$1,000 Used Speakers - Recommendations

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ScooterMcTav, Oct 8, 2017.

1. ghamilton

ghamilton Super Member

VANDERSTEEN ONE WILL SURPRISE!!

Audiofreak71 likes this.
  2. nyhifihead

nyhifihead Well-Known Member

these speakers offer great value on used market, some of these are early 90s but most were produced in 2000s

PSB Imagine T and gold stratus
    Paradigm studio 80/100 v4+
    Vienna acoustics bach
    NHT 2.9/3.3
    Totem acoustic Hawk

some of these are quite rare on the used market but it's worth the effort to find them

also worth mentioning you like british sound, have you considered grabbing some used harbeth p3s or ls50s etc and using a subwoofer to augment low end?

3. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

4. cubdog

cubdog banging through drywall Subscriber

5. edwyun

edwyun Super Member

Under $1K, 3-way, full range floorstanders, manufactured after Y2K, that have British-like accuracy/non-fatiguing but not too shrill. That's a tall order.

6. ScooterMcTav

ScooterMcTav I know less than I think Subscriber

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Couple of notes:
    - I live rurally, so do not have easy access to dealers
    - The closest city (Winnipeg) has a limited set of dealers, many of which operate on restricted hours
    - Our used market is understandably skinny
    - Due to this, I do need to solicit opinions, as my hit or miss buy philosophy is not working
    - Even when you do listen at the dealers, there is no guarantee it sounds the same with your gear in your space
    - To maximize budget, used is the way I need to go
    - I may end up needing to mail order or ship in speakers as the local used selection is so poor
    - I mentioned 30s for LF - it would have been clearer if I had said sub 40.

For example, locally all there is in used B&W is a set of CDM 7, and a set of Prism bookshelves. In Kef, an overpriced set of Q900 and a set of old Q60. Generally there is little of merit on our Craigslist (Kijiji) so I'm left with Canuck Audio Mart, which usually has limited selection for Manitoba.

7. saabracer23

saabracer23 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the Wharfedale Opus 2 m2 and really like them. They are bookshelves but the Opus 2-2 or the like are very fine towers. The ones below are not mine.

IMG_5741.JPG

IMG_5742.JPG

Dan

8. ScooterMcTav

Well guys, spent a few minutes today checking out the suggestions, and it looks like I'll need to be a patient buyer.

Unfortunately, a number of the speakers mentioned here also retail used for much more than $1,000 in Canada.

Lots to keep my eyes open for.

9. mikeybc

mikeybc Listener

The PSB Stratus Gold i would be my recommendation under a grand. Usually find them in the 800 dollar range.in Canada. I've also seen Mirage M3si's listed for about 1000 but you'll need a bit of space for them and they dont turn up often.

BlindBoyGrnt and Hyfi like this.
  10. stereofanboy

stereofanboy AK Subscriber Subscriber

Is the post 2000 requirement just to keep people from recommending HPM 100s or is there a different reason for it?

11. ScooterMcTav

Had a good chuckle at this one. I actually refurbished an old set of HPM-40 back in the day, and really didn't like them very much. Actually had a guy locally offer me a set for my Soliloquy.

The post-2000 requirement is based on tweeters and aesthetics. Generally speaking, I have yet to listen to a vintage tweeter that I have enjoyed as much as the more modern designs and materials. However, before my thread gets flamed, yes, I know there are some good vintage tweeters, and yes, I know it is only my own ignorance keeping me from appreciating these.

But the aesthetic part is important as well, which means no big square box with big drivers in it. Keeping the width moderate (~10") and the looks modern is very important.

12. ScooterMcTav

Also of note, Monitor Audio just put all Bronze speakers on for 25% off. Maybe a set of Bronze 5 or 6 would fit the bill.....

13. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

You might consider used Magneplanars, or even new MMGs, which have a factory-direct 60-day trial offer, satisfaction guaranteed.

14. mike0565

mike0565 ADS speaker nut Subscriber

No one has mentioned Cantons yet. They make a very fine speaker.

Old Guy8 and xero-D-hero like this.
  15. audiomagnate

audiomagnate AK Subscriber Subscriber

16. MarZutra

MarZutra Super Member

You know, with our schitty dollar, you might consider the Reference 3A Grand Veena? Just saying because you'll be saving some 30% right off the top...

17. Bert 1100

Bert 1100 Super Member

I have the Monitor Audio Silver RX6 and I think they are very nice and fit your description of things you want.
    Found mine used for the equivalent of 850$, they were (and still are) like new, the newer model had just come out, this was 2-3 years ago.

18. ScooterMcTav

Thanks again folks. Interesting evening:

- A set of Tannoy Precision 6.2 came available for $1,000 locally. Any feedback? I'm trying to see if I can get to the guy's for a demo
    - I have a set of Klipsch Synergy F-3 up FSOT. I was offered a set of JBL Studio 180 in trade. They sound as if they have possibilities, especially based on a Sound & Vision review.

A couple more comments on the above:
    - Maggies are interesting, though I'd love to hear a set of them at some point in my life. Part of my biggest problem is I love bass and hate narrow listening sweet spots
    - I saw the affordable Cantons at A4L, and also affordable JAMO at Amazon.com - trying to avoid the whole import thing however due to exchange and duty
    - Heard Emit Infinities, and was not blown away. Heard Monitor Audio GX series ribbons and was blown away. Alas, too pricey, even in the secondary market. I actually prefer domes, but they have to be the right ones.
    - Had a set of RX1 once, and liked them, though they were too small for the application. RX6 are not common here, and disappear quickly when they do show up.

Reference 3A Grand Veena, eh? A used set at Audio Eden costs $500 less than my daughter's 2005 X-Trail. LOL.

19. Bert 1100

Bert 1100 Super Member

I never heard them , but they look great and the reviews are very positive...if it was me I'd definitely try to listen to them....

20. Hyfi

Hyfi Super Member