pioneer sx-980

1. C

SX-980 Restoration

I purchased an SX-980 online recently that needed some work. On first blush it was missing 4 of the toggle switch knobs, one of the lights was out, the phono indicator light was out, the power cord was frayed, and the sound in the left channel was weak. Cosmetically it is fair with the face...
  2. M

Thiel 3.5 and Pioneer SX-980

Hello! I am new to the AK community, and was hoping I could get some insight regarding a speaker/amplifier pairing. I just purchased a beautiful Thiel CS3.5 pair, and I currently own a Pioneer SX-980. 1) Can I reasonably power the 3.5’s with the Pioneer SX-980? 2) I’ve read that Thiel...
  3. Brivan

Pioneer SX-980 with Erratic DC Offset

I've have a Pioneer SX-980 with erratic DC offset on both channels. I'm able to adjust it so it "centers" around 0v, but it will vary maybe 300mV in either direction. It seems to calm down a little after warm-up, but is still very unstable and might vary as much as 50mV in either direction...
  4. Brivan

Pioneer SX-980 Output Transistor Replacement

I recently acquired a Pioneer SX-980 that had a blown main fuse. It turned out the reason for this was two partially-shorted output transistors. One each of the 2SB706 and 2SD746 transistors were bad. I no longer recall where these were physically mounted, but I believe they were both on the...
  5. daveyh

Pioneer SX-980 very low buzz through both speakers - Fixed!

I have a Pioneer SX-980 stereo receiver that has a very low buzz through both speakers and it is coming from the receiver not the speakers. Even if the volume is turned all the way down it is still there. I have rebuilt the power supply and protection board but it is still there. I have even...
  6. Brivan

Pioneer SX 980 with Uneven +65 & -65 Power Supply

Hi, folks Well, I thought I had serviced enough of these things that I wouldn't get stuck on one, but here I am. I have a Pioneer SX-980 that originally was exhibiting symptoms of 13vdc supply problems - protection relay not engaging, weak function indicator lights. I found the supply voltage...
  7. F

Looking for recommended shops for Pioneer SX-980 repair/restoration...in FL panhandle.

I bought an unrestored SX-980 this past week and it sounds beautiful...when it works. From my quick research, it sounds like the protection circuit. At any rate, I am not interested in getting myself buried in a restoration, especially since I am an electronics novice. I am just super excited to...
  8. Brivan

Pioneer SX-980 Protection Relay Kicking Out

Hi, folks I've read a number of threads dealing with the protection relay not engaging in a Pioneer SX-980 receiver, but nothing regarding the relay dropping out right after turning on. I assume I've got amplifier issues, but not sure where to logically start. Using the service manual, I did...
  9. Ricktptman

SX-980 Tuner issues after having fixed a PS issue. It's a long story...

Hi everybody, This receiver was probably the second or third SX-x(x)80 vintage receiver I bought and restored. It developed a Power Supply issue at some point (This was in 2003 or thereabouts and UPS seemed to live to destroy vintage receivers, this was one of them) so I put it in my "someday"...
  10. gregmcm

SX-980 Protection Circuit Issue

Have read a lot of threads and the protection relay kicking in seems to be a common and sometime mysterious problem on a number of Pioneer units. Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to mine (see below) and if so were they able to identify the source of the issue. Here is my story...
Back
Top Bottom