Search results

1. Alex Hayes

Allied Turntable

Thanks for the input guys! Sounds like it might be worth going through a little. I was pretty excited about the cartridge. Maybe I'll fix it up and give it to a friend. It would make a decent starter table it sounds like. I was surprised by the tonearm. I definitely don't expect to have tracking...
  2. Alex Hayes

Allied Turntable

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been here but I have a quick question for you. A lady I work with was moving and asked if I'd be interested in some old speakers and possibly an old turntable. Not knowing what to expect I just said yes figuring I'd see what it is. It ended up being a lot...
  3. Alex Hayes

What blank cassette tapes to look for

The most common brands you will find will probably be Maxell and TDK. If you find those in Type II then that's great! But even a good Type I like a TDK D90 or a Fuji DR-I will produce solid results so don't turn those down if you find them for a good price. Other brands that produce quality...
  4. Alex Hayes

Nakamichi Dragon - going price?

Ya, as others have said, $1000 is not uncommon for a good quality deck. If it has been serviced that could be good. But don't be surprised if you have to have a little more done to it. I know a lot of times Dragons can be finicky and need someone with experience to dial them in. But it sounds...
  5. Alex Hayes

Anyone try those earbuds made with wood housings?

Check out the Thinksound wood IEM's. I haven't heard them but plan on grabbing a pair when money allows. They got a very good review in Stereophile (not sure how much that means) but I'm inclined to think they must be pretty decent at least. You can get a pair for around $100 I think which seems...
  6. Alex Hayes

Dorm System

Thanks guys! We definitely do have fun with the N 64. We usually will get a few people together and play Dr. Mario. It gets pretty intense at times! It's a timeless system I think. I do love my IMF's. I am always keeping an eye out for a good deal on some floor standers!
  7. Alex Hayes

Passed on a Pioneer PL-41?

Ya that seems totally fair for something basically missing what you'll need to put on most old tables anyway. I love the look of it!
  8. Alex Hayes

Dorm System

Thanks guys! I agree about IMF! They really are a treat, someday I'll be hunting down a larger pair. If they sound anything like these they will be nothing short of amazing! I would love to get them off the rack but at the moment that's not much of an option without doing some serious...
  9. Alex Hayes

Dorm System

Hey guys, I am in college and therefore live in a dorm. While it's plenty of space for just me most of the time, I do manage to fill it up quickly with all my fun toys. I have a wire rack that acts as an entertainment center where I put my stereo, TV, speakers, video games and whatever else will...
  10. Alex Hayes

I did something terrible to audio as a kid, have you ever?

When I was little, I thought it would be funny to push one of my Dad's speakers over while he was watching. Apparently I had a little grin on my face and just pushed over the ADS speaker. Luckily, the only damage that was done was denting the metal grill on it. He still uses them today!
  11. Alex Hayes

how to wire a ceiling speaker

Okay, now that you mention having an airport express in each room I understand what you are doing. Thanks for the explanation!
  12. Alex Hayes

how to wire a ceiling speaker

I understand what you're trying to do here, and it's a neat idea, but I suggest slowing down and planning a little more first. Going the cheapest possible route may leave you unsatisfied with the results. Good speaker wire isn't exactly mega cheap. especially if you have to run it in lengths...
  13. Alex Hayes

Looking for Input: "THIS IS NOT AN AD"

I would second the idea of making your stock with the monoprice IEM's. I haven't heard those or the Panasonic's you are currently using but the monoprice ones get pretty solid reviews as well as being extremely affordable. Seems like a good option to me. But I really like the idea you've got...
  14. Alex Hayes

Found a Roberts 778X in my attic today...

Yes, definitely do not throw it away!!!! Even if it isn't a high end model there's no reason to just toss it. There is someone out there that would like it if you don't want it. I would imagine it would be a pretty good deck anyway. I'm pretty sure Roberts=Akai they were just given different...
  15. Alex Hayes

Top 10 holy grail cassette decks?

I would throw a vote out there for the JVC TD-V711. It's a very solid deck. It's built very well and sounds spectacular. It's not one that I see talked about a whole lot but I have heard that they were used in studios. It's got every feature you really need in my opinion and being a newer deck...
  16. Alex Hayes

What is the deal with Record Store Sound?

There's a nice little record store near me that's been around since the 70's with the same owners. I don't know what amplifiers or source they were using but they had a nice smaller pair of IMF's set up with the system. Hard to go wrong with that. Another newer small record store near me had a...
  17. Alex Hayes

living with an affordable vintage receiver for every-day use?

I have not experienced the reliability issues that many mention. That is just a certain amount of luck. It does happen though and one assumes that risk when choosing to go the vintage route. It has never phased me because all the vintage pieces I buy cost very little money. If I spend $10 and...
  18. Alex Hayes

Gems from the past... and the present!

That is a gorgeous deck. For some reason cassettes and cassette decks tickle my fancy almost as much or more than any other component of a system. They are just so diverse and look downright cool. I was born in 1992 so I do have some fond memories of using cassettes as a little kid but I'm not...
  19. Alex Hayes

Trying to make sense of the blu-ray/sacd/dvd-audio world

If more people got involved in blu ray audio I could see it going someplace. Rush re-released Moving Pictures on blu ray audio and i believe it offered a surround playback mode as well as a standard 2 channel mode. I listened to the surround version on a nice system and I can tell you it sounded...
  20. Alex Hayes

So is there any other hardcore IEM people here

Thanks for bringing a little something new to the table. I think you should stick around here at least once in a while to start some threads and participate in some as well. The headphone section isn't the most active but then none of the forums will become active if no one participates in them...
  21. Alex Hayes

B&O BEOGRAM 5000 TT - Keep it or sell it?

I would agree with Beobloke. Since you have the entire system, that seems like an okay amount of money to invest in the turntable to keep it all together. I love the looks of B&O equipment but haven't had the chance to hear any yet.
  22. Alex Hayes

any thoughts on IMF speakers?

Great find! I am also a little bit of an IMF fanboy and I have only really heard the one pair I own which are a two way bookshelf speaker. I can just imagine if the bigger ones sound anywhere near as good as those then they are a real treat to listen to.
  23. Alex Hayes

Really, everyone thinks they should get top dollar?

I think ebay is an okay way to find out about what an item is worth. Look at completed sales and get an idea and then price it in a safe range. What really irks me though, is when I see a print out of an active listing with a buy it now price that is super high or a starting bid that is super...
  24. Alex Hayes

A Question About Capacitors

Great, thanks for the guidance! I think I understand much better now. Next step, ordering the parts and getting to work!
  25. Alex Hayes

A Question About Capacitors

I'm poking around on the sites you guys suggested and I'm seeing tons of options as far as capacitor styles. I came across a site called tube depot that offers orange drop capacitors in many, possibly all, values I need and for what looks to be a good price. Are these suitable for what I'm...
Back
Top Bottom