1000 watt IRS2092 +IRFB4227 class-D monoblock, what to expect?

Sorry for the very late reply. It's been an unforgiving month. Anyway...

Actually, my point was rather that it's possible to get very decent clean power out of IRS 2092.
And to clarify, I should correct something in my previous comment.
According to the data sheet, IRS 2092 can actually take up to 200V, not 100V, with the right implementation.
Imo, that's extraordinary.

Even at 70V input, I wouldn't be surprised to see 200 low distortion watts per channel into 8ohms.
With a well designed board and a 2000W+ power supply it's entirely possible to get something close to 1000W per channel out of IRS 2092.

However, now that I read what it you're up to, I have to wonder why you think you need to more than 95W per channel to run those speakers?
If the amp's distorting when pushing what are essentially bookshelf models, then maybe the amp has seen better days?

Truth is, I do something similar to what you're suggesting.
I run 60 year old inefficient acoustic suspension speakers with Class D amps because it perks the old boys up dramatically.
I seriously doubt they've ever sounded better. Musical, balanced...bass is as tight as it can be.
Essentially a "low boy" design with low-excursion 12 in woofers that mostly just sit there and vibrate...and still manage a quite respectable low 30hz fundamental tone.

But, I really don't need more than 40-50-60 clean watts to do this.

Imo, worrying about whether an amp actually produces 1000W in order to run your speakers is ridiculous.
Mea culpa. So, IRS 2092 can actually produce pretty high power with low distortion.

No, I don't actually need 1000 watt. However, my B&W DM302 is very hard to drive. I mean, take a look at this curve:

Mtz1rBc.jpg

Yes, speakers impedance drop to as low as 3 ohm between 200 Hz to 300 Hz, so I guess it needs very high current power amplifier, and that's why I'm longing for a high powered class D amp.

So, alright, IRS 2092 can produce pretty high power. But how does it sound? Is it warm? Is it bright? Is it grainy? For some reason, B&W DM302s sound really sweet when driven by transparent-sounding, crisp-sounding amp, like my Yamaha RX-V663 AV receiver. However, the speakers don't seem to like being driven by warm-sounding amplifier. Rotel RB-985 is way more powerful than Yamaha RX-V663's amplifier section. However, the Rotel sounds warmer and darker, and the DM302s sound shouty when driven by warm-sounding amp.

If IRS 2092 sound transparent, crisp, and fluid, then it's definitely my amplifier of choice.

Ah crap, kinda rains a downpour on that parade.

That's a shame as some of those class D pro amps use the same basic chipsets, and offer lots of internal space for modifications/upgrades.

peavey_ipr_001-jpg.1548365
Interesting. what Class D is that?

Peavey IPR1600, random pic from google.

I typed this reply a day ago and somehow i must have never hit the "post reply" button, apologies.

Peavey IPR1600, random pic from google.

I typed this reply a day ago and somehow i must have never hit the "post reply" button, apologies.
I just read about it on the net, seems like very underrated amplifier. Impressive.

Anyway, could anyone describe IRS2092 sound?

Back
Top Bottom