1. Work behind the scenes continues. AK may go offline again for additional database and or Xenforo fixes.
    Dismiss Notice

0hz Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Altec Audio, May 2, 2018.

1. Altec Audio

Altec Audio New Member

New to this site!!!

I've got a 5.1 home cinema. I'm using a Denon AVR powering 5 vintage Altec Lansing Bookshelf speakers rated at 100w rms and a self powered JBL sub rated at 100w rms. Really happy with the sound from the 5 Altecs but wanting more power and more low end than what I'm getting from the JBL sub. I'm getting some annoying port noise with the JBL aswell. The frequency response of the sub is 35 - 150htz. I'm wanting to go for something in the same relm as the B&W PV1 which is enclosed with no port. It offers 400w rms & 800w peek. Due to having no port it is immune from rattling noises which I get from the JBL and it will go down to 7.5htz perfect for explosive films. However I expect there is competition out there at a similar price which is just as good. Can anyone make any recommendations?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

Budget?

stish likes this.
  3. FONSguy

FONSguy Super Member

As *IF* you can hear that low.

stish likes this.
  4. hjames

hjames dancing madly backwards ... Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

ZERO Hertz?? Really? REALLY?
    Everybody doing infrasonic bass has HUGE budgets - so .... YOU??
    And what do you plan to use for source media?

imral3, jwrauch, stish and 3 others like this.
  5. donprice

donprice Wound up workin' at a gas station.... Subscriber

Comparing a sealed $2000 B&W to a vented low-budget JBL isn't a fair comparison. Your hearing drops off so quickly that chasing anything near or below 20Hz becomes big and expensive very quickly.

How much space for the subs? Bigger is better but a pair of 12 ft^3 subs isn't for everyone.

Budget and maximum size are needed for an appropriate recommendation.

KentTeffeteller and jwrauch like this.
  6. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

Any speaker can do zero hz, It doesn't even have to be connected to an amp to do it

7. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

While the reviews seem generally favorable, the PV1 does not appear to dig anywhere near deep as the expectation/target.

I'd think one could do better than that for same or less money with HSU or SVS or Rythmik, et al.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    F1nut and stish like this.
  8. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

SVS Sub's PC-4000 Goes to 15 Hz.

9. Altec Audio

Altec Audio New Member

My budget is around £1000

10. Altec Audio

Altec Audio New Member

I've been looking at something around the same size as the B&W PV1 however I've heard some really good stuff about the Klipsch R-115SW 15" Sub so I've been looking at that. Has anyone heard one?

11. Altec Audio

Altec Audio New Member

My budget is around the price of £1000 but I can stretch slightly over. Size wise I have the space to go upto a 15" sub around the same size as the Klipsch R-115SW. I know I'm not coming across as the most helpful so I do apologise. Being straight to the point I'm after a sub which can provide big impact but not bottom out at lower frequencies. I've heard the PV1 and that throws you back in your seat during big blockbusters but it never threatens to bottom out. I'd like to really go for another US brand really. I live in the UK so availability is difficult. My vintage Altecs were made in Anaheim California. It took me ages to track 5 of them down and get them shipped out to the UK. Ive heard some great stuff about the Klipsch Reference R-115SW which seems to be in a similar league to the B&W PV1. Any ideas?

Last edited: May 3, 2018

12. StimpyWan

StimpyWan AK Subscriber Subscriber

You could try an Eminent Technology TRW-17 "sub". The 17 has "flat response to below 1Hz", according to the manufacturer. It requires house modification for installation. You handy with a few tools? :idea:

Eminent Technology

[​IMG]

asilker and enginedr like this.
  13. Lapslah

Lapslah Well-Known Member

You want a Danley TH50. Danley is the only company I trust when it comes to low frequency specs. If Tom says it goes down to 21Hz, it does it smoothly, powerfully, and with low distortion. -3dB at 21 Hz from a Danley sub is a different world from the 20Hz claims from others. You won't believe what a real, clean 20Hz sounds like, and needing to go lower won't even enter your mind.

https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/tapped-horns/th50/#slide1

Altec Audio likes this.
  14. Altec Audio

Altec Audio New Member

I'll be honest I've never heard of them before but there are a lot of US based companies we don't see a lot of in the UK. The main brands we see are the ones in the Harman group including JBL. I'll look into them though. Thanks I appreciate that. Would you put that above the Klipsch Reference 15"?

15. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

probably 15 to 30 inch woofers, maybe 4 or 8, inside a concrete column (with rebar)
    that's at least 100 cubic feet of internal volume. run 3-phase (your 240v taps) AC
    and modify the amps to support 10Kw at below the crossover points.

or buy a couple cheap plate amps that drive car subwoofers, parallel them and modify
    the crossovers to allow a measured 140db response below 20Hz.

do it cheap, off the shelf stuff, tell no one, file patent, bring idea/prototype/plans to
    CA and go for the billion dollar IPO.

16. tarior

tarior Dirty pool, old man? Subscriber

asilker and jwrauch like this.

17. 50nstillhifi

50nstillhifi Super Member

Zero hertz... if you are located near the shore.. the whales will love it!

jwrauch likes this.
  18. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

So would Elephants.

19. mikeybc

mikeybc Listener

My minimus 7's will will hold their own against anything at 0 hz.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    asilker, baco99, stish and 3 others like this.
  20. Lapslah

Lapslah Well-Known Member

Funny you mention that. Tom Danley, whose stuff I mentioned above, used to design subwoofers to communicate subsonically with elephants in the wild.

The Klipsch sub isn't even in the same league. The Danley sub is designed for pro audio sound reinforcement.