Search results

1. mufinas

speaker recommendations

just to give an update - found a local pair of Tannoy Venus Mk2 (V30s) and scooped them up. Couldn't find their specs anywhere online but they sound pretty good, my main qualm being with their imaging and mid-range. Sound is quite forward and central, these Tannoys don't necessarily fill the...
  2. mufinas

speaker recommendations

Thanks everyone. I'm particularly looking at those listed because they're local and I found a pair of Tangent TM3s as sell. How do the Tangents stack up against the Tannoys? I'll be running a Systemdek IIX through a Pioneer SA 9100, for what it's worth.
  3. mufinas

speaker recommendations

Hi everyone, I'm planning on getting rid of my Mirage 750 floorstanders and going for a smaller set-up of bookshelf speakers. To get a general idea, so far I've moved up from Paradigm SE's (5 & 7) to the Mirages, so I'm curious to know if (or how) any of these would compare in sound: Mirage...
  4. mufinas

DIY stands for KEF Cantor II

hi everyone, have gotten my hands on a minty pair of KEF Cantor IIs and need to raise these beauties up to ear-level. i'm going to outsource the stands to a local carpenter but i'm not sure which type of stands would be better (digging through the AK archive didn't clear it up that much)...
  5. mufinas

Speaker suggestions for NAD 160a

I'm getting the vintage receiver soon from the shop and am looking to pair it with the appropriate set of speakers. So far, locally, I spotted the following (within my budget) but a looming question is whether I should aim for vintage speakers or new ones. As I'm unfamiliar with the sound of...
  6. mufinas

Grace F9 or Godlring 102?

@sreten thanks for the heads-up. Can anyone chime in with opinions regarding the 'sound' of each cartridge?
  7. mufinas

That's not an option for me as I've decided to leave the Shure back in Toronto on my old IIX. Plus, I've always been curious about trying out new cartridges - the Grace F9 cart that's been gathering dust and now the Goldring.
  8. mufinas

Hi everyone, After a long search to find the right turntable for my move to Europe, I was lucky to come across a Systemdek IIX E900 (an improvement over my current IIX here in Toronto). It's fitted with a RB300 arm and Goldring 1006 cartridge, but would like to upgrade the cart as I have some...
  9. mufinas

Systemdek acrylic platter

Hi everyone, Looked around VinylEngine and AK but no thread was conclusive on the upgrade compatibility of the IIX and Audio Note platters. I understand there are two types of sub-platters: http://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/larg ... ntable.jpg *which is what my table currently has and this...
  10. mufinas

Barter Town, or Other Selling & Buying Venues

didn't know where to post this, but regarding Barter Town - are the majority of sellers in the US/North America? *asking because I'd want to put a wanted ad for a European product. MODS: apologies in advance if I posted in the wrong section/thread.
  11. mufinas

Thorens TD 160 advice - arm + cart

@tnsilver @the_nines @grottyash and everyone else, thank you for clearing my obsessive fog over this particular Thorens. I've started looking online at UK-based vintage shops and will go that route - pay for the shipping cost but know that I'll be getting an excellent turntable from a reliable...
  12. mufinas

That was my initial thought, to buy one here and have it shipped. My concern however is: 1) Shipping a turntable internationally is something I distrust and am really weary of doing. Has anyone done this before with used turntables? (I would have no problem shipping a brand new, packed Rega or...
  13. mufinas

Just received some clarification from the seller. It seems he has indeed removed the sub-arm and cartridge leads, using their clips to directly connect the cartridge to the tonearm wiring. Wouldn't this cause major interference/hum?!? He has been complaining that there is a hum coming from the...
  14. mufinas

@the_nines & everyone else - still waiting for a bit more details, but from what I gathered, he's removed the headshell leads and used their pin-hooks to attach the cart directly to the tone-arm wiring (which is still original, btw). the sub-arm was hence removed in favour of a lower-mass wood...
  15. mufinas

Hm...in this case, would you recommend going for the Thorens? (pending the seller's reply about the tonearm modifications, of course)
  16. mufinas

Hi grottyash, wanted to continue the conversation off-thread, but not sure how to do it with the...

Hi grottyash, wanted to continue the conversation off-thread, but not sure how to do it with the new layout.
  17. mufinas

Made a spelling mistake that might change things(?). It's a Rega RP1, not P1.
  18. mufinas

Thanks Balifly, I'll have my friend audition the Rega hopefully this week. Out of curiosity, as I'm unfamiliar with either brand, but why recommend re-tipping the Ortofon than the Grace? They would essentially be the same price. If it helps, I will be playing all kinds of music, from...
  19. mufinas

Quick on the update, but slightly tangential. I found a Rega P1 that's a fraction of the cost of the Thorens (1/4 to be precise), and it comes with OM5E cart. Very plain P1, no glass platter upgrade, etc. Is re-tipping the Grace F-9E from SoundSmith and mounting it on the Rega a better option...
  20. mufinas

Hi everyone, Thanks for the input and the empathetic nerves. It's a sad reality that I found in Bucharest's local market but then again, I'm sure deals do come up. I'm going to ask him to be more precise on the mods to the tonearm and whether any of them are reversible. If they are, should I...
  21. mufinas

I hear you all on the price - it's absurd, but that's the going rate for turntables of that caliber in Romania. I had to wait a whole year before I could find a decent receiver (in good condition, mind you) - ended up grabbing a NAD 160a. The seller is willing to drop the price, I already...
  22. mufinas

Hi everyone, New to the Thorens club as until now I had the joy of owning a Systemdek IIX and a Dual 1229Q. Long-story short, I moved continents and being in Romania I had to start from scratch (I posted various threads asking for advice on receivers, etc.). Looking for a new turntable, I...
  23. mufinas

hi rlisin, i've read a bunch of your posts about the NAD 160 and i thought to ask you for some...

hi rlisin, i've read a bunch of your posts about the NAD 160 and i thought to ask you for some advice. i posted a thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/nads-90-160a-vs-luxman.721277/ their specs are identical and the model 90 has slightly better input options, but something...
  24. mufinas

NADs 90 / 160a (vs. Luxman)

Hi everyone, Still not there with re-building a simple audio system, but slowly getting there. My previous "audio" experience has been with a Pioneer SA-9100 (paired with the TX-9100), and with a smaller apartment, I'm starting to prefer receivers over separates. That being said I found 3...
  25. mufinas

Pioneer SX 838 vs. 990

Hi everyone, Narrowing down some choices of receivers and I'm set on continuing my allegiance to the Pioneer sound. I found an 838 and 990 in great condition (the 838 has the speaker adapters) but since neither of them are local, which would you recommend (in terms of sound, build quality...
Back
Top Bottom