Search results

1. B

In search of TD124

I got mine by chance. There is a very funky used stereo store I cruise every once in a while. I always checking out tables. One day there was a hideous black brush painted plinth that was an old butler's tray turned over, and the cover was a scratched up plexi quarter inch thick glued together...
  2. B

Bands you've seen live that you've never heard of that blew you away

In about 1974 I sat in the second row to see a band a friend was interested in. I had not heard of them nor did I listen to anything by them prior to the concert. It was Weather Report. Mind blowing for sure.
  3. B

He's back

I've been chasing my other passion, acoustic guitars and performing. Sorry to those who have PMed me. Had one from February. Anyway, along the way I had a computer change and all that entails. Suffice to say, I never stopped listening. Are we still obsessing??
  4. B

TT recommendations please

AR XA all day long. Do as much or as little to it as you want. Fastest way to $1000+ sound.
  5. B

AR XA Turntable - Should I Make the Move?

An XA will do very nicely while you save up for a Thorens 124, then you have a killer back up. Seriously, I have an XA in my console that performs incredibly well day in and day out. If you spend a total of $400 on it you will not be sorry. They play very well with Grados.
  6. B

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Bob Dylan- Nashville Skyline
  7. B

DAC worthiness

I find myself all analog these days. I don't have a CD player in any system I have, but a DAC is very good for streaming audio from a computer. I have several radio stations I listen to via the net, and I used to be a MOG subscriber, may it RIP, and a stand alone DAC is far better than the...
  8. B

Tube Gear Suggestions

With that kind of budget, I'd get one of Bob Latino's amps assembled, and either a Latino pre amp or a Conrad Johnson. If you prefer vintage, a Harmon Kardon Citation II that has been rebuilt would do the trick. With your budget the choices are many.
  9. B

Tube audio goals for 2015

Finish my W5M rebuilds and my SET mono blocks. Sell what I don't need to support my acoustic guitar habit. Deciding what I don't need is hard.
  10. B

Budget ST70 build

The Triodes sound great.
  11. B

Dynaco st 70- what to look for/look out for?

What I'm trying to do is hark back to the time where I had not built anything. I started building guitar effects pedals then worked my way up to a tweed Champ before building an ST 70 kit. If the OP wants to learn to solder and build a kit, it can certainly be done and I would not discourage...
  12. B

It would be if put into my Triode build, but the Triode has a big upgraded power transformer and PS board. The Triode driver board is no slouch. It's a tie. The VTA has some sweet PIO caps.
  13. B

Stereomours back in action

My unit had a bad 2A3, so was down for a while. I was having a good time with my Fisher 500C and modded ST 70, but when put back into the main system, I realized just how attached I am to the SET sound. Man, those 2A3s just sing.
  14. B

Crash course Dynaco ST 70 101. Your not knowing what bias is, and that's ok, everyone starts somewhere, would lead me to advise you to either get a unit refurbished already, or a working unit and budget around $200 for a tech to go through it and make it safe and reliable. Around here...
  15. B

I'd like to try tubes - recommend an integrated amp to a tube noob, please!

A Scott LK 72 is a great sounding integrated. It is very warm and relaxed. Great for those old jazz records. You can't go wrong with a Scott or Fisher that has been rebuilt, and it will not go down in value.
  16. B

Dynaco ST-70 mod poll

I have a stock ST 70 with freshened power supply and can cap, a Triode kit build, and a VTA board in a ST 70 with upgraded PS. I like them all. The stock ST 70 is all about mids. The Triode PS transformer is beefier and you can hear the tighter bass, and the driver board is no slouch...
  17. B

2A3 question

Well I finally decided to do what tube 101 would tell you to do first. One channel was bad, weak and distorted, so I swapped the 2A3s and problem followed the tube. I'm using the original Sovteck tubes, which I think sound fine. I'm only shopping the cheaper tubes, as I'm retired and funds are...
  18. B

2A3 question

I have a Bottlehead Stereomour I've been running 4-6 hours a day for a year and a half or so. It suddenly lost 95% of it's volume. Do 2A3s deteriorate rapidly? My tester doesn't have that socket. I may just do a voltage check from the start up instructions. In the meantime, my Fisher 500 and...
  19. B

Are There Good Alternatives To PAS 2/3 Pre-Amps?

I have a stock factory wired PAS 3 and other than a ton of background noise (PS caps?) it has one nice midrange that is perfect for jazz and small ensemble classical music. I'm reluctant to " improve" it. I modded a PAT 4 I can use if I want more bass extension. I may rebuild the PS but don't...
  20. B

My First Journey Into Tubes

I was lucky to have a friend who suggested I start with speakers, so I built a pair of EconoWaves ( do a search for the main thread). These are very efficient two way horns. Then he suggested a Dynaco ST 70 as a first amp, as there are many out there, and a lot of info on them. If the 7199...
  21. B

Thorens Now Up And Running!

One thing is certain,your next upgrade will cost a few bucks. Just the joys of having quality stuff.
  22. B

Is the AR XA the Fender Telecaster of TT’s?

Albert Lee, Muddy Waters, Bruce Springsteen, Vince Gill, on and on and on.....
  23. B

Yes. I have three ST 70s. I'll check shipping. I'll also get my tester out and check the output...

Yes. I have three ST 70s. I'll check shipping. I'll also get my tester out and check the output tubes. Listen for a while to the 7199s and then decide what route you want to go. The stock unit has fantastic mids, but the VTA board upgrade also sounds fantastic. If you are looking at ST 70s I'm...
  24. B

Yes

Yes
  25. B

Why do ultra high end Turntables not include dustcovers?

There is a lot of satisfaction in owning anything well made. My TD 124 fills the bill quite nicely.
Back
Top Bottom