Search results

1. LeeS

Real meaning of BRN in Caps

BRN is the official acronym for the colour brown. Could it simply be that the actual colour of the very early low leakage EL caps were brown ?? :scratch2:
  2. LeeS

New addition - AU-919

Congrats John.... I am truly jealous.... :ntwrthy: :banana::banana::guitar::jawdrop: Look forward to the renovation... :thmbsp:
  3. LeeS

AU 919 preamp is pure class A?

Push-Pull Class A topology exists, so not quite true. They use two, four or more devices (always in pairs) which are driven in opposite phase to each other. This cancels out the even-order distortion and gives very clean sound.
  4. LeeS

This is probably the cause of low phono output on my AU-555A

No - It's just a bit of conformal coating that has been accidentally scratched off. It will have nothing to do with low output unless the actual track has broken. Can you see if the track itself (the copper coloured bit underneath the green paint) has broken ?
  5. LeeS

BA-F1 on the work bench

Yep... Sorry.. Me too.. In the rush to view the awesome photos I failed to read the text properly. My bad !! As you were.......
  6. LeeS

BA-F1 on the work bench

My very thoughts also.... There's loads of them in there too... Get 'em out and get some nice silver micas in there instead.... :thmbsp:
  7. LeeS

Sansui brand re-introduced in the UK

I love the way they have printed all the socket/switch legends on the back panels upside down as well as in the conventional plane. This makes plugging in/out from above a little easier.... Good idea...
  8. LeeS

Capacitor type "BRN"

Hey Stene. Where did you get a TU-719 Service Manual (or schematic) with diagrams so clear? Any chance of a copy of it? Mine must be a 15th generation copy of a copy from HFE. Can barely see what's what. Had to use a loupe to read it and even then it was tough. Thanks guys for all the...
  9. LeeS

Capacitor type "BRN"

Well according to the schematic John, there are 5 of them in a TU-719 tuner. All on board F2975 and all around IC-04. Caps C56, C57, C59, C63 and C66. I won't bother changing them if they are actually tants when I open her up.
  10. LeeS

Capacitor type "BRN"

Thanks Ron. That's good info. I will try and source some for the spares box and the job in hand. :thmbsp:
  11. LeeS

Capacitor type "BRN"

Ahhh. Thanks John. So what kind of cap would I replace these with if I were to be doing a recap on a TU-719? I have produced a list of all of the EL caps in the 719 and there are 2 Bi-Polars (no problems - have those) but 5 of these BRN type. Would a usual Pansonic FC do, or are there low noise...
  12. LeeS

Capacitor type "BRN"

What does BRN signify when next to a capacitor (which appears polarised) on the Sansui schematics? I am guessing it could be a dipped bead tantalum, but why BRN? BRowN ? Or is it just a "special" type of electrolytic ? :scratch2:
  13. LeeS

Problems with AU719

Looks OK to me..... If it were me, I'd go for it, but only with the dim bulb in circuit..... Good luck !! Don't worry too much about the bypass caps... It will work with or without them fitted assuming of course that one of them isn't short circuit...
  14. LeeS

Problems with AU719

That's right.... They should be connected +ve to -ve as shown clearly in the schematic... It's a miracle you weren't blinded or injured..... :tears:
  15. LeeS

Look what I have here!!!

:eek::nutz::ntwrthy:
  16. LeeS

AU-719 repair and recap

Any difference in sound, noise or anything using the films instead of the 'lytics, Pete? Or is this just to prevent you having to change them all again in 20 years or so ? :D
  17. LeeS

My first Sansui rack system

Hmmm.... Maybe some of those components are due a re-cap sometime soon, just to make sure they're giving of their best... :scratch2: Also check things like voltages, bias and offsets... :thmbsp:
  18. LeeS

My first Sansui rack system

You just need a nice 'sui TT to sit atop now.... :banana:
  19. LeeS

AU-517 vs AU-719 - a post-recap comparison

OK. Here are some photos of the latest upgrades/mods: Mundorf main PSU caps with temporary 0.1uf Wima by-pass caps: New ClarityCap ESA 2.2uF 250v by-pass caps: New Mills 0.33R 12w NI wirewounds: ClarityCap by-pass caps fitted: New Mills vs old ceramics...
  20. LeeS

AU-719 repair and recap

I bought a cheap chinese capacitance meter to check all the caps from mine, but unfortunately I had thrown all the old ones away apart from the 4 big PSU ones. These measured sort of OK, but they were all a bit down on the value they were meant to be, but one was well down. I think it was out of...
  21. LeeS

Hi Angus/John. No problems, but I do tend to work at a snail's pace, so bear with me on this. I am not sure how big these things need to be yet and I only have 2 x A5 sheets of perspex so I am guessing I can get 3 or 4 plates out of each one. I will use up all the perspex I have and the laser...
  22. LeeS

Just received some gold-plated 5-way binding posts and some 5mm black perspex for the binding post conversion. I am going to CAD up a template for the black perspex plates so they are a drop-in replacement for the original plastic panels. I will then have the perspex laser cut and I'll probably...
  23. LeeS

Problems with AU719

Personally I used Mundorf M-Lytic AG+ 10,000uF, 80v 105c. Lots use the Nichcon Gold Tune, Epcos or BHC though.
  24. LeeS

Problems with AU719

I did all of the EL caps including the 4 main PSUs (eventually), all of the zener diodes, replaced all the pots with bournes 25 turn trimmers, changed the heatsink compound on the heatsinks and replaced all 4 of the 22pF black flags. with silver micas. 1 on each driver board and 2 on the...
  25. LeeS

Problems with AU719

:thmbsp: :yes:
Back
Top Bottom