Search results

1. A

Probably a Basic Cassette Deck Question

Another solution if you are looking for a deck that will have repeatable azimuth adjustment is the Cassette Deck One or the DR1 Nakamichi decks. They are very basic three head dual capstan decks that have a knob to adjust playhead azimuth. Another option is the CR-7A however this deck is pricey...
  2. A

Clear vinyl Records: Pros/Cons?

That's why turntables with optical size detectors either allow you to rotate the record mat to block the detector holes in the platter, or come with a opaque paper mat you place over the platter under the translucent or transparent vinyl. A_L
  3. A

An audio investment.

Dragon is one of those decks, if not THE deck to use for getting the best sound out of the pre-recorded cassettes. The auto azimuth system (NAAC) assures all tapes are played back with proper alignment. Makes excellent recordings too. A_L
  4. A

Wollensak 8-track player?!?

Wollensak's are the high end of 8 track decks. They fetch a good price on Ebay. They had the best sound quality and recording quality for the format. Their Achilles heal is the DC motors. They are weak and cannot handle tapes with a tight tape pack very well. I have an 8075a which is the TOTL...
  5. A

What Does A Nakamichi Eat?

Nakamichi's own tapes were made by TDK, so it makes sense that's the tape they calibrate the decks to. A_L
  6. A

How many different tape machines have you had/have now?

Only listing decks I have: R2R: Technics RS-1500 Pioneer RT-2022 Otari MX-5050BII2 Teac 3340S Cassette: Nakamichi Dragon Nakamichi Cassette Deck One Nakamichi CR-7A Nakamichi 700ZXE 8 track: Akai CR80DSS x2 Wollensack 8075a Dat: Tascam DA302 Digital: Tascam...
  7. A

Why Does 8-Track Exist?

8 tracks had one thing going for them. Easiest way to get discrete quadraphonic music. A_L
  8. A

Rarest Pre-recorded Pop/Rock Reel to Reel Tape?

Ginger Baker's Air Force seems rather scarce on reel to reel. I have one still factory sealed. A_L D'oh, soon as I post this, I notice two of them on Ebay. Never seen another one till today.
  9. A

Researching 8 Track Players/Recorders - Any Recs or Comments?

The Wollensak 8075a is THE best 8 track recorder/player as for sound quality. Very close to open reel sound. Quality electronics in this unit. And Dolby NR to boot. The only drawback is their weak DC motors. Every one I've had could not keep a constant speed. After a while it would stop playing...
  10. A

Tape Recorder Selector Switch Boxes

I use a Russound TM-1 Connections for 5 tape decks. I have my four Nakamich tape decks connected to this. I also have a Sony SB-500, which I plan to use for my three reel to reel decks. I like the look and feel of the Sony, but love the 5 deck connections of the TM-1. A_L
  11. A

Finally Received My Tandberg 3014A Deck Today

It'll be a Tandamichi deck. Or maybe a Nakberg? A_L
  12. A

What's your top 5 pre-recorded reel to reel tapes?

That I own: 1: Pink Floyd the final cut 2x10" reels at 15ips 2 track by Warner studios for radio play 2: Pink Floyd BBC Rock Hour #7 7.5ips 7" 2 track radio station reel 3: Pink Floyd - Westwood One radio world premier of The Division Bell 2x10" 75ips radio station reels 4: Ginger Baker's...
  13. A

Top Tapedeck Shootout at Innovative Audio

Damn and I just had my Dragon aligned, and calibrated and the NAAC now works perfectly all for $35. Now you're say my deck is worthless? Damn this sux. A_L
  14. A

so why do we still have tape decks?? what's your reason?

I was out of the tape game for about 10 years, then when I got into Pink Floyd, tape trading was the name of the game. So I had a cheap dual cassette deck. then eventually upgraded to a sony 3 head. When CDR's became the trading medium for live shows, I stopped with tape again for a while. Until...
  15. A

oh hell, I've gone and done it again.

Evilbay has done it to me again. Made me an offer I could not refuse. 2 boxes of Maxell UR cassette tapes for $750. Seller even tossed in a mint Nak 700ZXE and NR100 Dolby C ecnoder/Decoder. A_L
  16. A

Scored 2 Technics 1500s but need crosstalk help!

When playing tapes recored in stereo, both directions, make sure the switch on the headblock is in the 4track position. If you are still getting crosstalk after doing this, then the head is either out of alignment, or there's major tape path alignment issues. A_L
  17. A

New member, help me pick 1st TRT

If/once you find a suitable deck, make sure you look over the tapes for sticky shed syndrome. If they are Ampex tapes, they are 99.999999999% guaranteed to shed. If the recordings are dear to you, I'd follow Vintage TX's advice and have them transfered by a pro at a studio. A_L
  18. A

Technics 1506...does this matter?

Sounds like there's the likelihood of any or all of the following: Head alignment, worn heads, tape skew, vu meter calibration, playback level calibration, record level calibration. Any of these can cause level variations. I have a similar problem with RS-1500, the levels are not matched...
  19. A

New Member...First RTR, Pioneer RT707

Wow, that deck sure is ugly with it's clothes off. Nice score though. I used to covet those until I got hold of a RT-2022 for a steal. A_L
  20. A

Technics Reel to Reel

You have the head stack of a 1500 if yours is recording 1/2track stereo. The head stacks are interchangeable. A_L
  21. A

Technics Reel to Reel

Look for an RS-1506 if you want to record 1/4 track stereo. RS-1500 is half track stereo. Both will play either format, but each one only records one format. RS-1520 is a RS-1500 with built in oscillator for bias adjustment and has IEC EQ for playing and recording at 15ips with better signal to...
  22. A

Best cassette deck with adjustable azimuth?

Nakamichi: Cassette Deck One DR-1 CR-7A Those are the only three with user adjustable PH azimuth (the CR-7A can even be done by remote control) The Dragon has automatic playhead azimuth adjustment. However if the tapes have little high frequency energy, or the levels are low, the NAAC...
  23. A

Can DDS2 tapes be used in a DAT recorder?

Been using Maxell DDS2 90m for years in a Tascam DA-302. Never a problem. A_L
  24. A

Wollensak 8075 - No motion in motor

Seems to be a common problem with Wollensak 8 track decks. I have had three 8075a decks. All of them have experienced motor problems. I've not had one go completely dead, but they always start playing fine, then after a few minutes, they start losing speed, and get slower and slower until it...
  25. A

has anyone tried this? Quad transfer question.

The Tascam 8 track reel to reel decks did not have 3 3/4 IPS. ALso the track spacing is different than the spacing on 8 track decks. As I stated in another post, your best option is a top condition quad 8 track deck. The only person I know who's moded a reel to reel deck for quad 8 track play...
Back
Top Bottom