Search results

1. KevinCorr

Shopping for a cheap component dac

I am giving a friend a gift of a Marantz 8004 integrated amp and speakers. I want to add a cheap dac. I have no experience with them though. He has no hifi but a smart phone and a junk boom box that he wires the phone to, and streams with no dac. Since he has no cds or albums I want to add a...
  2. KevinCorr

Step down transformer choosing size.

How much capacity would I need to use a typical 120 volt integrated amp in a 240 volt country? ACUPWR has them from 100 watts to 2000 watts.
  3. KevinCorr

Remotes not working.

I have 2 good integrated amps that have non functional remotes. Is there something that I can look at? I know nothing of the magic inner world of electronics. The cost would be too high to mail them to a service shop. Marantz 8004 HK a giant that weighs a ton. I moved them to rooms where I...
  4. KevinCorr

PS Audio Sprout w/speakers vs Wireless speakers, eg LSX

We have a cabin at relatives place far away from home. I want to set up a compact music system mostly streaming (Tidal). Probably add a cd transport. These pieces are examples, not sure choices. I am more undecided about the type of system that would be better. I will leave it there but want...
  5. KevinCorr

Need headphone apm w/remote for home system.

No computer, dac involved. Just an old fashioned integrated amp etc.I love my amp or would replace it because it has no headphone port, nor does the cdp. I have a good Heed canamp headphone amp that I use with a long cable and I am getting tired of getting up and going over to adjust the...
  6. KevinCorr

The Sound of the Wood Turntables out of business.

Fans of Vinyl Nirvana and classic AR tables will know Eric J. Whitacre and his beautiful hand made tables. After years of rebuilding and refinishing Ar tables Eric began building tables in their style. I got one and talked to Eric on the phone too. Now his website is gone. I dont' find any...
  7. KevinCorr

Step down Transformer 220 to 110 all the same?

I have gear in the US 110volt that I want to use in Thailand which is 220. I see on Sears, Ebay and other websites that there are many available. Is the sound quality the same? Damage? I read an article warning that you can damage your gear if the transformer is not good, too small, not...
  8. KevinCorr

Stereophile Mag digital

I get offers to "convert to digital" my subscription. Does that mean add digital or would we no longer get the print magazine?
  9. KevinCorr

Neil Young streaming service

Did I miss the post about this? Apparently he is introducing something like Tidal. http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/04/21/neil_young_launches_xtsream_a_new_music_streaming_service.html
  10. KevinCorr

What is the option instead of Paypal?

I am tired of Paypal. Why, that is another story maybe not relevant to the other choices to buy online. I don't really like to give my credit card out all over.
  11. KevinCorr

Art K. Thanks for the Cables.

Always a pleasure to deal with Art. Cheers.
  12. KevinCorr

What wire for 12v power supply to tuner?

I need a cable to go from a power supply to a tuner. I found the 6 pin Din (not mini-DIN) connectors from Mouser Supply and the solder connectors are very small so I will need a light cord. I could cut the ends off an extension cord or buy a piece of wire at the electric supply store. There...
  13. KevinCorr

Kenny Wheeler dies at 84.

http://jazztimes.com/articles/140380-kenny-wheeler-trumpeter-and-flugelhornist-dies-at-84
  14. KevinCorr

Nostalgia and THE AR Turntable.

Do you ever want to re acquire an old favorite just to compare it with the new? Or was that "AR The Turntable?" You will get that if you read the old threads. My two old favorites "in the day" Were an AR and a Thorens. No, I have not been looking at turntables, but I saw an AR at a...
  15. KevinCorr

Upgrading to a better CD player.

We have covered the entry to mid level players in other threads. I am considering a move in the other direction. After finally getting a really good integrated amp, the Sonneteer deserves a proper mate. Let's say $1500 absolute top price, because my dream player: Line Magnetic is $1500. I know...
  16. KevinCorr

Rotel 990bx tuner gets aligned, but reception stays the same.

Reception or sensitivity again. This is not about the tone, or sound quality. Just sensitivity. I was hoping for improvement. I have 3 antennas, but not great ones, and 5 tuners and moved them around to see what would work. I get a range from absolutely no reception to pretty good. In...
  17. KevinCorr

Rega Radio tuner?

The original, not model 3. That is one you never see in the tuner favorites, reviews. It is not available often used either. I have a Mira 3, Brio R, 2 Apollos, and a P3 turntable but have never seen a Rega Radio. What is up with that?
  18. KevinCorr

Rotel 1080 arose from the dead.

I had a Rotel 1080 quit working. It locked on standby. I mailed it to a hifi store in the next city, Pyrimyd in Anchorage. After a few months he called and said that there is nothing wrong with it. So maybe it is the first sign of senility? It didn't work, really, I am sure. Wouldn't...
  19. KevinCorr

karmanfamily

Thanks, the HRT arrived today and works great. Thanks for the good deal and fast shipping. My first ever trying a headphone DAC. Actually a gift for the wife's online TV watching.
  20. KevinCorr

Creek? or other Integrated amps retail $1K up.

Recommendations appreciated. I am considering an upgrade my main house: Living, kitchen, dining office in one room, 24 ft square. I got spoiled by my Sonneteer in my own private room. The main house now has an old Rotel 1070 integrated that I put in to replace the dead AVR. I have been...
  21. KevinCorr

Live! Stephon Harris w/Clayton Bros +

I was lucky to be in Washington last week! Great concerts. http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundposts/2013/07/28/jazz-port-townsends-sweet-saturday-afternoon/#.UffD6tv892I.facebook
  22. KevinCorr

Phone amp to TV directly for Grandma

How to wire the headphone amp to a TV not a hifi set? It is a new Samsung LCD flat screen. I don't know what connections new tv's have that would work. Grams, 95 yrs of age, is hard of hearing and plays the TV at super high volume. I thought she might like phones with a volume control at...
  23. KevinCorr

Headphone Amp info requested please.

I never had one so I don't even know where it connects to the system. Starting from scratch. I don't need a combo with DAC because this is simply going to an integrated amp, tuner and cdp set up. None of my better or newer hifi units have headphone out so I am looking at headphone amps...
  24. KevinCorr

Tuner price watch, up, up...

Yamaha T-2 is going thru the roof lately. Nick G. The T-2 I saw yesterday for $520 BIN is now $350. No bidding. That seller with the other non hifi store. The one you see for $500 starting bid and $700 BIN is another one I had not seen. OMG! It was discussed on the yahoo fm tuner group...
  25. KevinCorr

FM reception NOT antenna related.

I have read the antenna threads. Great info. This is a different question. Why is it... in layman's terms? Your favorite station comes in great on your portable boom box (Cambridge Soundworks Bose Table radio clone) set to "internal antenna" with NO antenna connected, and on the Tivoli...
Back
Top Bottom