0hz Subwoofer

Altec Audio

New to this site!!!

I've got a 5.1 home cinema. I'm using a Denon AVR powering 5 vintage Altec Lansing Bookshelf speakers rated at 100w rms and a self powered JBL sub rated at 100w rms. Really happy with the sound from the 5 Altecs but wanting more power and more low end than what I'm getting from the JBL sub. I'm getting some annoying port noise with the JBL aswell. The frequency response of the sub is 35 - 150htz. I'm wanting to go for something in the same relm as the B&W PV1 which is enclosed with no port. It offers 400w rms & 800w peek. Due to having no port it is immune from rattling noises which I get from the JBL and it will go down to 7.5htz perfect for explosive films. However I expect there is competition out there at a similar price which is just as good. Can anyone make any recommendations?

Comparing a sealed $2000 B&W to a vented low-budget JBL isn't a fair comparison. Your hearing drops off so quickly that chasing anything near or below 20Hz becomes big and expensive very quickly.

How much space for the subs? Bigger is better but a pair of 12 ft^3 subs isn't for everyone.

Budget and maximum size are needed for an appropriate recommendation.

Last edited:
I've been looking at something around the same size as the B&W PV1 however I've heard some really good stuff about the Klipsch R-115SW 15" Sub so I've been looking at that. Has anyone heard one?

Comparing a sealed $2000 B&W to a vented low-budget JBL isn't a fair comparison. Your hearing drops off so quickly that chasing anything near or below 20Hz becomes big and expensive very quickly.

How much space for the subs? Bigger is better but a pair of 12 ft^3 subs isn't for everyone.

Budget and maximum size are needed for an appropriate recommendation.

My budget is around the price of £1000 but I can stretch slightly over. Size wise I have the space to go upto a 15" sub around the same size as the Klipsch R-115SW. I know I'm not coming across as the most helpful so I do apologise. Being straight to the point I'm after a sub which can provide big impact but not bottom out at lower frequencies. I've heard the PV1 and that throws you back in your seat during big blockbusters but it never threatens to bottom out. I'd like to really go for another US brand really. I live in the UK so availability is difficult. My vintage Altecs were made in Anaheim California. It took me ages to track 5 of them down and get them shipped out to the UK. Ive heard some great stuff about the Klipsch Reference R-115SW which seems to be in a similar league to the B&W PV1. Any ideas?

Last edited:
You could try an Eminent Technology TRW-17 "sub". The 17 has "flat response to below 1Hz", according to the manufacturer. It requires house modification for installation. You handy with a few tools? :idea:

Eminent Technology

RW_front.jpg

You want a Danley TH50. Danley is the only company I trust when it comes to low frequency specs. If Tom says it goes down to 21Hz, it does it smoothly, powerfully, and with low distortion. -3dB at 21 Hz from a Danley sub is a different world from the 20Hz claims from others. You won't believe what a real, clean 20Hz sounds like, and needing to go lower won't even enter your mind.

https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/tapped-horns/th50/#slide1

You want a Danley TH50. Danley is the only company I trust when it comes to low frequency specs. If Tom says it goes down to 21Hz, it does it smoothly, powerfully, and with low distortion. -3dB at 21 Hz from a Danley sub is a different world from the 20Hz claims from others. You won't believe what a real, clean 20Hz sounds like, and needing to go lower won't even enter your mind.

https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/tapped-horns/th50/#slide1
I'll be honest I've never heard of them before but there are a lot of US based companies we don't see a lot of in the UK. The main brands we see are the ones in the Harman group including JBL. I'll look into them though. Thanks I appreciate that. Would you put that above the Klipsch Reference 15"?

probably 15 to 30 inch woofers, maybe 4 or 8, inside a concrete column (with rebar)
that's at least 100 cubic feet of internal volume. run 3-phase (your 240v taps) AC
and modify the amps to support 10Kw at below the crossover points.

or buy a couple cheap plate amps that drive car subwoofers, parallel them and modify
the crossovers to allow a measured 140db response below 20Hz.

do it cheap, off the shelf stuff, tell no one, file patent, bring idea/prototype/plans to
CA and go for the billion dollar IPO.

Funny you mention that. Tom Danley, whose stuff I mentioned above, used to design subwoofers to communicate subsonically with elephants in the wild.

The Klipsch sub isn't even in the same league. The Danley sub is designed for pro audio sound reinforcement.

Back
Top Bottom