$1,000 Used Speakers - Recommendations

Nht Classic 4 fits all your requirements and currently go for around the 1000 mark (at least in the US)
Also come in piano black.
74764-nht_classic_4.jpg

For that price range Vandersteen 2ce SigII should be available used, if not the 2ce Sig. Maybe even a 3a. My circa 1995 2ce's tick many of the right boxes for me, and the newer incarnations should be even better and smoother sounding, with better drivers (especially tweeter & midrange). On the down side their form factor is something of a throwback, and they definitely do better with 100W+ pushing them.

Well folks, hunt is over.

I decided against the PSB for a couple of reasons - most of all they didn't excite me.

The Tannoys were out as the seller and I just couldn't link up to make it happen. Wasn't sold on the speakers to start with.

And, I wasn't sure about the MA Bronze. I've owned four sets of MAs, with my favorites being Silver RX1. Problem was I never had the right application for them.

Well, I found the dealer who was blowing out the balance of the Canadian distributor's Silver inventory, and now I will shortly have a set of Silver 6 in walnut coming my way.

Yes, they ended up a little bit above my budget, but based on past experience, it will be worth it.

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions.

I have the Silver RX6 in walnut and I love them. And the real walnut veneer looks really nice. Well done !
What was your price ?

Though a sudden interest in another pair of speakers I'm selling suggests I may end up with a more than $1,000 budget, and may either go to the Silver 8, or to a set of Gold 100 the dealer still has leftover.

I realize this thread may no longer be about $1,000 used speakers.

Well folks, hunt is over.

I decided against the PSB for a couple of reasons - most of all they didn't excite me.

The Tannoys were out as the seller and I just couldn't link up to make it happen. Wasn't sold on the speakers to start with.

And, I wasn't sure about the MA Bronze. I've owned four sets of MAs, with my favorites being Silver RX1. Problem was I never had the right application for them.

Well, I found the dealer who was blowing out the balance of the Canadian distributor's Silver inventory, and now I will shortly have a set of Silver 6 in walnut coming my way.

Yes, they ended up a little bit above my budget, but based on past experience, it will be worth it.

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions.
Very nice looking speakers!
Oops! Edit, I see you're reaching for higher ground!

One thing I've learned over the years is stretching the budget always works better than cheaping out.

However, the Silver 6 are on order, and I have until Wednesday afternoon to change my mind.

Plus 3 on the Vandersteen 2ce signature's they check all your boxes and since you will be pushing 60 tube watts that should be more than enough to drive them efficiently, the sound of the Signature's is stunning for the price.

Audiofreak71

After looking into the 8s and the Gold 100s, I've decided to stay with the Silver 6s.

Maybe I should change the thread title to $1,200 speakers, though I think $1,000 would be close to the going rate for my US friends.

By your discription ADS (especially L1590) will fill the bill. Can be had for under 1k (if you can find them at all) well worth waiting for! Used you will have to spend 2k to beat them imho! New 6/10k!

GD he said NEWER THAN 2000 so that would throw ADS out the window. I find them dark forboding and not very interesting speakers to listen to.

HE SAID NEWER THAN 2000 ALL.
Dark? Forboding? Never heard that discription with ADS before! Suggest the electronics were not correct or up to snuff for them! As far as age go's all things should be flexible when speakers are involved, and if you would "through them out the window" , where is that window located? I'll stand under it any time!

Well, MA Silver 6 delivered and hooked up yesterday, and I would suggest a good decision was made.

Great dynamics, and have a surprisingly superb bass and a full bottom end. A real step up in class from my Wharfedale Diamond 10.6, and of a comparable quality to a set of Soliloquy 6.2 I used to own.

Didn't "forbid" you from saying it! (Read my responce!) Just stated I've never heard that discription of them! The best speakers can sound bad on the wrong equipment and the worst can sound better on great equipment. But you are welcome to your opinion and I'm welcome to disagree with you (with respect) BTW I'm not RABID either!

Last edited:
Congrats on finding some speakers that fit your needs. I was going to throw in KEF 107/2's...they were made until 1995...which rounds up to year 2000 ;)

They can sometimes be found at or near $1,000 if you're patient...but before any flamers jump on that statement, yes they are usually a little more...more like the $1500-2000 range...but can be found for less.

Anyway, congrats again!

I have owned more vintage than modern speakers. I have found great performers in each "era." From Quad 57's to KEF 107's to KEF LS50's or Magnepan 2.7's or Apogee Centaurs...lots of good designs out there. If I could afford truly high end modern speakers, I'd probably go that route too. Although I could sell my 107's and buy something like Legacy Focus speakers, which I am really considering, as there are some locally for $2k! Also could have traded out the 107's for Aerial 10's...I just have had a hard time giving up the KEF's thus far. Very easy to live with.

Back
Top Bottom