¥ getting cheaper, it's time for you to come to Japan

Forget the audio aspect of visiting Japan.
It's truly an amazing, eye opening experience.
After spending a couple months, mostly in Kyoto, I felt as if I'd returned to dirty, gray, ill-repaired third world called Los Angeles.

Bump, didn't mean to kill the thread:)
I saw some pretty amazing collector's Pioneer gear at the Sony Building on the way up to the top floor where the Vincent Van Gogh "Sunflowers" painting was being displayed.

Doutor, Tullys coffee, Veloce, starbacks, Saint Marc cafe, serve a cup of
coffee for less than $2.50. (FYI, I recommend Doutor)

Yes, the Japanese coffeeshops are a real treat (if you can get away from the cigarette smoke). I always thought that "Doutor" (pronounced "dow-TOW-ru") was an unfortunate name; it looks like "doubter," ie: someone who doubts.

On the subject of Japanese coffeeshops, I LOVE jazz kissaten (jazz coffeehouses). The one that I visited, in my wife's hometown of Kumamoto, was a cellar club in the city center, very beatnik-y. Behind the bar (which sold alcohol in addition to espresso and food), was a large collection of jazz LPs and a nice stereo. On each of the tables were scraps of paper and pencils - you wrote down what you wanted to hear (I chose Thelonious Monk, "Brilliant Corners," side one) and hand it to the bartender to be put in the queue. I thought that was the coolest thing ever!

http://tokyojazzsite.com/content/kissaten-喫茶店
http://jazzinjapan.com/other-views/368-jazz-coffee-shops.html

After spending a couple months, mostly in Kyoto, I felt as if I'd returned to dirty, gray, ill-repaired third world called Los Angeles.

You know, I had the same sense every time I returned from Japan to the US, especially when I was living in San Francisco. Everything here seems so poorly maintained after you return from Japan (or Canada, for that matter).

I'm not saying that life is necessarily 'better' in Japan - they certainly have their own challenges - but the Japanese really know how to keep things tidy and efficient.

Last edited:
After spending a couple months, mostly in Kyoto, I felt as if I'd returned to dirty, gray, ill-repaired third world called Los Angeles.[/QUOTE]

I hear exactly what you are saying. It is a cultural shock.

Japan, as well as many other countries (like Singapore), are very classy, clean, and civilized and when you live there for awhile, and then return to USA, well, it's 'different'. Back in the USA where you get mixed drinks in plastic cups.

Yes, the Japanese coffeeshops are a real treat (if you can get away from the cigarette smoke). I always thought that "Doutor" (pronounced "dow-TOW-ru") was an unfortunate name; it looks like "doubter," ie: someone who doubts.

On the subject of Japanese coffeeshops, I LOVE jazz kissaten (jazz coffeehouses). The one that I visited, in my wife's hometown of Kumamoto, was a cellar club in the city center, very beatnik-y. Behind the bar (which sold alcohol in addition to espresso and food), was a large collection of jazz LPs and a nice stereo. On each of the tables were scraps of paper and pencils - you wrote down what you wanted to hear (I chose Thelonious Monk, "Brilliant Corners," side one) and hand it to the bartender to be put in the queue. I thought that was the coolest thing ever!

http://tokyojazzsite.com/content/kissaten-喫茶店
http://jazzinjapan.com/other-views/368-jazz-coffee-shops.html

Japanese coffee houses, Jazz coffee houses, rock and roll coffee houses, and jazz/rock bars and clubs, most are really high quality, with high standards. Even the regular back street places are so cool and stylish, one way or the other. That style would never fly in USA. The places would get busted up, destroyed, robbed, and it's hopeless.

It's simply AMAZING how many LPs are lining the walls in coffee houses, clubs, and bars in Japan. Many thousands and thousands of LP albums...most old Jazz first press albums too. All the old great jazz albums and music seriously. I know what you mean..the stacked LPs on the shelves is simply AMAZING!!

The Japanese take their Jazz, and music, seriously. At least...the older generation did. The younger generation? Not so much. From what I've experienced. Digital changed the world.

Even many of the younger folks working the music clubs really know anything much about stereo systems anymore. It's like they are just working and earning a living in the cool music whatever. I know they can't talk stereo and music, I've tried. All they know is the current fad. It's a digital world now. Has been for a long time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom