Any Denon PMA-900V Owners? I just picked one up...

js bach

...and it sounds pretty damn good. I can't imagine what these sounded like right out of the box! Compared with my DRA-1035r, the 900v seems to have a more musical sound--if that makes any sense? It's not as analytical sounding as the 1035.

Any other 900v owners out there? Since everything is "chemistry" with audio gear, what CD players are you guys using with the 900v? I have a "vintage" NAD 5300 on the way. Hopefully it will be a good match. I need something to compliment the 900v's sound. Budget is $200 or less.

As for speakers, I'm running my Mirage M-3si speakers with it and the 900 doesn't even break a sweat. The one I got came with the original wood panels and everything is in great shape.

I downloaded a copy of the service manual and was thinking of taking it to my local repair shop to have them give it a cleaning (internally) as well as checking everything out (adjustments, etc.) to make sure it's up to speed. Are there tests they can perform to see if anything is not working 100%?

Has anyone performs a restoration?

Congrats on picking up a great amp. If you have a VOM you can check DC offset. There's a sticky on it at the top of this section. You should do this check on any older amp you get before hooking up to speakers. I was never a fan of the series NAD player, they sounded grainy to me. I use Denon DVD players, I picked up a DVD-900 about 4 years ago for next to nothing at a garage sale. The thing sounds good and has given me zero problems so far. I also picked up a DVD-2500 last year on the bay for $30 it sounds great too. I'll probably buy a DVD-2910 here shortly, I want to get into SACD.

...and it sounds pretty damn good. I can't imagine what these sounded like right out of the box! Compared with my DRA-1035r, the 900v seems to have a more musical sound--if that makes any sense? It's not as analytical sounding as the 1035.

Any other 900v owners out there? Since everything is "chemistry" with audio gear, what CD players are you guys using with the 900v? I have a "vintage" NAD 5300 on the way. Hopefully it will be a good match. I need something to compliment the 900v's sound. Budget is $200 or less.

As for speakers, I'm running my Mirage M-3si speakers with it and the 900 doesn't even break a sweat. The one I got came with the original wood panels and everything is in great shape.

I downloaded a copy of the service manual and was thinking of taking it to my local repair shop to have them give it a cleaning (internally) as well as checking everything out (adjustments, etc.) to make sure it's up to speed. Are there tests they can perform to see if anything is not working 100%?

Has anyone performs a restoration?

I have. Mine was a paperweight for the past 15 years. About 20 resistors, 4 diodes, and 20 transistors later, it worked. Recapped it for good measure.

However, yours appears to be working fine. I'd just enjoy it.

But if you want to chase the dragon, I spent about 100 bucks on caps + my time. Sounds functional! I can't A>B with the original, but it sounds clean and accurate with not-brickwalled content. Drives inefficient speakers well too.

PMA-900v owner here. Yes...this is a VERY good amp. It's at the top of my heap as far as sound qualities. Just to think; I had it on Epay for nearly 3 weeks at a very reasonable price and no one took the bait.

I put it back in the system and thought, "What the h*ll was I thinking!?" It doesn't get as much press or doesn't have the 'mystique' of some of the other usual suspect on this board. It's pushing a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's. Not the most earth shattering combo, but nothing has brought out the details that this amp has with these speakers.

One thing for sure, this amp is NEVER gonna leave this house...unless I move.

Yes, recap it. I did find a few bulged caps in my unit. No sonic improvements when after recap, but I have peace of mind for reliability. I also had a bad transistor in the left channel (got it cheap because of the non-working channel).

I have a Denon DCM-340 CD player that I scored about 6 years ago that I use with mine. It doesn't get much use tho'.

Oh yeah...I have the rosewood side panels too :)

PMA-900v owner here. Yes...this is a VERY good amp. It's at the top of my heap as far as sound qualities. Just to think; I had it on Epay for nearly 3 weeks at a very reasonable price and no one took the bait.

I put it back in the system and thought, "What the h*ll was I thinking!?" It doesn't get as much press or doesn't have the 'mystique' of some of the other usual suspect on this board. It's pushing a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's. Not the most earth shattering combo, but nothing has brought out the details that this amp has with these speakers.

One thing for sure, this amp is NEVER gonna leave this house...unless I move.

Yes, recap it. I did find a few bulged caps in my unit. No sonic improvements when after recap, but I have peace of mind for reliability. I also had a bad transistor in the left channel (got it cheap because of the non-working channel).

I have a Denon DCM-340 CD player that I scored about 6 years ago that I use with mine. It doesn't get much use tho'.

Oh yeah...I have the rosewood side panels too :)

I opened my 900v last night to give it a gander. Very nice and clean! I downloaded a copy of the service manual and checked/adjusted the DC offset (idling current) and everything sounds great. The caps appear to be in good shape right now (no buldging, etc...) so I will prob run it for a while now before taking it to my regular service center for a REAL diagnostic and possible refurb. I do need to replace some of the speaker terminals as one is broken off from an unfortunate accident with another peice of gear hitting it. It appears as though 5-way binding posts can be installed rather easily. Have you heard any other older (80's) PMA's? I've heard the Denon 70's/80's stuff really sounded good. I have a DRA-1035R I just sold because the 900V killed it in sound quality. The 1035 sounded good, just not the same as the 900.

Congrats to your 900. I had a Denon PMA-777 that I sold (stupid me) and now I have a PMA-757, the little brother. I use it with a DCD-1500 and it sounds quite amazing to me. Those Denon PMA's deliver great sound right out of the box.

Congrats to your 900. I had a Denon PMA-777 that I sold (stupid me) and now I have a PMA-757, the little brother. I use it with a DCD-1500 and it sounds quite amazing to me. Those Denon PMA's deliver great sound right out of the box.

I've read great things about the PMA-757. I've thought about getting a 757 myself. I wonder how that generation (777/757) compares with the 900/700/500 series? Check out this review of a 757 on Audiogon:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?ramps&1300031102&&&/Denon-PMA-757-Amplifier-

BTW... Anyone know where I can get replacement speaker terminals for a 900v? Or, replace them with more up-to-date binding posts? I'm not looking to replace for the heck of it. A few of the posts on channel-A are busted off and I need to fix it.

I have the smaller PMA-737. I'm pursuing both PMA-777 and the PMA-757. Great integrated amps!

Scans of the original German brochure for all that series:
http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/Denon/PMA-777/

Great, thanks for the brochure. I had this one as well and I gave it away with the PMA-777. I used the 777 with a pair of Quadral Montan. That was a perfect match !

I'm trying to find a 777 but they usually sell for outrageous amounts of money.

How about the 700v ? Does anybody have experience with this one ?

I had a 500V and really liked it, sounded a lot bigger than it's 80 watt rating. I'm sure the 700V would be well worth picking up

If life was perfect, Denon would have made this puppy bridgeable. I'd pay an arm and a leg for two bridged 900's :) Just a thought.

Great, thanks for the brochure. I had this one as well and I gave it away with the PMA-777. I used the 777 with a pair of Quadral Montan. That was a perfect match !

I'm trying to find a 777 but they usually sell for outrageous amounts of money.

The 777 was their flagship in 1983/84. Retail price was $620 then, which adjusted for inflation would be ~ $1400 today.

The PMA-900V was $700 street price in 1986.

Back
Top Bottom