epi 100

1. DaveStra

Speakers with ST-70, Pat-5

I am wondering which of the two sets of speakers that I currently own would sound best with an original, unmodified Dynakit ST-70 amp and a Pat-5 preamp - EPI 100's or Jensen Model 4's? I know that my ears will be the final judge but I would like to find out what others have found in their...
  2. econeditor

Did adding a speaker selector screw up my system?

I've got two pairs of speakers: a pair of Original Large Advents, and a pair of EPI T/E 100s. I picked up an Adcom GFS-3 speaker selector so that I can A/B between the two, and hooked it up this evening. I'm using a NAD 3020b as a pre-amp and an Exposure 2010s power amplifier. Originally, each...
  3. A

Are these EPI M100s worth restoring?

Long story short I was sold these speakers as having been refoamed and the tweeter replaced only to find upon arrival they had napkins stuffed in the surrounds and was missing a tweeter. I was given a refund but now I have these speakers which don’t work. I have zero experience repairing...
  4. efrance45

Help identifying and restoring Epicure speakers

Hi all! Yesterday an old record store near me had a $1 sale to get rid of old speakers and stereo equipment, and I found a pair of old Epicure speakers that seemed promising enough to restore. Right now I haven't tested any parts for functionality due to being busy with college classes, but I'd...
  5. DaveStra

EPI 100 restoration project

Hello Everyone. I am beginning my winter project of restoring a pair of EPI 100 speakers that I bought at Goodwill this summer. I have never done any speaker work before so I will be coming to the many experts here for advice throughout my project. I have some pictures below showing what the...
  6. TechFall

EPI 100V Ferrofluid Tweeters

Long time lurker, first time poster. I grabbed a set of EPI 100Vs for a steal of 25$. The grills are darn near perfect (one is missing the EPI wave logo). The veneer is in great condition, save for some sliding scratches on the bottom. I pulled the covers and the woofers foam surrounds...
  7. T

Rebuild EPI 100 parts to new speaker with EPI 150 dimensions?

I have a stock EPI 100V and a EPI 100 dimensioned speaker box with red-ringed tweeter and original 8" woofer. I also have another tweeter and 8" woofer. In building the EPI 100 copy, I made a few cosmetic mistakes. I would like to try to build a nicer looking pair of speakers. I would like to...
  8. buckeye56

Speaker Rattle

My EPI 100 speakers, which I've had since '81 or '82, produce a rattling sound (mostly when bass is coming through) regardless if I'm listening to the radio, playing CDs or vinyl. They are located on top of bookshelves and the bass dial is actually set to around 2-1/2. Any ideas on easy fixes...
  9. Isaac C.

Epicure 100V Vinyl Veneer Bubbling, is it fixable?

Hello everyone, I just acquired a pair of Epicure 100Vs that could use a good refoam. However, thats not why I am posting. The cabinets are very sticky and the vinyl veneer appears to be bubbling very badly. Im wondering if there is an economical way to fix them or reveneer them. Or are the...
  10. A

EPI 100 woofer issue

I am relatively new to the whole vintage audio gear thing. Been perusing threads here for a year with much benefit and this is my first post! Anyway, here is my issue: A month ago, I found an EPI 90 single speaker at the local thrift for $3. I bought it, for no good reason, and replaced the...
  11. Muel_pete

In praise of my Yamaha CR 1020

This is my first post, I am happy to finally be joining the community. Wow, man, I just had one of those world shifting hifi moments. I have recently picked up a Yamaha CR 1020, Pioneer SX D7000, and pair of EPI M100 speakers. I decided to take the plunge and pick up some end game gear so that...
  12. tmsears

Advice needed: EPI 100 restoration gone sideways

A few years back I had purchased two pairs of EPI M100 speakers in walnut veneer that were a part of an old quad setup on CL. The cabinets were in good shape but the all the woofers except one had their rubber surrounds turn into plastic for a lack of a better description. I purchased new foam...
  13. E

Greetings from the Motor City

Hi, everybody. I'm Mike, and I'm in search of a setup that makes music the way I remember hearing it in my 20s. Like a lot of people, I got into audio through hand-me-downs left behind by older siblings who outgrew little portable kid turntables going from grade school to high school and then...
  14. E

Any Opinions on KLH 17s compared to vintage EPI m100s?

Much to my wife's chagrin, I have accumulated a set of both KLH 17s [can be seen here http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/more-odd-klh-17s-wierd-factory-cab-finish.776940/#post-10659112] and the first version of EPI 100s. I got them both basically for free over the last year. Last...
  15. Bob Sawyer

Hello from PA

Hello all, 60 year old newby here from PA. I've stumbled upon a few decent purchases lately and it has me reliving my childhood. I grew up in the 60's and 70's listening to my friends Marantz and swore I would have one someday. I finally realized that dream last week with a 2220B. Not top of...
  16. quantaloop

Kenwood KA-701 upgrade

Recently, I was listening to Cohen's last album using my TT at a fairly high volume (Kenny KA-701 volume knob was almost set at noon position), on a EPI 100 stack (2 pairs) . Amp started to clip on and off quickly. Turned down the volume and everything was fine. Still, quite annoying and now I...
  17. quantaloop

EPI 100 stack

I successfully restored a pair of near mint condition EPI M100 (the first version with the masonite tweeter). I've installed Daytons 10uf 250V polypropylene caps and refoamed them. They sound GREAT. I've just tried them and I'm thrilled. I already had a pair of EPI A100 (the early 80s version...
  18. erikd

Concept 2.5 vs 4.5

Hi AK, I'm new to the wonderful world of vintage audio, having recently picked up my first receiver. It's a Concept 2.5, paired with a set of EPI 100 and a set of ADC 303A speakers. I really like how it sounds. Still I'm curious what other setups would sound like. Someone nearby is selling...
  19. R

EPI 100 or Dynaco 25?

Recommendations on EPI 100 speakers or Dynaco 25 speakers to go with Yamaha CR-620 receiver or other models of speakers that might pair well.
  20. N

Salvageable?

My EPI's need refoaming. However, when opened the speaker grate, I discovered this. I removed the drivers to photograph them.
  21. Moth R. Superior

Epi 100's or KLH Model 6

Greeting's, Noob here, also, my first post. I'm coming to you for advise, opinion, etc. I'm purchasing another set of speakers this week and I've narrowed it down a choice between a set of Epi 100's or, for a very similar price, KLH Model 6's. I have done a lot of reading about both of these...
Back
Top Bottom