1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

1060 - Purchased, now restoration

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by paultlaw, Jan 9, 2018.

1. paultlaw

paultlaw Active Member

Thank you for your help, its good to know you make mistakes too, do not know how I botched this, but I certainly won't let this beat me, not with all the help here.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. paultlaw

paultlaw Active Member

Dammit. Don't have any of those. If I tweak the pins, big of leg crossed effort?

3. Steven Tate

Steven Tate AK Subscriber Subscriber

You should be able to bend some pins and get by with it if you are careful. Maybe sleeve the leads to prevent contact.

4. paultlaw

paultlaw Active Member

So my KSA733CGBU are ok - good

5. paultlaw

paultlaw Active Member

Just to try and put a clear message on the replacement transistors for the Power amp board in Marantz 1060.
    It would be nice if someone can confirm these as correct so that anyone who comes after will have another reference

H706,H705 Replace with KSC945CGBU - Different Pinout than normal - (C Suffix)
    H708 and H707 Replace with KSA733CGBU - Different Pinout than normal - (C Suffix)
    H710, H709, H704, H703 Replace with 2N3440 -
    H711 and H712 Replace 2N5416
    H701 and H702 Replace with KSC945CGBU Different Pinout than normal - (C Suffix)

6. Steven Tate

Steven Tate AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm not that knowledgeable about transistors, but it seems that I see more references around the forum to KSC945CYTA and KSA733CYTA. I looked at the data sheet, and all seem to have the same operational parameters. The only difference I can see is the packing method. Hopefully someone here can tell us the difference and if it matters in application.

7. paultlaw

paultlaw Active Member

ksc945 (2).png
    I might well be wrong also, seriously, who am I to be dispensing advice. I think it is only the C part that matters, the transistor is the same, but the pinout configuration is different. Hence why I had to cross some legs.
    Open to any correction on this obviously.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  8. paultlaw

paultlaw Active Member

Progress is slow but coming along.
    IMG_20181104_114307.jpg

9. paultlaw

paultlaw Active Member

Ok i have to replace the 18 ohm resistors attached to H713 and H714.
    The didoes read 0.9v each when checked with meter - Can anyone confirm this is correct?
    I though diodes were supposed to be between 0.4 and 0.7v when checked?

I changed pretty much all the resistors on the board - checking each of them to see if any were damaged in the magic smoke fiasco, so i thought i would just replace them as i went along.

Surprisingly only about a few had drifted

10. paultlaw

paultlaw Active Member

11. paultlaw

paultlaw Active Member

Are the germaniums i am putting back in ok? H713 and H714?
    If they are not what diode is suitable replacement?

12. jwjarch

jwjarch New Member

Nice progress Paul. I believe the old H713-H714 were thermistors with a resistor attached. This was a factory service item at the time. Now, these can be replaced with a 1n4148 or 1n4448 diode. No resistor needed and they don't need to be attached to the heatsinks of the driver transistors. You can see them on my re-build below.

Also, going back a few posts, yes your list in post #85 is correct to the best of my knowledge. And as you found out the hard way, the C suffix makes a big difference! Hope you got those crisscrossed legs all nicely insulated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    catrafter likes this.
  13. paultlaw

paultlaw Active Member

14. paultlaw

paultlaw Active Member

Ready for connection to power, i hope

15. paultlaw

paultlaw Active Member

What points do the big filter cap connect to?
    Trying to figure the schematic out here, afraid of making a mistake

Update, got it, powered up on dbt with croc clips to make temporary connection, light bright then dim. Nice.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018 at 9:55 AM
  16. CohibaJoe

CohibaJoe AK Subscriber Subscriber

17. paultlaw

paultlaw Active Member

OK something ain't right heat sink hot. Can someone explain to me exactly how to set the bias.

18. paultlaw

paultlaw Active Member

R747 pos and neg of multimeter attached, used r729 to try set to 7.5mv. No effect moving the pot. Heatsink is pretty damn warm.

Updated: Cannot get the bias to adjust properly. Going from 120mv to 0.1. Not stabilizing at all.
    Pulling my hair out now at this stage.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018 at 6:39 PM