‘A Skin Too Few’: A lovely film about Nick Drake for your viewing pleasure

spartanmanor

Lunatic Member
http://www.viddler.com/v/ddc7dbb4

Nick Drake died in 1974 at 26. But his brief life had a lasting and profound impact. It took a television commercial for VW to rescue his music from cultdom and introduce it to an international audience.

In A Skin Too Few: The Days of Nick Drake, a haunting tribute to Drake and his music, his sister Gabrielle takes us through the Drake family history as director Jeroen Berkven’s camera meditates on the almost mystical landscapes of the English village of Tanworht-in-Arden where Drake was born and lived.

If you are not familiar with his music or the Ad here it is: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x35sbr_vw-ad-nick-drake-pink-moon_music#.UR1WBmd16Kw

Also his three albums are being remastered with Pink Moon being released first. This happened about a month ago. The remaster has gotten grate reviews and is about as good as it gets unless you are lucky enough to have an original pressing.

Last edited:
Thanks, I bookmarked that for later viewing.

FWIW, I picked up the Hannibal Records 1986 re-released 4 LP boxset called Fruit Tree in NM condition at a yard sale for $4. It consists of his 3 studio albums and a 4th LP of previously unreleased stuff called Time of No Reply. They sound very good and the only downside is that the individual LP's come in paper sleeve versions of the LP jackets.

$4 was a great deal on that set.

The new remaster was taken from the original analog tapes and was done by John Wood the same engineer who did the original pressings. I purchased "Pink Moon" and all I can say is it sounds fantastic.

Did you get the Pink Moon box set spartanmanor, or just the individual lp? I saw the box recently, but I'm curious if it is worth it. I bought the CD version of Fruit Tree 20 years ago. I'm not sure if I would ever upgrade the other albums, but I could see myself buying another version of Pink Moon.

Last edited:
Did you get the Pink Moon box set spartanmanor, or just the individual lp? I saw the box recently, but I'm curious if it is worth it. I bought the CD version of Fruit Tree 20 years ago. I'm not sure if I would ever upgrade the other albums, but I could see myself buying another version of Pink Moon.

I got the box set but from what i have read the new individual pressings are done from the same stampers. I will probably go this way forbthe next two releases.

Big fan here but I lost my LPs in a past life and have only got the CDs now. I bookmarked it for later. Thanks for the post.

Discovered Nick Drake because of a GQ article.

Got the box set on cd, but would love to have this as well.

Story goes, Nick delivered the master reel for "Pink Moon" by hand to the secretary of Island records (?? may have been another company...I forget) anyway, the story goes that he simply stated... "I'm Nick, here's my thing."

The secretary took it, and promptly stuck it in a drawer.

After two weeks, the president of the record company asked if she had seen or heard from Nick Drake. Embarrassed, she procured the master reel, and got a tongue lashing.

Wow. Thanks for posting about this.

$4 was a great deal on that set.

The new remaster was taken from the original analog tapes and was done by John Wood the same engineer who did the original pressings. I purchased "Pink Moon" and all I can say is it sounds fantastic.

Where did you get your new copy of Pink Moon? I have the box set and I dropped my copy of Pink Moon and put a deep scratch in it. I'd like to replace it. It has become my favorite of all his lps.

Where did you get your new copy of Pink Moon? I have the box set and I dropped my copy of Pink Moon and put a deep scratch in it. I'd like to replace it. It has become my favorite of all his lps.

Soundstage Direct has both the deluxe box and a pre order on the album.

I saw that somewhere recently. Must have been on TV. Maybe a DVD from the library.

Love the three studio albums on the CD copies I have. I'm leaving the vinyl alone for the time being. The original pressings are a little pricey.

Skin To Few is really good, I enjoyed it. It is a good review of a great artist. May I also suggest Way To Blue:The Songs Of Nick Drake, a really impressive concert of tribute to Nick Drake. Sometimes Nick is criminally overlooked and forgotten, shame, as he was, I think, a very important artist.

Thanks, I bookmarked that for later viewing.

FWIW, I picked up the Hannibal Records 1986 re-released 4 LP boxset called Fruit Tree in NM condition at a yard sale for $4. It consists of his 3 studio albums and a 4th LP of previously unreleased stuff called Time of No Reply. They sound very good and the only downside is that the individual LP's come in paper sleeve versions of the LP jackets.

On all the copies of this box I've seen, the 'Rarities' LP is pressed way off-center. Is your copy like that?

I bought my first Nick Drake album in 1973 in Hong Kong. It was a compilation released by Island Records. I wish I still had it.

cubdog

Back
Top Bottom