1. S

Starting a 2245 rebuild, prob w/Aux

I'm starting with fully recapping and replacing some recommended semi's on a 2245. I've noticed that both channels work ok on AM/FM/Phono/Tape but the Right channel is out on Aux. Does Aux input go thru a different board than the others? (Decoder board for example) Can defective caps only...
  2. D

2245 p800 problems

Aloha AK, I was 96% done with a full recap of my 2245 with no problems. Phono board, preamp, and both power boards all done with no shorts on DBT, audio in both channels. I adjusted the idle current and DC offset on both boards just fine. I got to the main power p800 board, recapped it, good on...
  3. runningdog

2245 P400 tone amplifier right channel not working

The right channel of this 2245 P400 tone amplifier is not working. This after both channels were rebuilt with new caps and transistors. Here are some observations. When powered up there is a clean signal for a second or two until the voltages rise past correct levels to these levels. The output...
  4. ocdecio

Marantz 2245 C701/C702

This is the first time I see 2.2uF tantalum at the C701/C702 phono board. I've seen threads about upgrading them from 0.47uF to 1uF I wonder if I go from 2.2uF to 1.uF that would be considered a downgrade?
  5. moodyj2000

New (Old) 2245

Just got a 2245 off of eBay. It appears all original. All lights work and look beautiful. Little rusting on screws but not on internals or metal cover. Everything functions with not static during turning. Sounds great with my very tired and needing to be replaced turntable. Question, is there...
  6. moodyj2000

Marantz 2245 Value

So in looking at picking up a Marantz for a good phono stage I have settled on a 2245 based upon all I have read and recommendations. Problem is the cost. The days of finding one for $100 are gone and I don't live in a region of a country where thrift stores and yard sales are full of vintage...
  7. jFF_Bulbo

Help with marantz 2245

hello AK'ers. I´m working on 2245. on P750 power amps, i recapped both boards. DBT pass ok on both unit i´ve changed all electrolitic caps. BIAS is imposible to set properly on both channels. h756/h757 are extremely hot on both. When i blow on to the board, bias downs for a while, after few...
  8. Mahan Safaei

Marantz 2245 VS. Kenwood KR7400

Hello, I'm new to the vintage Hifi world and have the opportunity to pick up the units noted above. The Marantz for $450 and the Kenwood for $350. They're both in working condition but show their age. Neither unit has been restored or even cleaned. Which is the better choice. Please see the...
  9. RussTShackle

Restoration Experts in Dallas/Ft. Worth?

I'm looking to have a 2245 refurbed, and would prefer not to pay enormous costs for shipping. Can anyone recommend a Dallas/Ft. Worth area expert? Would prefer if it could be validated by someone who has used them, but I'll take what I can get.
  10. L

Replaced 2245 Marantz Power Switch - Now No Sound On Right Side

I replaced the power switch and it all turns on and works, except the right side speakers (main and remote) it isn't the speaker cuz I tested the speaker on the left side and it works. Both channels worked before replacing the power switch. Any ideas? Are they related? Fixes? Thanks!
  11. runningdog

2245 P200 FM IF board - do any units have electrolytic capacitors?

Have you ever seen electrolytic capacitors on the 2245 P200 IF board? Or are all 2245's sans electrolytic caps? A quick check of the 2245's here shows not a single electrolytic. I have it in my head that some do, some don't. This could just be a hippie dream. Please let me know if you have...
  12. G

Marantz 2245 Recapping Thoughts.

Hey everyone. I just picked up a Marantz 2245 from a local vintage stereo equipment shop. He told me that he serviced it and fully tested, but after hooking it up the right channel has a very quiet hum on all inputs (I switched speakers and isolated it to the right channel) and on phono playback...
  13. Mike Sweeney

My 2245 is Finished

Finally got her done this weekend :) Its been a road.. all new final transistors, rebuilt both amplifier boards ( saving the new PWBs for a complete to bare metal build in the future), all new caps, relay, partial new wiring, new pots etc..etc..etc. And boy she sounds good. I think she will...
  14. Mike Sweeney

Why recapping the AM and FM radios matters

So on my 2245 that I'm getting very close to finishing now :D I got to the new LEDs ( Thanks Randy) and the front panel. I also got the AM/FM recapped and still need to cap the muting circuit. But, before the FM was washed out, weak and not very sensitive. The Stereo would light but not where...
  15. grey_beard

2245 One Channel Low and Distorted

I've got a 2245 opened up and it needs some work. The first thing I want to get figured is a bad channel. I have signal generator and oscope but I'm not very familiar with the schematic so I thought I would reach out for some help tracking down the issue. I've deoxited the pots and switches...
  16. Mike Sweeney

2245 Pre Amp P700 board

Every board in this unit has been a challenge at some level :) I think the Karma gods are making up for the last one which was a cake walk. This has blown caps, lift traces, odd transistors with no marks swapped in and then I just found a resistor buried behind on the big ugly caps broken in...
  17. Mike Sweeney

2245 P400 tone board

I have to say, even after new caps, the sound was a bit "scratchy" like the pots needed cleaning with random pops etc. I replaced the transistors and WHAMO.. clean sound :) I guess it was worth two nights of matching 100 transistors :D They were so cheap at 100, I couldn't pass it up. This...
  18. Mike Sweeney

It LIVES.. sorta ;) The 2245 is out of ICU

Well, the left channel seems to be alive :) No magic smoke, It didn't blow the fuse and I have about 12 mVs across the speaker terminal before any adjustments. At least now it comes out of protection and the relay engages. Very faint sound if I crank it up all the way so I'm assuming the...
  19. Mike Sweeney

2245 etc bias transistor upgrade

Here is the final outcome of my own version of the round to TO transformation. All I did was reverse the bend for the diode, get a longer screw and put the new transistor on some lead extensions. And yes, there is a mica insulator between the heatsink and the body of the transistor with a dab...
  20. Mike Sweeney

Bias transistor revisited

I read with interest this thread - http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/solution-for-2270-high-bias-early-serial-number.770102/page-2#post-10572328 And I liked it well enough to go back to my two boards and redo the two transistors I had just soldered in last night :) But I made a...
  21. Mike Sweeney

Group Wisdom for carbon resistors

So the amp boards in the 2245 I'm working on have several carbon composite resistors and many carbon films. On my donor board just to see, I measured all of the composite carbon resistors and none are "out" of spec but a few are very close to being out of spec ( 5%) What is the group consensus...
  22. Mike Sweeney

New bench project, 2245

Here I go again.. another Marantz but since I just cleared three Kenwoods off the bench, it's time again :) This one has had someone in it who was a bit of a hack. Transistors are not OEM.. a few caps replaced and not well, speaker relay replaced at one time etc.. Plus the normal burned out...
  23. Mike Sweeney

New project 2245

Just arrived. You can see some of Bob's packing job. The best packing for these heavy beasts I've seen. It's in the queue so it will be a few weeks before I can get to it. It appears to be mostly untouched. But I see pink slime on one transistor and I dont think the caseless relay is OEM...
  24. Jeremy64

My current setup - complete newbie

Marantz 2245 receiver Marantz 5020 cassette deck SAE 2500 amp Teac 4010 GSL reel to reel Technics SL-1700 Just added Pilot 254 receiver Speaker sets Ohm F’s (currently being restored) Ohm 3xO Jensen Model 4 Btw all of the above were found on Craigslist or garage sales and I learned to love Deoxit
  25. Jeremy64

Marantz 2245 and Ohm speakers

Can you run a Marantz 2245 receiver and Ohm F’s? Not sure it has the power
Back
Top Bottom