the information and great pictures!
  8. Zonker92

Has anyone here recapped some 604-8G crossovers? I’m just curious about what type the factory caps are, how they’re encased, whether the sound changed much, and whether anyone has any pictures, before I decide whether to tear open the pair that I just bought. (A friend tells me he recapped...
  9. Zonker92

Workflow Question: WiiM Mini (or any streamer) with Alexa Integration

I hope no one minds if I use this thread to ask a similar, but I don’t think identical, question: What I am trying to do is cast Apple music using Airplay from my phone to my WiiM mini (that works fine), AND from there, have the WiiM “share” the music with all my Alexa devices throughout a...
  10. Zonker92

Help me identify these JBL speakers

Man, the build quality is first-rate and the hardware, wiring and design are very similar to the factory models. I would not be surprised if someone at the factory built those in his off hours.
  11. Zonker92

Happy Birthday Zonker92!

THANK YOU ALL!! I really appreciate it.
  12. Zonker92

JBL 4435 Restoration

You're very welcome! Please let me know how it turns out.
  13. Zonker92

JBL 4435 Restoration

I think so; yes. It's a very flexible and forgiving paint with just a touch of sheen, and it's made for plastic parts. I love how it doesn't leave bands or run, if you use light coats. Those lenses look like they come apart into individual layers, so it might be best to take them apart...
  14. Zonker92

JBL LE25 Tweeter repair

On this general topic, now on eBay I see a new listing for complete LE25 recone kits, and the seller says they’re factory exact replacements. In the photos they do look impressive.
  15. Zonker92

Restoring a pair of JBL Lancer 77

Sounds like a fun project. I've been amazed several times by the outcome of just cleaning, lightly sanding, staining and oiling JBL veneer. If it's fundamentally intact, it typically looks like new again. You might find these upgrade threads interesting...
  16. Zonker92

The Rod Speakers…

He looked a bit like Ron Jeremy.
  17. Zonker92

Original 4312 vs new 4312G (and maybe vs new L100 Classic)

Great summary by Jeff. I haven’t recently looked at that exact model, but generally then T series had crappy veneer that’s somewhat artificial and tended to lift and chip (Google “Braewood JBL” on this site). Hopefully the pair you found is in good shape. But its crossover should be...
  18. Zonker92

Original 4312 vs new 4312G (and maybe vs new L100 Classic)

The OG 4312s are millennia older tech than the others, and voiced to emulate the midrange-forward sound of the old Altec 604 monitors, but in a smaller box. The crossover is virtually nonexistent; it’s just some high-pass filters for the midrange and tweeter. The cabinet is too small for the...
  19. Zonker92

Submerged Altec 416

I'd expect to have to remove and discard all the moving parts, clean the voice coil gap carefully and thoroughly, then recone it. Reminds me, when I was 13 or so and my family was camping in Yosemite, in the Fall. My brother and I went exploring and found a burned-out LE15A woofer frame and...
  20. Zonker92

Lost in possibilities regarding the 4311...

You might try some used L50 crossovers from eBay; much more advanced design for similar MF and HF drivers, and I think it avoids that nasty midrange hump by using a lower crossover point for the MF-HF. (Not sure how well it would play with the woofer, but you could bypass the LF section and...
  21. Zonker92

Bang & Olufsen Beovox S75

I'm very fond of S75s, and had a pair for fifteen years or so. One thing I learned is that their crossovers have resistors that are underspec'ed; they're rated for maybe 3 watts instead of maybe ten+ as they should be. There are photos showing they're a fire hazard. I would definitely replace...
  22. Zonker92

JBL L150A upgrade suggestions

I think those crossovers have film caps; you might benefit from upgrading them though. You could play with the weights on the passive radiator to see whether you like different bass tuning. Another thing to consider is whether the midrange baffle openings are chamfered (some JBLs aren't); see...
  23. Zonker92

JBL Studio 590 owners chime in...

Here, permit me to enable you: Don't they have a free return policy?
  24. Zonker92

Ordered some JBL Studio 530s thisafternoon....

I have a new pair in the sealed box still ... one of these days ...
Back
Top Bottom