fisher 400

1. richiem46

More Fisher 400 FM Alignment Questions

I purchased and restored a Fisher 400 a while back. It won’t win any beauty contests but it plays beautifully. The FM section played well but despite folks recommending caution I decided to try my hand at FM alignment. I have read a lot of the posts on the subject but not all of them. The 400...
  2. moodyj2000

Fisher 400 Wood Cabinet

I would use search but it is down for now. Anybody have a source for new production wood cabinets that fit a Fisher 400? I have the capability to build my own but my current list of projects and completion times outlast the average human's life expectancy.
  3. S

Fisher 400 both channels distortion

My Fisher 400 seemed to hit some trouble today. I went to listen to dizzy gillespie for xmas eve and what I heard didn't sound like the dizzy I know. The music is there but choppy and distorted almost like poorly received FM stations crossing bands. This is happening on both FM and Aux, I...
  4. T

Brimar CV4035 and Fisher 400

Hi. I am having difficulty finding Brimar CV4035 tubes that work well with my Fisher 400 (late series), specifically the phono stage. I have purchased 4 NOS tubes, a set of two each from two different reputable tube dealers. Out of the 4 tubes only one does not produce a hum in the phone...
  5. healyc139

Fisher 400 - No Sound after mishap

Hey everybody, So I just did some routine cleaning of my Fisher 400, which included pulling each tube one at a time and dusting them off. Upon reinstalling one of the power tubes; one of the pins got bent so it was not inserted.. and I had not noticed, so I hooked the receiver back up and...
  6. JTW3303

Fisher 400 Help

Just picked up a fisher 400....super excited to get into Tube equipment. No story short, after reading a couple post here, thought I could figure out which faceplate I have, I guessed wrong and wiped some of the lettering off. By chance is there a place where the faceplate lettering is...
  7. S

DIY FM antenna to tuner connection question

I built a folded dipole out of copper pipe awhile back using an online calculator and design. from the antenna I have a radioshack 75ohm to 300ohm balun, going into a roughly 30' run of RG6. At the receiver end my receiver Fisher 400 only has the old 300ohm screw terminals with local or distant...
  8. klamsoss

My Fisher 400 restoration and modification project

I picked up this Model 400 locally last summer with the intention of restoring it for use in our living room. I love my other Fisher gear, and my fiancee likes the glow from these big Fisher receivers. I won't say no if she endorses any audio purchase! Other projects have kept me busy, but I...
  9. pauljb

How do you remove a Fisher 400 tuning knob?

I have a Fisher 400 that has replacement tuning knob on the front for the radio tuner section that doesn't match the rest of the brass topped knobs. It's much larger. I was wanting to replace the tuning knob with one that looks original and more inline with the original style knobs. My...
  10. Will2225

Buying advice needed on Phase Linear 400 and Fisher 400c

Hi I've found locally a phase linear 400 that has been serviced for 350 and a Fisher 400c for 450 with wood case that is working except for the FM radio. Is the phase linear worth 350 considering its been worked on and is up to spec? Also, I the buyer won't allow me to test the 400c because of...
  11. kappclark

Late model Fisher 400 schematic needed

HI - I have discovered that the schematic I have is for early model Fisher 400's, and the part listings are not the same ...( for example C62 - C65 appear now to be C93 - C96 ).. My SN is 70477 X I have searched around to no avail -- many thanks,
  12. kappclark

Fisher 400 Aux overload point

I read that the Aux input of the Fisher 400 is rated at 280 mV for rated output. Does anyone know the overload point ? I ask because the Squeezebox receiver I have connected to the Aux port is rated at 1.7V line out --- I have been hearing no bad sound at full output from the squeezebox to the...
  13. kappclark

Fisher 400 Re-Stringing adventure

I am planning to install the missind dial cord on the 400 - I have the spring, and the service manual is pretty clear about how it is done. The instr say to glue the dial pointer to the string - any suggestions for what glue? Looks like string goes across the top .. put glue all along center...
  14. kappclark

PSB Amazing Alpha - impedence ?

I am driving a pair of PSB Alphas from the 90's ("Amazing Alpha") with a Fisher 400 tube receiver...sounds good so far... I am using the 8 ohm tap. I am assuming they are 8 ohms, but cannot verify this -- before contacting PSB, I thought I would ask here... (the sound, btw, is very good -- I...
  15. kappclark

Fisher 400 and the magic eraser

I thought I would share a pic showing fabulous results with Magic eraser on the faceplate -- several threads seemed to rave about the results, and I too am pretty stoked ... How do you remove the knobs ? I don't want to break anything ... on very tight ...was thinking of using a spoon with tape...
  16. kappclark

Fisher 400 - phono works!

News flash from the Fisher 400 resurrection - the turntable is singing ! -- question - does it damage the unit to run it with the dbt ? (using a 250w bulb) ...Maybe I should take the training wheels off !
  17. kappclark

Fisher 400 Cabinet restore

I really have to say I am pleased with how the cabinet turned out the oil really does a nice job ... As recommended, I used Watco Danish Oil (2 coats) ... I don't plan on a third ...
  18. kappclark

Can Naval Jelly cure this rust ?

I may have met my match here -- was wondering if Naval Jelly could tackle this rust on the fisher 400 chassis .. given repeated applications)...is Naval Jelly safe for cad-plated chassis ?
  19. C

Fisher 400 with LS3/5a or KEF LS50 or ATC SCM11 V2 ?

Merry Christmas to all first ! After swapping and testing numerous integrated tube amps (the list is long...), I finally settled for a beautiful Fisher 400. The question is now, which speakers??? LS3/5a, JR149, KEF LS50 and ATC SCM11s are receiving rave reviews but these like to be paired with...
  20. Chetspencer

V16 Output Tube tries to runaway on startup (sometimes)

Greetings fellow Fisher enthusiast, I own a late model Fisher 400 that's been in my family since it was new. I've been enjoying it off and on for my entire life. I've mostly completed refreshing my 400 with the FisherDoc's Resto-Pak kit and a quad of EH 7868's. It's never been touched before...
  21. Chetspencer

Greetings from the SF Bay Area

Really enjoying the amazing amount of knowledge on the forums. I just recapped my Fisher 400 and bringing it back to like new little by little.
  22. P

Fisher 400 Right channel out

I have a Fisher 400 amp that has a non working right channel. It DOES work though the headphone jack though. Any tips on where to start in my troubleshooting? What are the troubleshooting implications of having both channels in headphone but not speaker? The full story: Got it in working...
  23. Jeremy64

The Fisher 400

1965 The Fisher 400.....restored. New to the collection......now to find a great speaker match
  24. OldSubSailor

Picked up a Fisher 400 - need a source for one part

A couple years ago I got into my first vintage Fisher restoration project (an 800 TA) and after recapping & modifications (eg. output tubes bias adjustment, compensating for the shift in the volume control, etc.) I love the sound. So, when I had a chance last weekend to pick up a 400 (later...
  25. C

New to the site

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Chris and am a long time record collector and music lover. I have in my dining room a Fisher 400 tube amp paired with some old Knight floor speakers. I am running a Marantz 4400 in my music room paired with...
Back
Top Bottom