1 Curbed Altec 846B Speaker !!!

According to the proprieter , he has the sales (and cash flow) - just needs (at least or for starters) a working, on-site partner to help turn out product! ... = a :eek: J.O.B.! - what's that??

Originally Posted by Zonker92:
"I'm seeing only L100s, but they might make them custom for other speakers."

Yes they do.
Also he has other innovative products to bring to market once he gets the grilles fully marketed.

Sounds kinda like a Bill Gates or Henry Ford (or Henry Kloss or Jim Lansing?) working out of his garage many years (and $$) ago! :thmbsp:

Well, if they're in the San Francisco East Bay Area I'm willing to start full time today. Sounds like a GREAT job!

Biggles

Altecs are sold and walked out the door not more than 10 minutes ago!

I JUST SOLD MY FIRST RESTORED PAIR OF LOUDSPEAKERS !!!

Guy didn't stay long, barely listened to them. They worked as they should, he poked around with a flashlight and we loaded them up. GONE.

Wahoooooo! I get my living room back!

Biggles

I have a speaker story to tell you, you're going to want to hear this.

Maybe a year ago or two, I saw an ad on CL where someone was offering to buy vintage equipment at fair prices. Yeah, I know, but I wanted to play. So, I contacted the guy and he ended up being really cool. I sold him a load of hardware at rock bottom prices. He expressed interest in my B&W 808's and he's the one that ended up with them a few months ago. So, there's that.

Okay, so I sold the Altecs today. We've been keeping in touch about them and I shot him off an email letting him know they were gone! He fired back an email stating that he knew about it. He'd just sold this guy a speaker project and my Altecs were in the back of his van!

I got a "vibe" from the buyer today, seemed more like a Dealer rather than an enthusiast or "real" buyer. Turns out my suspicions were correct, he and his father are Dealers. That kinda made me sad, because if you want to make money off of those, you part them out and toss the enclosures. Welp, not this time! This guy and his father buy vintage equipment here in the states for fair prices, then sell them over in Cambodia and Vietnam! Apparently coffee shops over there really dig displaying vintage audio gear. My work will be on display over in Cambodia or Viet Nam!

Biggles

Last edited:
This guy and his father buy vintage equipment here in the states for fair prices, then sell them over in Cambodia and Vietnam! Apparently coffee shops over there really dig displaying vintage audio gear. My work will be on display over in Cambodia or Vietnam!

Yup; that's a huge market. The dudes who bought my Valencias, and another pair of Valencia copies I had that my uncle made, were putting them in a container bound from San Jose to Viet Nam. I think they make a lot of money that way; the mark-up is huge.

Anyway, congrats on your sale!

Last edited:
I can see it now. They buy our vintage audio gear for high prices, and we buy their tee-shirts for a couple of bucks. We are innovative, and they aren't--white cotton tee-shirts have hardly changed. But they are quickly getting all our money
Here's an idea---why don't we print on those tee-shirts they send us pictures of our vintage audio gear and sell them there for fifty bucks each?

Last edited:
Man, what a coda to this crazy thread!

Forgotten jems mistreated by a biker gang, left on the curb to die a slow, swollen death, swooped up by an out of work good guy and lovingly restored with blood, sweat, tears, (with the help of a collective bunch of audio goofs and their knowledge), then sold to a guy who outsources them to the asian market, where they will be enjoyed and admired, perhaps in a coffee shop playing god knows what, where they will start their second lives.

That about right, biggles??

Man, what a coda to this crazy thread!

Forgotten jems mistreated by a biker gang, left on the curb to die a slow, swollen death, swooped up by an out of work good guy and lovingly restored with blood, sweat, tears, (with the help of a collective bunch of audio goofs and their knowledge), then sold to a guy who outsources them to the asian market, where they will be enjoyed and admired, perhaps in a coffee shop playing god knows what, where they will start their second lives.

That about right, biggles??

NAILED it. A very fitting end to a most awesome story. YEAH !!!

Biggles

Here's a toast to ya Doc! :banana::beerchug: Well deserved. Pretty interesting journey these have been on and are going to take.

Wouldn't it be wild they make another Vietnam movie, and in some cafe scene what do we see,...... Biggles Altecs!

Here's a toast to ya Doc! :banana::beerchug: Well deserved. Pretty interesting journey these have been on and are going to take.

Wouldn't it be wild they make another Vietnam movie, and in some cafe scene what do we see,...... Biggles Altecs!

Thank you and right back at ya. It feel really good to have seen this project from its beginning and to the very end. While I do love hoarding speakers (it's what I do best), the hunt has no become my drug of choice. What's next? What's around the corner and how will it play out? I've still got a handful of speakers that I can listen to all day long without issue, I'm okay.

Yes yes, I still have quite a few speaker projects in my stash. I've been hammering away on them and will see them through. I completed one, I can do the rest now without issue.

xo, Biggles

Just read the last few pages of this thread. Nicely done! They look gorgeous. I had a bit of a dealer vibe from the buyer before you said it. That's OK, everyone wins, and a nice pair of speakers were not only kept out of the landfill, they were kept out of the parts market!

Just read the last few pages of this thread. Nicely done! They look gorgeous. I had a bit of a dealer vibe from the buyer before you said it. That's OK, everyone wins, and a nice pair of speakers were not only kept out of the landfill, they were kept out of the parts market!

Exactly. The word on the street is that this guy and his father pay fair prices and are a breeze to work with. I wouldn't hesitate to call them again with future endeavors, makes for a very easy quick sale.

Biggles

New guy here. Let me start by saying WOW!!! You have skills most of us can only dream about having! I just finished reading this epic journey of yours,what a ride. I truly enjoyed this thread,start to finish. I must admit that I was a little saddened by the ending. To see someone else profit from your total devotion to those speakers,is a little maddening. However,I can appreciate your situation. I will be searching this forum in the future to see what your next project will be!

Peace!!!:thmbsp:

New guy here. Let me start by saying WOW!!! You have skills most of us can only dream about having! I just finished reading this epic journey of yours,what a ride. I truly enjoyed this thread,start to finish. I must admit that I was a little saddened by the ending. To see someone else profit from your total devotion to those speakers,is a little maddening. However,I can appreciate your situation. I will be searching this forum in the future to see what your next project will be!

Peace!!!:thmbsp:

Welcome and thank you! It was quite a journey, eh? I was only able to do what I could with the help, guidance and inspiration from this forum. If it wasn't for all of you, it wouldn't have come together like it did, if at all.

No, see here's the deal. It's clearly not about the money. If it were, we'd all be stripping out the guts and selling them on fleabay. It's all about getting them out of the trash, out of the garage and back in to anyone's listening space. Restoring them back in to a condition where they could live for years without issue. My restoration efforts will now be seen across the world! World travelers will be able to break bread bathed in the glorious sound of Altec put back together by my very own hands. How awesome is that? I made a chunk of cash and so will the guy who purchased them, it's all good.

If'n yer interested, here's my latest project. It's a pair of gifted Sansui SP-3500's. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=565201&highlight=sansui+3500

Here's my first thread and first restoration project here, a pretty decent romp. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=522837&highlight=curbed+rectilinear

Biggles

Altec120.jpg

Biggles

Is that a Lane early 60's chest sitting outside your garage?

Those are rather rare, coveted, and pricey. :jawdrop:

Is that a Lane early 60's chest sitting outside your garage?

Those are rather rare, coveted, and pricey. :jawdrop:

Heavy sigh, nope. That was a Sears Silvertone solid state stereo console. A friend dropped it off one afternoon, it just hummed. The only thing worth saving was the cabinet, but an unexpected rain took care of that. The cabinet was a wonderful mid century design, did need some refinish work. It did not survive.

Biggles

That reminds me, my mother has an old Lane cab from the '60's, she stores my baby stuff in it. Need to let her know I'd like that one day.

Call her today, make sure that's earmarked!

Biggles

It is full to the brim with old baseball jerseys, a 2 foot lock of my hair (when I was a hippie kid) and god knows what else.

I know my sis will try and take it, but I'm adamant on that piece.

Off topic, but since this thread has run its course, are you working again, Biggles? Things going well, my friend?

Hay,

All things considered things are going more than well. Am working 2 part time jobs, 5 days a week. It's just enough to keep me going without causing my creditors any grief. The downside to that is that I don't have the Speaker Fun Time I used to have. I can't even imagine how long this Altec would take me to complete with today's schedule.

Biggles

Back
Top Bottom