Search results

1. R

Grant-Lumley GL100A amplifier

Hello. I am in NYC. There is only one left here and most of the sellers are dealers of antics. A lot of customers are turists. It is very rare to find deals like this. I go weekly to buy new media but from time to time a lightning strikes. 8<). Robert.
  2. R

Hello. The seller had about seven tube amplifiers, top class, Nakamichi Stasis amp and others. I was even thinking about buying it all but I just have so much stuff and little energy to go on. I could easily make a profit when selling but I am sixty years old and have enough money for my needs...
  3. R

Hello. It was my lucky day today. I went as usual to flea market to get some new records and cds for the coming week. I found Tannoy monitor which I bought. I also noticed a tube amplifier which looked like a home made but four 6550 McIntosh tubes and big transformers got my attention. After...
  4. R

Sony tc-458 redone

Hello. I understand an idea behind your statement but saving second head was too tempting. I respect your recomendation and I will try to rebuild the tape path in some way.
  5. R

What are you listening to on your reel to reel right now?

Hello. Mozart Piano Concertos. Sony tc458 playback head to tube head pre by J.Fosgate. Sounds like heaven. Akai 760 waiting for its turn. The same mode for playback. It elevates sound to different level. Robert.
  6. R

Sony tc-458 redone

Hello. I am very happy with them. I have two. They are all mechanical so proper grease and oil is your friend. Do not force anything when taking apart. A hair dryer first. I have found out that the main motor, and the only one, is the most important to clean and oiled. Robert.
  7. R

PACO SA-40 with matching ST-45 AM/FM tuner

Hello. You are facing the same problem as I did. That is why I have asked you about heater and b+ volages some time ago. It cannot be balanced as is. I ended running heater of all tubes small and big as dc at outlet volage of 125. Robert.
  8. R

Tape head preamplifier from RCA manual

It is like night and day. The sound is full and spacious. Much better lows and highs. Tubes do their work. I have rebuilt my Teac and got rid of reverse playback that I never used. Two playback heads are in the row. This way I can make instant switch and hear both set up by changing my amplifier...
  9. R

Yes. It was brought up by Wizard and changes were proposed.
  10. R

Thank you all again. I will look for a high quality pot and find space to install it. It plays cassettes but as you can guess it is lacking the highs.
  11. R

Thank you so much. I was hoping for your input. If I make this resistor adjustible will I be able to achieve correct values for normal and chrome cassettes or any other changes are required? Robert.
  12. R

I know what is different for cassettes but I have no idea how it translates to value of components. Cademan, I like you a lot but I do not understand what you are trying to say. There are tubes. Robert.
  13. R

Hello. I have built next tape head pre. This time it is based on RCA project. It works very well, I think more thanks to the skillful and smart people in the past than actual builder. Problem is that it works as designed for nab and 7,5 inches speed. I am asking for help in changing it to...
  14. R

Hello. I am glad you got it working. I wanted to ask you about voltages you measured. What is you high voltage and heater volage in your unit. I could not balance them in mine and I was forced to run it all as a DC. Thank you.
  15. R

I was thinking that you should also move two big 2 and 12kohms resistors above the chassis. They get very hot and cook all internal parts. Robert.
  16. R

Yes. It will. We are talking about an amplifier here so no board.
  17. R

Hello. Please do yourself a favor and replace this selenium diode for bias. You will have to change the resistors also to keep a correct voltage. Robert.
  18. R

Hello. You are a very lucky man. Little Paco is the best. It is my daily driver in bedroom system. I have five different ones but Paco is the winner. Robert.
  19. R

Sony tc-458 redone

These are ferrite heads hence dark grey color. They are hard and very good heads, as they say. I have no complains.
  20. R

Sony tc-458 redone

Thank you. I like the mechanical aspect of this deck. No plastic all metal. Now, I have an extra spare playback head for future use. These Sony heads are really thing of beauty.
  21. R

Sony tc-458 redone

Hello. I have spent last two days refreshing my Sony recorder. I removed all parts in the tape path leaving only one playback head going directly to tube head preamplifier. I clean all part and new grease was applied. Speed was also calibrated. It sounds like gold. Robert.
  22. R

What are you listening to on your reel to reel right now?

Rachmaninoff Concerto and rhapsody. Very good recording and sound quality.
  23. R

Jim Fosgate legacy-tube tape head preamplifier

Hello. I was extremely lucky to win an auction for this unit. It is working perfectly and completed my set up nicely. I am still astounded how it is built. It, as described, was Mr.Fosgate personal item. It is four channels so it had to be a part of multi channel set up. Again. I have some, very...
  24. R

No playback on JVC td-v531

Hello. This deck has fallen on my laps recently. I have cleaned it and installed new belt. It is working very well as long as the cassette is not inserted. It stops playback after few seconds due to no power in take up side. It rewinds both ways with power. Only during playback the take up reel...
  25. R

Idler drive spinning too fast. Is there a speed control for AC motors?

Hello. The horse is dead already. The size of idler does not matter but stiffness does. Too soft or too hard than original wil not allow for correct speed of the platter. That is the logic of speed adjustment in Rondine turntables For example. Robert.
Back
Top Bottom