$1,000 Used Speakers - Recommendations

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ScooterMcTav, Oct 8, 2017.

1. gladiator335

gladiator335 MRTI Subscriber

Oh man! If you only were closer!
    I have Mirage OMD-15 that fit the bill (with some spare change!)

2. twiiii

twiiii Super Member

So many choices, a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls is a god place to start. Or avery rare pair of Bozak Symphony with B-200Z tweeters. The Boxaks will nedd 100 watts per speaker the klipsch at least 50 watts per speaker. Altec Model 19's or the professional equivalent. JBL made so many different models, maybe a pair of L300's, B&W 801's. The list could go on and on. A pair of B&O 5700 or 5702 or the Celestion equivalent. I liked Mcintosh XR-7 but they need 200 watts a channel and the small rom EQ. But then you'll have a speaker that is flat to 16 hz.

3. ScooterMcTav

ScooterMcTav I know less than I think Subscriber

OK, so I have a few possible choices right now.

Option #1 - Trade in a set of Ohm Walsh 2, Klipsch Synergy F-3, and $300 for a piano black set of PSB Stratus Gold i
    Option #2 - Buy a set of Tannoy Precision 6.2 in piano black for $1,000
    Option #3 - Buy a new set of MA Bronze 5 for $850, taxes in

All options are interesting, and my long term plan was to eventually sell both the Ohms and Klipsch. As much as both have their merits, I can't put the Ohms in the room where they need to be, and I just cannot get used to the Klipsch horns (though the speakers were bought as an experiment anyways).

All three speakers are also described as having a sound signature I'd like, though the PSBs will be better in the bottom end, while the Tannoys will likely image better. The MAs are the worst value as they are new, and won't image or slam as well as either of the others.

Thoughts?

4. ScooterMcTav

Option #4 - Buy a half price set of Cambridge Aero 6 for $677 taxes-in.

Edit: Going to go give the Cambridge a listen tonight. The ABR concept fascinates me, as I enjoyed that my Ohms are crossed high, and not in the 2kHz range.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  5. ScooterMcTav

Cambridge out - good spacious vocals, not rolled off up top, nothing special.

6. Tractorhead

Tractorhead Member

Have you heard Energy RC-70's? Not uncommon under $1000. I haven't heard them but I definitely want to. Doubt you'd find any Veritas under 1k, but maybe close if you're lucky. I own a pair of Energy Connoisseur C-8 and won't part with them anytime soon...

7. Brentsui

Brentsui New Member

Nht Classic 4 fits all your requirements and currently go for around the 1000 mark (at least in the US)
    Also come in piano black.
    74764-nht_classic_4.jpg

GD70 likes this.
  8. jhoyt

jhoyt Incomprehensible space llama

For that price range Vandersteen 2ce SigII should be available used, if not the 2ce Sig. Maybe even a 3a. My circa 1995 2ce's tick many of the right boxes for me, and the newer incarnations should be even better and smoother sounding, with better drivers (especially tweeter & midrange). On the down side their form factor is something of a throwback, and they definitely do better with 100W+ pushing them.

Audiofreak71 likes this.
  9. ScooterMcTav

Well folks, hunt is over.

I decided against the PSB for a couple of reasons - most of all they didn't excite me.

The Tannoys were out as the seller and I just couldn't link up to make it happen. Wasn't sold on the speakers to start with.

And, I wasn't sure about the MA Bronze. I've owned four sets of MAs, with my favorites being Silver RX1. Problem was I never had the right application for them.

Well, I found the dealer who was blowing out the balance of the Canadian distributor's Silver inventory, and now I will shortly have a set of Silver 6 in walnut coming my way.

Yes, they ended up a little bit above my budget, but based on past experience, it will be worth it.

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions.

davidb1, GD70 and darkblue94 like this.
  10. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Eagerly awaiting your assessment. Good thread.

ScooterMcTav likes this.
  11. Bert 1100

Bert 1100 Super Member

I have the Silver RX6 in walnut and I love them. And the real walnut veneer looks really nice. Well done !
    What was your price ?

12. ScooterMcTav

Hi Bert, a little more than 20% above my budget.

13. Bert 1100

Bert 1100 Super Member

I've had my Silvers for nearly four years and I don't feel the need for anything else :)

14. zieglj01

zieglj01 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2017
  15. Bert 1100

Bert 1100 Super Member

The hunt is over, the OP is getting M.A. Silver 6's

16. ScooterMcTav

Though a sudden interest in another pair of speakers I'm selling suggests I may end up with a more than $1,000 budget, and may either go to the Silver 8, or to a set of Gold 100 the dealer still has leftover.

I realize this thread may no longer be about $1,000 used speakers.

17. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Very nice looking speakers!
    Oops! Edit, I see you're reaching for higher ground!

18. ScooterMcTav

One thing I've learned over the years is stretching the budget always works better than cheaping out.

However, the Silver 6 are on order, and I have until Wednesday afternoon to change my mind.

19. Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71 Boerboelicious Subscriber

Plus 3 on the Vandersteen 2ce signature's they check all your boxes and since you will be pushing 60 tube watts that should be more than enough to drive them efficiently, the sound of the Signature's is stunning for the price.

Audiofreak71

20. ScooterMcTav

After looking into the 8s and the Gold 100s, I've decided to stay with the Silver 6s.

Maybe I should change the thread title to $1,200 speakers, though I think $1,000 would be close to the going rate for my US friends.