Search results

1. prelius

Source for small value/low voltage electrolytic caps???

Folks. Working on recapping ElectorVoice EV-1144A amp (a small cute SS amp, which I got because I've never owned an EV SS amp)... And would like to replace 5uF 15v electrolytic cap, all 10 of them... Since I don't typically work on SS gear, I do not keep low voltage caps in stock. Looked...
  2. prelius

ElectroVoice DIY manuals sought...

Folks, I recently realized I've accumulated a few EV drivers over the years, and now would like to make something out of them... With that, I am looking for two EV KD manuals: KD7 DIY manual (Baronet), and KD9 DIY Manual (Marquis). Baronet is a smaller version of the Aristoctrats, and also...
  3. prelius

Different ways to implement local FB in SE amp

Recently, I came across an interesting schematics for EL84 SE amp. Schematics is attached. Two things that attracted my attention: 1. Fixed bias for power tube - typically EL84 SE has cathode bias, and the datasheets do not recommend running EL84 with fixed bias. Typically (as far as I can...
  4. prelius

Looking for a recommendation on electric pianos

Folks, My teenage daughter showed an interest in playing the piano again. She had played the instrument for 6 years, and then decided to take a two year break. But at the end of last school year she said she wanted to play again... Having learnt albeit an inexpensive (as in free piano), but...
  5. prelius

Hacking a Tube Power Transformer...

First, I was not sure whether this question belongs in this forum, or in DIY, but I decided to post it here, since this thread gets more views... Please move it, if the DIY seems more appropriate. I am trying to squeeze max HT current from a power transformer. The tranny is rated at ~80W, and...
  6. prelius

Grundig NF-20: What am I missing???

Cleaning out one of the cabinets past weekend, I came across a pair of NF20 OPTs... I've never actually heard the amp, but I've read quite a few raving reviews on it and seen the prices it commands... The size of the OPTs are impressive for the EL84 push-pull, so I dug into the schematics...
  7. prelius

6V6-SE/UL project

Have not built anything new in a while... A few weeks ago my daughter asked for my help with her art project, which involved me using some of the power tools in the basement. While helping her I realized how much I missed building something new (as opposed to just repairing/restoring stuff)...
  8. prelius

MC2100 - Advice sought...

Folks, I recently got a pair of MC2100s. They were used to drive dance floor/stage speakers in a small nightclub. At one point, one of the amps blew the output transistors, so they both of them got taken out of the service and replacement parts ordered. They sat on the backstage rack for many...
  9. prelius

Consolette from Detroit to Boston

Folks, looking to bring a smaller Fisher consolette 61 from Detroit to anywhere within 100 miles radius from Boston. Please let me know. Thanks. Paul
  10. prelius

Lifting heaters above ground in a preamp

Folks, Lifting heaters of the IDH tubes is an effective way to get rid of hum. But I just realized I've done this on "standard" 6.3V heaters only. Now I am working on an amp that uses 27 tubes as a driver (IDHT), and 47s as utput tubes (DHP). I have separate heaters for the 27s and 47s, and...
  11. prelius

What's inside the Bluetooth speakers?

I am trying to understand the insides of the whole slew of modern Bluetooth speakers, including Amazon's Alexa, and Apple's HomePod. Do these speakers have stereo amps inside? If so, are they bridged (two amps into one set of speakers) or do they have two sets of speakers (one per channel)...
  12. prelius

Fair value of a MC2150

My friend has a McIntosh 2150 sitting in his basement. Unrestored, dusty, condition unknown. I am interested, because I've never owned a SS MC amp, but don't want to offend /take advantage of a friend by low-balling him. what would a fair value of the amp in this condition? I've seen a few...
  13. prelius

What do you think (or have experience) with this car conversion?

My daughter is graduating from college next year. She's got a job lined up already on the West coast, so she is highly likely to move there come next May. I would like to give her a car as a graduation present, something funky and unorthodox. This train of thought brought me to looking into...
  14. prelius

6BM8 as a voltage regulator

Decided to build a "full- featured" voltage regulator for the G2 screens using 6BM8 from the following schematics: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/sound_practices/3/one_tube_regulator.htm And I stumbled on seemingly simple question: how much B+ current should I reserve on the PSU for it...
  15. prelius

Scott tuner/amp combo in Mono

Folks, Quick question on Scott tuners and amps. I want a chocolate faceplate receiver and an amp for my guest room setup. LT10 looks like the right candidate. For the amp I was thinking a 99A, but cannot find it with the same color front panel as LT10 (chocolate). I guess my question is...
  16. prelius

What are these?

Folks, I've been cleaning some of the boxes, and found two of these. Looks like they came out of a tube amp (either PA or music/guitar)... I could not find any references to them or the amp it came out of... MP-102 Dual Mic Pre-AMP 601-1-10 - OK, this sounds like input tranny for a stereo...
  17. prelius

Modern Replacement for EV Lpads

Folks, It is a pleasure to see increased volume in the Speaker forum regarding ElectroVoice speakers, drivers, crossovers, etc. I am a big fan of EV! With that, I am looking a modern replacement for EV AT37 and AT38 LPADs. AT37 is 16Ohm version and AT38 is 8Ohm version. Would these...
  18. prelius

What's the difference?

Folks, Why in some multi-way speakers the drivers are mounted flush with the front/top of baffle, whereas in other speakers the drivers are mounted on the rear/inside if the baffle. For example: Cornwalls - all drivers are mounted on the inner surface of the front panel vs KLH12 - all...
  19. prelius

How to remove a motorboard on Cornwalls

Folks, I have set of Cornwall cabs, and I am considering building a Cornscalas out of them... But I can't figure our how to remove the motorboard (the front panel, where the speakers are mounted)... It looks like it is glued to the standoffs... Any suggestions/how-to would be appreciated...
  20. prelius

WE91A: 310A vs 6J7/6SJ7

Folks, Have you had a a chance to compare drivers for a modified WE91A amp (per GlassAudio article)? Are there sonic differences that are significant enough to warrant using a WE310A? Let's leave technical issues (i.e. need for 10V filament trannies, etc aside) Would love to hear your...
  21. prelius

Need PE from Goldboro NC to MA/NJ/NYC

Folks, Need to move a pair of large speaker cabs, roughly 40"x24"x24" from Goldsboro to Boston, MA area. Since I travel often (once/twice a month) to NJ/NYC, I could pick them up either in NYC or in NJ... Please let me know, we'll work out some form of compensation... :-) Thanks, Paul.
  22. prelius

Schematic recommendations for a tube preamp sought...

Folks, I am considering replacing/upgrading some of my audio components in my living room. Today the setup consists of the following: Sources: Technics SL1700MK2 iPad/iPhone Home NAS/Streaming (via Sonos Connect) Preamp: Marantz 7C clone (DIY); Power amp: Amp1:6B4G SE; Amp2:GU50...
  23. prelius

GU50 Experiments...

I've built this GU50 SE some time ago, using RH Universal schematics (By Alex Kitic). It sounded quite well, but I liked the 6550 version of the RHU better, so the amp went into storage, until recently... Recently I pulled it out of storage, and decided to try a triode-strapped GU50, along...
  24. prelius

Speaker Dumentions: Do hey Matter?

Folks, Forgive me for such a naive question, but suppose you have a FR driver, like University 312 or EV 12TRXB, (or any other FR driver: MarkAudio, Fostex, etc) and wanted to build a cabinet for it. The tech spec sheet says 5-7 cubic feet of volume, so lets settle for 6. I can build the cab...
  25. prelius

My (almost) Sweet 807...

Due to the changes in my job, I have not had a chance to turn on my soldering gun for the past 7 months, give or take, but finally I had an opportunity this past week... Recently, I heard a Sweet 807 by Dennis Had... Simply great sound, nothing else to add! Don was kind to take off the bottom...
Back
Top Bottom