1060 parts pre-order suggestions?

AnalogueBen

G'day guys,

Firstly I'd like to say a thanks to those dedicated people whom have combined their knowledge and experiences of the audio world and shared it here on AK!

So as this is my first recap I've been reading many many pages here getting the facts before attempting anything so to avoid preventable mistakes.

If you're familiar with the 1060 then you'll know most of the mods done to achieve the best from these little performers.
My cap choices are as follows;
Kemet (ex BHC)10000uf and Nichicon Kg 6800uf. Silmic 2 throughout the other boards along with wima films etc.
New matched small transistors and diodes in as well.

What about resistors? Apart from Patfonts AMRG upgrade on the Preamp, are there any other resistor changes that would benefit the sound and reliability in an upgrade here?

Now aside from the common problem transistors, tantalum caps, epoxy diodes etc that are well documented, is there anything else as a "must have" to add on a parts order list for this amp as a safety measure and sound upgrade..

Thanks in advance!
Ben

I would order new Bournes multi turn trimmers for bias and dc offset adjustment just to be on the safe side. Those originals are single turn and very touchy to adjust, plus if there is any wear in the carbon track and you find an open while adjusting (bias pots) you could take out the outputs. Luckily this is rare though with the stock ones Marantz used but still touchy to adjust nonetheless. Definitely follow patfont suggestions on caps. I just finished a 2245 which shares the same preamp section and was just floored at how sensitive these boards are to cap choices. Good luck you will be amazed with the sound when you are done.

Hi, sorry, I hadn't noticed getting replies to this thread..
I ended up getting my parts through mouser and pcx, I did a HEAP of reading on here on which to use and where!
Th recap went quite smoothly and I'm still waiting for the burn in to pass, the new sound is smoother, tight and less muddled.
However I'm now in the view of changing out the resistors to KOA CF's along with the Bournes trimmers, and some ceramics as well, will have to wait though until I return home from the high seas..
Would like to see the updated list at some piont Joe, so many others like yourself and I have much love for the little 1060!
Thanks, Ben

Back
Top Bottom