Search results

1. Zonker92

Recapping Altec 604-8G Crossovers?

Has anyone here recapped some 604-8G crossovers? I’m just curious about what type the factory caps are, how they’re encased, whether the sound changed much, and whether anyone has any pictures, before I decide whether to tear open the pair that I just bought. (A friend tells me he recapped...
  2. Zonker92

JBL Stain

I've been asked a few times, so here’s my three-step stain that I adapted from one on Lansing Heritage (RJ Timmerman). It's not identical (I couldn't find exactly what he recommended) but similar. I realize that results may vary and others may have more experience and/or better ideas. But...
  3. Zonker92

JBL C48 Madison Restoration

Just finished restoring some C48 Madisons for good friend Greg Nal. (He has the components standing by.) I stripped off the (incorrect) finish, fixed a missing chunk with filler and some new veneer, repainted them, stained and oiled the veneer and replaced the grille cloth.
  4. Zonker92

MA6600 - Info re Phono Stage and Service Manual?

I like collecting literature for my gear: Does anyone have the service manual? I already have the other documentation. Also, can anyone please tell me about the MM phono stage? I'm curious as to how it ranks compared to a separate stage, what opamps it may use, what other Mac products...
  5. Zonker92

Name these JBLs?

I realize this is a tough one, but our local church is replacing these JBL PA speakers; I'm seeing them tomorrow. Just wondering which model they might be. Apparently, they have 12" woofers. I'm having trouble finding better photos on-line. My gut tells me they're probably not worth...
  6. Zonker92

Made a New LP Stand

Not really feeling the "Now Spinning" holders I considered, I designed this "on deck" stand instead. Ingredients are glass, aluminum rod and walnut. I designed it first using Mastercam, and the final result was quite similar to my original drawing.
  7. Zonker92

Finished my Mag-Lev Turntable Build

Based on a concept by Troels Gravesen, I built this turntable over the course of the past seven months or so, off and on. I wanted to make it using some CAD-CAM techniques, so I went to night school at our local community college, which has an amazing program. Ten hours a week for eighteen...
  8. Zonker92

L100 Restoration Done

(Sanded, oiled, painted, recapped, clean L pads, new tweeter foams, binding posts, stands and grilles.)
  9. Zonker92

Yet Another L100 Crossover Thread

Ignoring for purposes of this discussion any aftermarket approaches, such as the Murphy or Gravesen design: As between the two OEM crossover schematics posted below (early, vertical layout above, which had the LE20 tweeter) which might be preferable, and why? I ask because I’m about to redo...
  10. Zonker92

Whoever left some 4401s on my Doorstep:

Thanks! I was camping for four days and returned to a welcome surprise. That was very kind of you. Looks like the drivers are perfect (except the foams) but the cabinets need some love. Good times. :D And because all threads are worthless without photos:
  11. Zonker92

JBL L25 Prima Restoration

L25 Prima restoration done: Repaired and repainted cabinets Repaired and repainted baffles Replaced one damaged tweeter and one damaged woofer Repaired broken port tube Recapped, and bypass caps added L-pads cleaned Upgraded OEM binding posts New baffle screws Polished driver screws Correct...
  12. Zonker92

JBL L300 Summit Restoration.

Some work went into these. I've been dreaming of Summits since 1978 or so. Bart hooked me up with the cabinets; he is the man! New wood bases. New feet. Totally rebuilt grill frames, with bamboo reinforcing ribs. New grill cloth (Huntley Audio on the 'bay). Factory-recone kits on 2235H...
  13. Zonker92

My first “Name that Speaker” Thread

Maybe. Any ideas? Thanks.
  14. Zonker92

Genuine JBL Diaphragms or Fugazis?

I finally opened up some LE85s (had to drill out some of the screws) to find these diaphragms. I suspect they’re aftermarket but I thought I’d confirm. DCRs are 6.2 and 8.4-ish. Thanks.
  15. Zonker92

Ruh-Roh: Altec Santana Cabinets

My buddy Steve just gave me these nice clean boxes. What to do with them? Maybe eWaves? (I pasted some exemplar eWave photos below.) http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?18168-Storm-here-s-the-Altec-Santana-cabinets!
  16. Zonker92

Got some Kludged KLH Model 23s

These came out of the house of a friend of mine; they're pretty beat up and the upper drivers are replacements. Are they even worth saving, you think?
  17. Zonker92

Made Some Walnut Speaker Stands (JBL Content)

I just finished making these 4/4 walnut stands for my L50s. I used a table saw, a drill press and a hand drill, plus a screwdriver. They're held together with some #12 wood screws, a little glue and some smaller screws on the back rails. The finish is satin poly, for durability, and they'll get...
  18. Zonker92

Interview with JBL Legend Greg Timbers

Some good stuff here. A few choice comments: “Every now and then I see something that looks cool or refreshing to me, but mostly everything is a rehash of what has gone before and is so covered with marketing hype that I just don't care.” “Dynamics will make or break the loudspeaker system...
  19. Zonker92

Made some LP Cabinets

This one is 3/4" maple plywood. I have another to post soon that's made out of bamboo. (And don't worry, the legs are extremely strong and attached very securely.)
  20. Zonker92

Made some Walnut Plinths for Thorens TD-160 / TD-166

I just finally finished these plinths; one "square" and three "wedges." Solid 8/4 walnut with an MDF bottom cover.
  21. Zonker92

Prefab Nelson Pass L300 Summit Crossovers on eBay

I just happened to stumble across these crossovers on eBay (item no. 152390913172, sold by Partyprosound Audio Services, located in Mesa AZ (480) 217-8325)), $99 each, no affiliation), and I called the company up and spoke with the fellow who designed and had them built. He lists these specs...
  22. Zonker92

Nice JBL "Barn Find"

Reminiscent of the classic story where one finds a forgotten vintage Aston Martin or Lamborghini under a tarp in a derelict barn ... I was visiting some relatives on the East Coast this weekend, and their friends invited us over for brunch in their lovely refurbished home, in Montvale NJ (aka...
  23. Zonker92

Just bought a Dual 1229; fingers crossed!

I'm kind of excited about this purchase: In the 1970s, when I was in high school, my uncle gave me his perfect Dual 1229. I loved it for several years, until a salesman convinced me to buy a lovely Bang and Olufsen instead. I gave the Dual turntable to my buddy, and while he was carrying it in a...
  24. Zonker92

How interchangeable are one-inch compression drivers?

Leaving aside mechanical mounting and cabinet clearance issues, and assuming the crossover points aren't too low, is it OK to swap freely among various compression drivers? I understand (and JBL says) that one can substitute newer one-inch JBL compression drivers for older ones, such as the...
Back
Top Bottom