Search results

1. S

Sansui 5050 Restoration /w 2700 PCB

Thanks Lee! I'm definitely taking notes. much appreciated. I'm going to need to complete the "parts list" for each board. regarding film types, do you have a preferred brand/series for polyprops? for F-2646 C05/06 I was looking at these...
  2. S

2017 Sansui Serial Number Database

5050,037042045,Sagacious
  3. S

for instance, none of the capacitors are listed and what about R17, R13, R26, R21, R29, etc?
  4. S

Thanks Lee. That's a big help. So...you're certainly not the first person to recommend the WIMA MKS2 film caps. Just to be clear, are you recommending that I use the WIMA's in F-2646 for all non electrolytic capacitors less than 1µF? and Electrolytic for everything equal to & greater than 3.3uF...
  5. S

Thanks Pete. After looking at that chart I'm assuming you use the PW series for power supply section? Also, have you tried the KZ series for audio vs the KT? I know the KZ temp rating is only 85C. My original thought was to replace everything with 105C rated caps but if the KZ's series are...
  6. S

Hello all, I'm going to begin my first vintage audio restoration on my Sansui 5050. As mentioned in the title it is of the 2700/2701 rectifier/power supply variety. I am by no means an expert but I have done a lot of reading on posts from others about what to change out and what to change it...
  7. S

General Guidance for recapping Sansui 5050

Thanks Pete, I didn't know that about the orange caps. I'll make note of what to replace them with. I thought about that a couple days ago..as far as using general purpose caps in there since it will be better than what it came with. However, I'd still like to know--if I wanted to spend the...
  8. S

General Guidance for recapping Sansui 5050

Hello, So, I don't post on here a bunch but I'm an avid follower/reader. I'm trying to determine which boards in my Sansui 5050 need what type of electrolytic capacitor. In other words, I know you want high temp & high ripple currents caps in a Power Supply but for sound quality you want the...
  9. S

Sansui 5050 re-cap PSU vs Audio grade..

so I've got a few questions I'm hoping people can set me straight on regarding electrolytic caps. I'd like to do my 5050 soon. It's taking about 30min to warm up in the morning before it will start playing audio... :( so, I've heard of course that Audio grade caps and Power supply Caps are...
  10. S

Infinity Kappa 9 speakers.--power

So...I finally just bought an Adcom GFA 555 II. I remember some people saying that this amp might run out of gas if I put my kappa 9s in extended mode... would it be advantageous if I split the pre out and connect it back into the sansui and use the sansui on the tops? I'm *assuming* that the...
  11. S

Infinity Kappa 9, Refinishing?

I have a pair of Infinity Kappa 9 speakers that have the "golden oak" finish and is in excellent condition. My wife brought up wanting to refinish them later to match the darker stain of the other entertainment equipment in the living room. Is this is a terrible idea? I don't plan on ever...
  12. S

Pioneer PL112D, only right channel working?

thanks, it is obvious but no worries. the one i bought for parts was hooked up to a different stereo in the house while my original one in better shape is on another. i need to hook them both up to my 9090db and do some assessing. but yes, i did have the parts TT hooked up to ground, i havent...
  13. S

i never wired the cartridge up, it had been done before. i just put a new stylus on it. when i did the continuity test i found that the colors of wires match from the cartridge all the way to the board inside. they're good. i found another pl112D at goodwill recently (what is it with this model...
  14. S

thanks, is there a sure-fire way to check the cartridge? what i know to do is touch the (4) leads with something metal and see if i can get sound out of the left channel.
  15. S

Hopefully someone can help, i originally bought a record player from goodwill several years ago hoping that it would work and it didn't. it wasn't until years later i decided to take it apart and learn about them. besides, by the looks of it, i thought my Pioneer PL-112D looked pretty fancy with...
  16. S

i read the adcom gfa-555 MK II manual and it says that bridging will cause it to halve the load impedance so a .8ohm swing can become .4ohm. yikes. im assuming the original 555 would be the same way. i guess that rules out running two in mono-bridged mode for me... i suppose one will have to be...
  17. S

ok...so after following everyones advice i think im sold on the adcom gfa-555. im thinking i might be better off getting two eventually and running 1 for each speaker. will i be able to bridge these 555's and still drive them down to 1 ohm or will i just need to stick to one side of the speaker...
  18. S

very informative and i understand your logic, but in short we're basically calling a high current amp as one that is stable down to 1-2ohms, right? you give the example of an 8ohm power supply trying to drive a 1ohm load and the power supply not being able to put up with the current draw...
  19. S

thank you and i hear this a lot from everyone so there must be some truth to it. but im still confused and here's why. it takes a given amount of current to create a given amount of wattage at a certain resistance. by ohms law, thats a constant. so, how can i have a high wattage amp but low...
  20. S

Infinity Kappa 9, just got 'em

thanks, ill look around and see what the best deal is. does anyone have any idea where this "extended mode" switch is located? i've searched for pictures all over the internet and cant find anything on it. was it only on certain kappa 9's? i dont have the speakers here yet, it'll be a few weeks...
  21. S

you mean just one of these for both speakers? when i look up the specs i see 200W @ 8ohms and 325W @ 4 ohms. doesnt mention anything about 2 ohms or lower and that doesn't seem like enough power for both speakers. what am i missing? i notice there are different types of GFA-555's like the...
  22. S

what about a Crown XLS2000? All @ .05% THD Crown XLS 2000 Stereo, 2 ohms (per ch.) 775W Stereo, 4 ohms (per ch.) 525W Stereo, 8 ohms (per ch.) 300W Bridge-Mono, 8 ohms 1050W Bridge-Mono, 4 ohms 1550W I can get one for $350...
  23. S

What amp drives your Infinities?

what is a Tag 5/100 ??
  24. S

heres a thought, what if it took my sansui 9090DB and split the preamp between itself and my other sansui 8900ZDB and used the 9090DB for the woofers and the 8900zdb for the highs? am i nuts or will this work? i know the 9090 will handle 4ohm with two speakers and the 8900zdb should be safer on...
  25. S

i know im hearing that a crown or QSC isn't any good by some people, but does anyone have any input on which brand is better built?
Back
Top Bottom