¿Stereo light, with all stereo signal?

Trajano

Hi! Well, i don´t know if this makes any sense, but i wanted to ask. Ater changing to led all the lights of my 2215bl (thanks again whsh93a, for preparing and delievering them), i was thinking why the stereo light only works with the radio signal, and if it would be possible to make it work also with other signals.

What do you think? Too bizarre or it might work? All insight is welcome.

Best regards.

The stereo light comes on when the FM section detects a 19kHz pilot tone added to the audio of a broadcast, specifically to tell receivers that the broadcast is stereo, and give the receiver a phase reference for decoding the stereo.

Reliably and accurately determining whether an arbitrary analogue pair of audio signals is really stereo would require some complex digital signal processing. The simplest way might be to just derive a difference signal using a single op-amp, but it's not very reliable, since any change in the L/R balance of a dual-mono signal would be seen as stereo.

That answers my question. I just thought that since it sits there unused, might have been nice to have it working.

Hi! Well, i don´t know if this makes any sense, but i wanted to ask. Ater changing to led all the lights of my 2215bl (thanks again whsh93a, for preparing and delievering them), i was thinking why the stereo light only works with the radio signal, and if it would be possible to make it work also with other signals.

What do you think? Too bizarre or it might work? All insight is welcome.

Best regards.

I have a 2240, 2250, and 2275 and the stereo light works on all of these in phono, aux, and tape 1 and 2 as well as FM. Is this what you are talking about?

The OP's 2215BL is the European Longwave version, and the Stereo light might only work in FM, unlike our N.American models.

The OP's 2215BL is the European Longwave version, and the Stereo light might only work in FM, unlike our N.American models.

That might be an explanation. But shouldn´t it work the same, regardless of the LW? Or maybe it´s this one that has something wrong.

I've never seen an 'L' model, I was just speculating. I have noticed rather large variations in Euro models from other manufacturers, though, and was extrapolating to this case.

My experience has been that the Stereo light goes off in any mode other than FM Stereo. Usually the manufacturer switches the power supply to the FM sections of the tuner off in any mode other than FM, to prevent any bleedthru of sound.

The only times the "stereo" indicator wont light is with mono button pressed and without FM pilot stereo signal.
Marantz receivers spoken here......others may differ.

You replaced the dial lamps, but the function lamps (Stereo, Aux...) are bi pin lamps that are soldered in. I've had to replace the stereo lamp on several Marantz receivers. Don't know if this is the case on your model, but it's a place to look. As The Judge said, if your receiver has a mono switch, make sure it is not pushed in.

If you look at the schematic, you can see the stereo beacon is wired straight out of the MPX decoder chip, through the selector switch. It is ONLY connected in one position of the selector switch (FM stereo). You could bypass that switch to ground (it's an active low signal) to make the stereo light come on in other modes just for the pretty effect, but it won't actually be indicating the stereo-ness of the sound.

You replaced the dial lamps, but the function lamps (Stereo, Aux...) are bi pin lamps that are soldered in. I've had to replace the stereo lamp on several Marantz receivers. Don't know if this is the case on your model, but it's a place to look. As The Judge said, if your receiver has a mono switch, make sure it is not pushed in.

All lamps have been replaced, dial and function. And all work ok. It only lights up with fm stereo.

If you look at the schematic, you can see the stereo beacon is wired straight out of the MPX decoder chip, through the selector switch. It is ONLY connected in one position of the selector switch (FM stereo). You could bypass that switch to ground (it's an active low signal) to make the stereo light come on in other modes just for the pretty effect, but it won't actually be indicating the stereo-ness of the sound.

It would be only for the "pretty effect". I think it looks nice, and isn´t obtrusive.

Think about it, the sound will be in STEREO in all other positions but radio mode unless MONO button is pressed?
If the STEREO indicator lights makes sure the MONO button is not pressed.
Not all receivers have this feature, f.e. HK930, but both my 2230´s and my 2015 does.

Think about it, the sound will be in STEREO in all other positions but radio mode unless MONO button is pressed?
If the STEREO indicator lights makes sure the MONO button is not pressed.
Not all receivers have this feature, f.e. HK930, but both my 2230´s and my 2015 does.

The 2215bl doesn´t have mono button. :nono:

Back
Top Bottom