Search results

1. SweetVintage

Early 80s Akai AA-R51 - is it worth fixing?

These receiver Do have Main In Pre Out jumpers. Going thru one now. Nice units fwiw.
  2. SweetVintage

Kenwood Eleven III Barn Find. Power Supply-Rebuild

Thank You. I actually just found it after looking in SM again tonight ordering parts. I must have been out of it this weekend. Gonna order some zeners today, will post updates as things progress.
  3. SweetVintage

Kenwood Eleven III Barn Find. Power Supply-Rebuild

So I picked this unit up from an online auction. Get it home and open it up, didn't even bother plugging it in. Found blown fuses next to transformer. I pulled amp driver board and pop around with the diode checker. 3 out of 4 output transistors are shorted, cracked emitter resistor etc. I went...
  4. SweetVintage

Teac AR-40s

If it is just the transport you are gonna want the pre amp as well, especially if you plan on recording.
  5. SweetVintage

Teac A3440 PLAY RECORD FF FR well but won't STOP at end

A customer brought this deck to me and among other things, the Auto Shutoff did Not stop the transport, only the capstan motor. Pictured is the control PCB. A pen is pointing to a bad solder joint that brings the purple wire trace to top side of board. Fixing this solder joint made the Auto...
  6. SweetVintage

WJOE RADIO - Parts supply shop

Has anyone heard if they are still around? I just checked his website www.wjoe.com and I get a 404 error. His Facebook latest post was "We're back from vacation" in July then nothing. I cannot find any info. I hope everything is OK. He had some good belt kits for Pioneer just wondering if anyone...
  7. SweetVintage

Sony TC-755 Will Not Play - FF & RW Good

Do the pinch rollers move freely up and down? I usually see that they are gummed up and frozen. The ones I've done, I had to dis assemble pretty much all linkages around the head stack, clean and re-lube. If the pinch roller assemblies are stuck and frozen, they cannot pull the tape across the...
  8. SweetVintage

Terrys Rollers update with covid

I Hope he is on the mend. Get Well Terry!
  9. SweetVintage

Empire Cavalier 2000

Well I picked up a pair of these at an online auction and the drivers are not small magnet drivers by any stretch. Still haven't fired them up yet but wanted to share what I saw. Only came with one marble top though.o_O
  10. SweetVintage

Sound quality difference between direct phono and tape monitor

Back when we used to have a lot of parties, I used my Berlant Conctertone 20/20 Reel to Reel and used to run thru the tape monitor and back out to the amp again and the result was louder and better sounding music. In fact, any reel to reel I owned would have that effect. Gotta love the tubes...
  11. SweetVintage

Teac 6010SL Playback issue

Inside the pre-amp, did you move any wiring around? Meaning I had a bad affect from a wire (shielded signal wire) that I pushed out of my way when re-capping one of those and it did something very similar. They have those wire looms in there and if everything isn't separated just right it seems...
  12. SweetVintage

Teac 6010SL Playback issue

I ran in circles looking at a 7010, couple actually then i realized I was picking up noise from either the light, monitor or the plethora of cords that were right next to the deck. Please note I had mine apart without the pre-amp shielding plates etc. Those cables from the head will pick up...
  13. SweetVintage

Akai GX-630D

Those GX Akai's have capstan servo problems and the transistor is typically on a small isolated board between the two reel motors. I change them out working or not on every GX I get in. They will usually not spin at all but I have seen them spin fast and some spin slower before they die...
  14. SweetVintage

RT-707 low recording volume

How is the Record head? Grooved?
  15. SweetVintage

sony tc 766 help

Start by Cleaning the Heads, guide posts. Maybe sticky shed on them.
  16. SweetVintage

Akai x330 opinions

Those 1960's Akai decks are Really neat decks and definitely some of the more complicated ones. Here is a video I did 7 some odd years ago of an X-300 which does Not have auto reverse or a timer on it. Plan on taking Everything apart, clean old grease and re-grease. Mine also had a handful of...
  17. SweetVintage

New cassette enthusiasts who want to fix their own decks

I would add that belt/Idler tire kits for some (if not Most) of the cassette decks not yet available, Lots of belts Are available but what Size to use??? using a belt that is either too thick or too tight or Both will affect speed (mainly). I tend to buy belts in a range meaning if I think its...
  18. SweetVintage

Akai GX 220D Update: Amp Block Problem

Oh Very Good. I have a Kenwood amp that was in protection and the BIAS adjust pot had something like coca cola spilled in it 20 years ago and the pot was just about open. Been cleaning it that last couple of days but will probably have to replace. Good Call for the FB guys. Glad to hear.
  19. SweetVintage

Akai GX 220D Update: Amp Block Problem

You mentioned extensive cleaning, did that cover all the switches too? Does the meter stop pegging when a source or volume or switch (any) other than power is flipped?
  20. SweetVintage

Akai X-1810 no right audio

I think you may have an open coil on the playback head or a broken wire but can't be sure, I would do better if I had my hands on it. Wish I could help more. The buzz is a sign of a problem with that channel.
  21. SweetVintage

Read my additional posts.
  22. SweetVintage

I wouldn't adjust the heads at all til you get the cross field knob rotating. I bet its just twisted enough so it won't play the correct tracks.
  23. SweetVintage

Oh it's coming back to me now, those decks have the track knob on the tape head cover, they get gummed up and cannot turn but when they do turn, they actually lift and lower the head assembly to play certain tracks, it needs to be in the center position to play stereo. See if you can get the...
  24. SweetVintage

If the heads are clean, sounds like someone screwed (literally) with the adjustment but If you are getting a hum out of the dead channel that wouldn't be head alignment in my world. Sounds like a broken ground or signal on the channel wire going to the head, or perhaps an open cap in that...
  25. SweetVintage

Been a while for me in those particular decks but I seem to remember having a tough time getting to them and had to spray thru the front? made a mess but it dries, if you are using De-Oxit, use the Fader lube After the D5 dries, I will usually wait 24 hours after D5, Then do the same again with...
Back
Top Bottom