Search results

1. Electone

Little Office System

Put together a nice little office system. Dual CS503-1 turntable, NAD 7020e receiver (just finished a full recap on it), Kyocera DA-310cx CD Player and a JVC Digifine TD-W7SD cassette deck. Speakers are brand new Paradigm Monitor SE Atoms. Hidden behind is a Google Chromecast Audio streaming...
  2. Electone

NAD 7020e phono preamp coil

While re-capping my 7020e, I was removing some of the nasty glue from the board. There are 2 coils in the phono preamp which are both glued down to the board. I was picking away and heard a little snap and one of the legs of one of the coils pulled away from its solder pad. I desoldered the...
  3. Electone

Options for re-lamping CR-1040 with LEDs

Buddy's 1040 is on the bench. All four tuner dial lamps are out (and yes, I know they are wired in series). Was thinking of removing the lamp board and installing a green LED strip along the entire length of the clear plastic diffuser. Supply power measures in at around 26 volts DC. LED...
  4. Electone

Yamaha RX-500U In Protect

Working on a nice old Yammy receiver. Relay won't click - it's in protect. Measured normal DC offset on Left channel (10mV). Right channel is showing +17vDC which is obviously why it's in protect. Pulled the two output trannys on the R channel (2SC2579 & 2SA1104) and it now comes out of...
  5. Electone

CR-640 - One IG02980 Blown

A friend of mine's 640 would not power up. Checked the main 4A fuse - blown. Put in a new fuse and powered it up on dim-bulb with 100W bulb - glowed brightly. Desoldered and checked for shorts across pins 2 & 9 of the Darlingtons. Sure enough, one of the ICs had a short across the pins...
  6. Electone

CR-2020 Power Switch - Cleaned - how long will it last?

Last month, I powered down my 2020 and it did not shut off. I flipped the switch back up, then back down and it did shut off. This was the first sign that the switch was going wonky. The unit has had all the service bulletins done. Today, I decided to tear apart the switch and see what was...
  7. Electone

Shure M55 - Nude Elliptical vs Bonded Vivid Line?

I have a vintage Shure M44E cartridge and would like to buy a new stylus for it. I'm looking at two LP Gear replacements (supposedly made by Jico). One is a nude .3x.7 elliptical. The other is a bonded "Vivid Line" (line contact) stylus. The turntable is a Technics SL1200mkII. The question...
  8. Electone

Relay substitute

Picked up another Yamaha Electone keyboard. Model EL-90. Has three relays on the power supply / power amp board. One takes care of shutting off the main speakers and turning on the headphone jack. It is definitely faulty. Service manual shows is as part #: DH24D2-OT (M) 24V. Any modern...
  9. Electone

Sanyo 2SD1238 replacement

I'm having difficulty finding an original pair of these transistors for use in my NAD 2100 power amp. Don't want to try any Chinese or ebay clones for obvious reasons. Two cross-reference replacements are the 2SC2581 and 2SC2837. Specs are: 2SD1238 / 2SC2581 / 2SC2837 PC: 80w / 100w / 100w...
  10. Electone

NAD 2100 in protection

So, I bought back my old 2100 that someone blew up real good. For $50, I thought what the hell, nice little project. Here's what I've found blown so far: C510: -40V supply filter cap blown, melted (this line is now getting -51v) Q440 (C3281) Q436 C2344) Q426 (C3423) Q432 (C3467) Q430 (A1370)...
  11. Electone

NAD 2100 - Filter Cap Explosion!

I recapped this power amp a couple of years ago and ran it in my system without issue. I have since sold it and the new owner (who runs it pretty hard by his own admission) sent me a couple photos this morning saying the amp died. When he sent me the photos, my jaw dropped. I personally have...
  12. Electone

T-7 Tuner Dial Indicator

Picked up a very nice T-7 tuner. Most of the electrolytic caps had corroded legs (mostly the Panasonic 10uf/25v). I have recapped it. Also, the rechargeable battery had leaked and made a mess of the board. I have ordered a new battery for it. The issue I'm having is that the main dial...
  13. Electone

NAD C270 - Extra filter caps

I'm in the process of re-capping a NAD C270 power amp and noticed there are two extra, empty places on the main board for some more filter caps (perhaps used in a higher model?). The amp comes stock with four 10,000uf/80v caps. Besides the risk of increased in-rush current, looking for a yea...
  14. Electone

JVC L-A100 speed issue

Firstly, I picked up this turntable for $20 to flip it, so if I can't get his sorted out, no big loss. Here's the issue - 33 speed is inconsistent, 45 is fine - so I'm thinking the motor is ok (and it has been lubricated). New belt installed. Speed pots cleaned and De-Oxited and I even changed...
  15. Electone

Voltage potential on dummy pins - filter caps NAD 2100

I just finished servicing my two NAD 2100 amps to be run bridged. The two 10,000uf/80v filter caps are the 4-pin type with two pins soldered to the board as support. I used CDE 382LX caps. By luck, I came across a thread on another website where the OP stated that he was getting bulging in...
  16. Electone

NAD 2100 Relay Help

I would like to replace the speaker output relays on my two NAD 2100s. I've worked on 3100s in the past and used this relay: Omron G2R-2A-DC24. It's a DPST 4-pin drop-in replacement: https://www.digikey.ca/products/en?keywords=Z3132-ND I'm trying to save some costs and found some less...
  17. Electone

NAD 2100 hums until warmed up

I recently purchased a second NAD 2100 so that I can run them in bridged mode. Both have been completely recapped except for the four large filter caps (2 x 10000uf/80v, 2 x 10000uf /50v). One is completely silent, the other has what sounds like a 60hz hum for about 5 minutes after a cold...
  18. Electone

C-70 Preamp - Great deal because of this...

Corner damaged. Nothing broken, plastic piece is intact, cover is bowed out, faceplate bent in. [/IMG] Looking for opinions on the repair of the faceplate. My thinking is some heat, a flat surface and some good whacks by some sort of blunt instrument. Thoughts please...!
  19. Electone

So, what's going to happen when I install a replacement STK-8050?

I'm repairing a Technics SU-V4 for my cousin. He really wants to relive his "youth" and get this amp going again. Unfortunately, one of the STK8050s has bit the dust. I confirmed this by checking voltages, removing the dead IC and moving the good IC to the previous bad channel which now works...
  20. Electone

Here's a weird issue for you: NAD C340

Picked up this integrated amp from GW today. Couldn't test it, but relay clicked when turned on, so that's a good sign. Hooked it up when I got home after cleaning the controls - no output on left channel. Checked pre-amp section by removing jumpers and hooking up an external amp - all good...
  21. Electone

M4 weak filter caps - running out of steam?

After I picked up my KEF Q900s, I noticed for the first time that my M4 was clipping in the red. I don't believe I was listening at outrageous volume but on some heavy bass guitar / bass drum music, the red leds were lighting up. Since then, I've purchased an Adcom GFA-555ii which has double...
  22. Electone

A little Rotel love: RX-802

Picked up a stunning example of this (rather rare?) receiver. Not a tremendous amount of info out there, made between 1976-1981. Although technically not a "monster" at 50w/ch, it has monster dimensions - it's two feet wide. They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this is one of...
  23. Electone

Kenwood KR-3130 FM stereo distortion

Working on a little Kenwood KR-3130. The FM side of things has no problem pulling in stations and sounds perfectly fine in mono. When it locks on to a stereo FM station, I get nasty distortion in the left channel and the sounds seems to drift to the right channel. There is no service manual...
  24. Electone

Found a Kyocera gem

Picked up a Kyocera DA-310CX CD player from Goodwill the other day. Man is this thing beautiful. In excellent condition - those wood side panels add a touch of luxury. Manufacture date is October 1987. Did some minor maintenance on it - lube the rails and tray slides, a drop of oil on the...
  25. Electone

Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus

Purchased one of these this past week and I've had an opportunity to put it through its paces. Got it for half price - factory refurb unit with full warranty. Nicely built with easy to understand controls. I like that the indicator shows what sampling rate it's processing and everything is...
Back
Top Bottom