Search results

1. Electone

Akai AP-207 Strobe Issue ONLY in Single Play - How does this power supply work?

It would seem all the cleaning in the world is not going to fix these microswitches. Changed out the two switches that operate the timing motor and bingo - no more arcing.
  2. Electone

Cleaned all four switches now. Only 1 showed minor signs of arcing (the top one near the start switch). The other two near the timing motor were spotless. No change - still arcing. I swapped out the switch with the signs of arcing with a new switch - no change. I'm starting to wonder if the...
  3. Electone

Thread revival. I have one of these on the bench right now. Similar issue except the strobe is flickering and a very loud hum noise is present even in the audio cables when the timing motor activates. I recapped the motor board which didn't clear the issue. I cleaned both microswitches near...
  4. Electone

Cartridge for Technics SL 5

There should be no difference between the 85 and older 92 other than the quality of the stylus mounted to it. Bodies should be identical.
  5. Electone

Pioneer PL-570 Help with tonearm return

Little thread revival here, but I have a 570 on the bench right now with the auto-start function not moving the tonearm to the start of the record. The gear motor and transmission are fine on this table. The issue turned out to be that the little spring which clips onto part "F" of the service...
  6. Electone

For 'F' sake....

Why would a repairer polish lids and detail tables in for service? I've never had that done when I've dropped off equipment for repair...
  7. Electone

For 'F' sake....

Watch at 13:50
  8. Electone

Help! Grease or oil on my turntable spindle?

I like a non-detergent 30 weight oil for these type of bearings. For Technics DD bearing, a lighter weight oil like Singer works well. Not a fan of putting combustion engine oils in turntable bearings - no need for all the additives and dispersants.
  9. Electone

SL-1300 cueing lever issue

10. Electone

Technics SL D20

You need an entire P-mount cartridge, not a needle.
  11. Electone

Which to keep: Technics SL-D3, Lenco L-76 or Marlux MX-66

That SL-D3 will outlive all of us.
  12. Electone

Minty Dual CS-5000 Won't Start

Thread revival. Have one of these in for service right now - no motor spin. Found two of the tiny copper coil wires snapped. Re-connected them and now the motor is energizing, but still not spinning. When the tonearm is moved over, the motor jerks a little and stops. All electrolytics have...
  13. Electone

Scariest Movie You've Seen

Not a movie, but an episode from the TV series 'Space: 1999' called "Dragon's Domain". Scared the living crap out of me when I was seven or eight years old. Still packs a punch today.
  14. Electone

Tuners?

I don't listen to the radio a lot in the house, but my tuners are: Yamaha TX-900U Yamaha T-7 Pioneer TX-5500ii
  15. Electone

Digital cables and sound.

I always thought this video was food for thought:
  16. Electone

Technics SL-P1 Maintenance Project

I restored a SL-P3 a few years back. Love the look and build quality of this series.
  17. Electone

My new CD player. Teac PD-400

Clean the rails with alcohol and then lightly lubricate them with some oil. A drop of oil on the top spindle bearing of all the motors helps too.
  18. Electone

Nichicon EOL ??

I've been using Wurth electrolytics with good results. They are less expensive and have a good product line. Here is their low-leakage series: https://www.we-online.com/catalog/en/WCAP-ATUL
  19. Electone

Can dirty or corroded contacts cause channels to drop? NAD C370 help

Equivalent Series Resistance. Look up an ESR chart on google. Those are the nominal values you can expect for a certain capacitance/voltage. You don't want high ESR.
  20. Electone

NAD 7155 cd/aux ground hum and other issues

NAD and bad capacitors go hand-in-hand. I don't usually recommend a blanket recap, but with NAD, it's just worth the time and effort.
  21. Electone

Can dirty or corroded contacts cause channels to drop? NAD C370 help

This era of NAD equipment is littered with "JH" brand electrolytic capacitors. To put mildly, they are horse excrement. I recently recapped a C270 power amp and a C162 pre-amp and just about every electrolytic cap in both units had ridiculously high ESR and the capacitance was nowhere near...
  22. Electone

Pre-amp recommendations

Yamaha C-70, C-4 NAD C160, C162
  23. Electone

NAD: help me decide

I've owned a 3240PE (the Integrated Amp version of the 7240PE) since new in 1988. It has never given me a problem and I have restored it recently. I also own the 316BEEv2 and a 7020e. Sound wise, there is very little to choose between them - the newer 316 is a little brighter, the older units...
  24. Electone

Ethernet cable placement

First post and it's about ethernet cables and sound quality :confused:. I've got news for you - unless there is a physical problem with the cable, the ones and zeros will arrive from point A to point B exactly the same, even with a lower quality cable.
  25. Electone

Little Office System

Put together a nice little office system. Dual CS503-1 turntable, NAD 7020e receiver (just finished a full recap on it), Kyocera DA-310cx CD Player and a JVC Digifine TD-W7SD cassette deck. Speakers are brand new Paradigm Monitor SE Atoms. Hidden behind is a Google Chromecast Audio streaming...
Back
Top Bottom