sa-8800

1. Bob123456

Pioneer SA-8800 - high voltage readings

Hello, newbie here hoping for some advice. I was recently given an SA-8800 in not-great-condition to refurb and sell on behalf of an elderly relative. I've got a little experience with electrical repairs and I guess I've had some luck in the past, but I have limited equipment (and space) to work...
  2. MAG_1944

SA-8800 Hum problem

Hi Everyone I've recently begun to use a pair of headphones with my amp for late night listening, I've noticed a low level hum which doesn't seem to change with volume. Checks I've done so far, checking between all 4 inputs, no change. Toggling loudness, muting, tone, high and low filters, no...
  3. alexhastings

SA-8800 protection mode help

Hi! I'm trying to get my SA-8800 working - it's stuck in protection mode and I'm at a loss. I've replaced all the components on the GWH-128 board that are marked with a /!\ on the schematic (been meaning to do that amnyways - when this amp was working it had issues with the L channel cutting...
  4. QSilver

SA-8800 Phono stage problems

When I connect the SA-8800 up to my turntable it plays just fine, until you want to crank up the volume. If the volume gets past the 1W mark, sometimes the 10W mark, I suddenly get a massive resonant hum. I haven't checked but it sounds like it would be around the 100-200Hz area. Reducing the...
  5. EvanF

Pioneer SA-8800 with 60hz hum on the power amp section

Buzz on power amp out and pre in, jumpered together (made sure the pre and amp grounds are well connected)and the buzz is bad. Power amp buzz is the main issue, preamp buzz isn't that big. Recapped everything on the power supply and power amplifier board with Panasonics (B+ filters are Kemet...
  6. EvanF

SA-8800 60hz buzz

Buzz on power amp out and pre in, jumpered together (made sure the pre and amp grounds are well connected)and the buzz is bad. Power amp buzz is the main issue, preamp buzz isn't that big. Recapped everything on the power supply and power amplifier board with Panasonics (B+ filters are Kemet...
  7. QSilver

SA-8800 Oscillation?

Went to switch it on today and it took longer than usual to come out of protection. Then I heard a slight crackling noise from inside the amp. Turned it off, and smoke came out from the front right corner of the amp. Damn. So I took it to the bench. R80 had burned up. I changed it and replaced...
  8. whitecastle

SA-8800 Recap & Power Questions

Hey folks. Just had a couple questions before I consider a recap of my SA-8800. I was looking over the recap list for this amp here. I noticed it does not list replacements for the 4 x 12k 63V Caps mounted on the PA assembly (AWR-182). In p18 of the service manual, these are shown below the...
  9. QSilver

SA-8800 no right channel on power up.

I've been going through doing a recap of this beast which has gone well - as well as replacing a number of resistors that were looking past their best... Before the re-cap and after, I have noticed that on first powering the amp on, the left channel works fine but the right channel isn't there...
  10. QSilver

SA-8800 Capacitor drain

I'm working on one of these at the moment - giving it a recap and changing some of the resistors that looked a little stressed. I discovered yesterday while working on it (having left it switched off and unplugged on the bench for two days) that the negative main reserve caps still had -45VDC in...
  11. QSilver

Pioneer SA-8800. Keeping the display going.

I managed to pick one of these up this week. Cannot believe my luck! After a good clean its gone from dull and tired to an almost mirror shine with an amazing sound too! :music: I'm thinking of going through and giving it a recap, as well as replacing a lot of the important resistors that are...
  12. Gary D Olson

SA-8800 Refurb Starting In 3, 2...

Greetings Pioneer lovers. My main amplification in rotation these days comes via Luxman R-117, Yamaha C70/M70, Marantz 2330B, and a Pioneer SX-1250 on indefinite loan from a client. Several months back, I purchased an SA-8800 off ebay without its top cover for $200. After a thorough controls...
  13. K

Pioneer SA-8800

Hi there I'm trying to find a metal top cover for my SA-8800. Does the SA-8800 share the same cover with other models? Thanks Thomas
Back
Top Bottom