1" Bubbles Bubble Wrap for AR Speakers

Mach10

Oh yes ... the carnage that UPS, FedEx, and DHL ... can do ... geez.

I opened up a box and could see inside the Advent 12" Powered Subwoofer ASW1200 I received. DHL was the shipping company ... but the Ebay seller ... he was very understanding and sent me a new one ... this time he used UPS and it arrived okay.

I saw a pair of AR 318PS speakers on Ebay - Item number: 5782907645
I won the bid and the seller ... he slipped them into a single wall cardboard box. Ebay seller goes by ... heeya916 ( 155)

He placed a grocery paper bag on the bottom and a similar [thick] plastic bag on top. And he used the 1/4 " bubbles bubble wrap between the two enclosures ... the bubble wrap didn't completely spread out between the two side walls.

Results ... I heard a rattling sound inside one speaker ... it was the magnet from the 8" woofer ... it tore off. Both grills were compressed into the front portion of each speaker enclosure. The corners ... :cry: :cry: ... smashed-crushed. The 4" midranges and the tweeters ... not damaged. The other 8" woofer ... I heard a scraping sound ... even tho the magnet didn't tear off ... it was trying too.

What happened ??? ... UPS would not take the claim ... because the seller used single wall cardboard. So ... I filed a claim with PayPal ... I won ... $175 dollars was put into my PayPal account and I still have the speakers.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to fix the damaged corners.

And the 318PS with the torn off magnet ... the crossover circuit board is cracked ... don't know yet if I have any broken path ways ... :worried: ... I put some silicone rubber on it to keep it from bending anymore.

As for replacing the two 8" woofers ... well ... a while back I got some 8" woofers on Ebay and they look exactly like them ... so I think I am okay there.

I also have received two pairs of AR speakers ... the AR M3s and the AR 228s ... different Ebay Sellers. Both Ebay sellers wrapped each speaker individually in 1" bubbles bubble wrap.

They then placed each wrapped speaker next to each other and put another two layers of bubble wrap around the two of them. All of this was in one cardboard box ... with plastic filament tape holding the cardboard box together. This method ... WORKS !!!! ... no damage at all.

Yes ... the boxes was bigger and the shipping cost was more ... but I now have some nice AR speakers ... to add to my collection ... not damaged.

Picture to far right ... is the picture of the speakers shown on Ebay and the other pictures are how they looked when I got them.

Notice the shot looking into the port hole ... the bare voice coil is showing ... the magnet structure is lying down at the bottom of the enclosure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom