1060 - Purchased, now restoration

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by paultlaw, Jan 9, 2018.

  1. restorer-john

    restorer-john Super Member

    Messages:
    4,529
    Location:
    Australia
    The greencaps will likely also be fine, you can replace with Panasonic polys if you want. Greencaps are sealed in epoxy and have proved to be virtually the most reliable cap long term IMO.
     
  2. CohibaJoe

    CohibaJoe AK Subscriber Subscriber

    Messages:
    2,453
    Location:
    Central Jersey
    I found these Flat sounding and "to me" that's were I would go with a Nice sounding Film. Mundorf EVO Aluminum + Oil are in my Marantz (2)1060, (2) 2230, 4060.
    If $$ is a factor...maybe try the Panasonic and compare to the "Greenies".
     
  3. Mike Sweeney

    Mike Sweeney AK Subscriber Subscriber

    Messages:
    47
    Location:
    Orange CA
    I was lazy on mine.. I used Panasonic and Rubycons for main filter caps and some rim tape to build up the base to fit into the clamps. But the boards got gold Nichicons. I replaced 2SC945s with KSC1845s. I plan to go back soon and replace the coupling caps with some NOS russian paper/oil caps just to have some fun. I've read folks have had some reasonable success with this swap and were pleasently surprised with the sound. I cleaned the pots with DeOxit and then gave a spray of contact lube. I kept the old trimmers on the main amp but did douse them with deoxit and work them back and forth. They are still touchy as hell so I might replace them later on. But for now they are on spec.
     
  4. paultlaw

    paultlaw Active Member

    Messages:
    256
    Any thoughts on how to remove the boards on these to work on?
    I removed P800 last night,I unwrapped wires from their posts, seems like there must be a better way. Also pulled one of the posts out of the board, thought that was better. Haven't recapped the board yet, but I'll upload a picture of it when complete. Hard to find time with work and life at the minute.
     
  5. Richs_Trains

    Richs_Trains AK Subscriber Subscriber

    Messages:
    679
    Location:
    Tucson, AZ
    I have done 3 of these and did not completely remove any boards. The back of the unit can be unscrewed and "hinged" on the outer screw holes giving very good access to the power amp boards and most of the other boards can be moved to become accessible. Be very careful of the bias diodes attached to the heat sink, these are very fragile and hard to source the originals.
    1060_basket_2.jpg
    1060_basket.jpg

    This one was totally dead shorted and rusted bad, but except for the dirty controls, which don't seem to want to clean, it is my outdoor speakers daily driver. The only board you really have to physically remove is the tone board which has the actual tone controls. Good luck.... Rich
     
  6. Richs_Trains

    Richs_Trains AK Subscriber Subscriber

    Messages:
    679
    Location:
    Tucson, AZ
    Forgot to mention, for me, it was easier to remove the pins from the pcb rather than unwrap the wire when necessary, makes for a cleaner look when finished. Rich
     
    paultlaw likes this.
  7. paultlaw

    paultlaw Active Member

    Messages:
    256
  8. paultlaw

    paultlaw Active Member

    Messages:
    256
    Power board done, used nichicon upw for this board and followed the uprating and capacitance and voltage that fellow akers have done. New diodes UF4005 and a nice ksc2383yta.
    Was harder than I thought to be honest.
    I'm slow as hell, but powered up on dbt, all looks good.
     
  9. paultlaw

    paultlaw Active Member

    Messages:
    256
    Where to next? Big power caps? Or power amp board, bear in mind I have a channel dropping in and out, afraid to put this through its paces until issue resolved. Thanks for all the help and advice, please keep it coming
     
  10. Steven Tate

    Steven Tate AK Subscriber Subscriber

    Messages:
    2,226
    Location:
    N. Richland Hills, TX
    If a unit is working properly, I usually rebuild the power supply followed by the filter caps, then main amps. Others do the power amps before filter caps. But either way, I would be trying to solve the dropping channel before anything else. General rule of thumb, even if you are recapping, fix the problem first. Don't count on the shotgun method to fix it. If you introduce a second problem, you will have ten times the trouble sorting things out. Get it working properly and then proceed with the recap/rebuild. That PS pic looks great BTW. Nice job! :thumbsup:
     
  11. paultlaw

    paultlaw Active Member

    Messages:
    256

Share This Page