$11 Chinese AT3600L Thread Mk. II - Champagne sound on a Beer budget!

ms_enj

Ceci n'est pas une blonde
After the previous thread met an unfortunate demise, I figured it would be a waste to let all the info just vanish completely.

Champagne Sound for Beer Money? Huh?

For those of you that don't already know, it's possible to source an Audio-Technica AT3600L 1/2" mount cartridge with a .6 mil conical stylus on a carbon fiber cantilever for the equivalent of approximately eleven U.S. dollars.

It even sounds good to boot...

So what is the deal with this cartridge? Is it genuine?

It certainly is. Audio-Technica has a factory in Hangzhou, China. As best I can find, this is where these cartridges are made. While not every seller may be an authorized AT distributor (Chinese supply chains can be a little sketchy) the cartridges themselves are made by AT to a decent standard, and cheap enough that it's easier to buy another one from a different seller rather than returning a defective one.

Why is it so cheap?

Three words: Economies of Scale.

Being one of the largest OEMs of magnetic cartridges, the AT3600(L), and it's CN5635AL and AT95E siblings have graced and still do grace the tonearms of many, many entry level and mid-fi tables.

The AT3600 is also branded as the Rega Carbon, two LP Gear models (the CF3600LE and CF6500LE), and the Dual DMS251s, to name but a few.

This means that so many of these cartridges are made, and in such high volumes, that producing them costs Audio-Technica very little per cartridge. Low price to make means low price to sell to distributors, and even with several steps in the supply chain each taking a cut, the final price to us is ridiculously low.

Ok, so how does it sound then?

Short answer... It's relaxed, enjoyable, and makes your vinyl sound like vinyl.

Long answer... The bass and lower mids are warm but not overblown, it's fairly balanced and even through the upper mid-range, and there is more detail in the top end than you would expect for the price tag. Aligned well, it has very low IGD. It isn't the last word in precision and timing, but is certainly a cartridge that is capable of holding it's own against moving magnet cartridges that cost significantly more, and there are multiple stylus upgrade paths that bring more detail and finesse.

I don't believe you. Surely something this cheap couldn't sound any good!

Well, listen for yourself then, with three of the different stylii available for this cartridge.

Left to right - The stock AT-branded .6 mil conical, the LP Gear .3x.7mil elliptical, and the LP Gear .02x.30mil ViVid Line/Jico Hyperelliptical. The first two have a carbon fibre reinforced ABS plastic cantilever, the last one has a tapered aluminium cantilever.

Here are the same snippets of the same five tracks over three and a bit minutes:
  1. Oye Como Va by Santana, from this 180g remastered reissue of Abraxas.
  2. So Far Away by Dire Straits, from this 180g remastered reissue of Brothers in Arms.
  3. People Get Ready by Eva Cassidy, from this 180g reissue of Songbird.
  4. Tango In The Night by Fleetwood Mac, from the original 1987 Australian DMM pressing of the album of the same name.
  5. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, from this 180g remastered reissue of A Night At the Opera.
Important technical information about how I made the recordings:
The cartridge is aligned to Stevenson geometry, mounted to a Rega RB100 tonearm fitted to a Rega P1 turntable, which has been upgraded with a silicon drive belt, and damped subplatter. The records are on a cork mat on an MDF platter, and there is a 200g weight on the spindle. The cartridge is tracking at 2.4g and the arm is level with respect to the record surface. The stock arm wiring is going to a Pro-Ject Phono Box II with standard loading and from there to a Lexicon Alpha USB audio interface via a set of Amber interconnects. I did my best to keep the conditions as equal as possible for all 15 recordings but I am human. Also, my cat was asleep on the rug in front of the hi-fi rack the entire time, so your cat or lack thereof may affect your listening results.

Firstly, listen with the originally supplied .6 mil bonded conical stylus:

(Click to open the audio in a new tab/window.).

Carbon fibre reinforced ABS plastic cantilever, bonded stylus. This is the stylus supplied with the Rega Carbon cartridge, just without the fancy logo on the front.

Secondly, listen with the LP Gear CFN3600LE/CFN6500LE .0003x.0007 inch bonded elliptical stylus:

(Click to open the audio in a new tab/window.)

Carbon fibre reinforced ABS plastic cantilever, bonded stylus. The only difference between the two is that the CFN6500LE has a flip down guard on the front and costs a few dollars more.

Finally, listen with the LP Gear ATN3600DLXVL .0002x.0030 inch bonded ViVid Line stylus:

(Click to open the audio in a new tab/window.)

Alloy cantilever this time. Rumor has it that this particular stylus is a hyperelliptical made by JICO, given the characteristic blue dot on the underside of the cantilever. The measurements also indicate this is a biradial or hyperelliptical shape (basic form of line contact), so the name ViVid Line is most likely just marketing on the part of LP Gear.

The next step up from this one is the Turntable Needles bonded shibata, but at US$160, it's a bit too rich for my blood, so I can't comment on how it sounds. It does have some positive reviews though.

I've read there is also a .0002x.0007 inch elliptical for these cartridges, but I don't have a link to it. Feel free free to post it if you know where to get one.

I personally prefer the ViVid Line stylus as my system tends towards a little bright, and this stylus trades treble extension for control and more detail, which suits my ears just fine.

The best results with these cartridges come with them tracking beween 2.2 and 2.5g, but you can adjust and listen and find what suits your tonearm and ears.

Ok, so it sounds good. Where can I get one?

There are many sellers on eBay and AliExpress selling these. Some advertise it as an Audio-Technica, and some don't. If the ad looks similar to the one I posted up the top, chances are you'll get the right one.

The key words to search for on either site are: magnetic cartridge turntable needle

Searching for these will return multiple sellers offering these cartridges for about the equivalent of US$11.

Mine came from eBay seller tiantianupup, and arrived in Australia from Hong Kong in about three weeks. It was shipped in a nice plastic box with a pair of cap head hex screws and nuts:

Some of the really cheap sellers have been sending them unprotected in a plastic bag, so keep an eye out for a picture of a box of some description in the ad and you should get yours safely.

Many, many people have ordered these (the previous thread was over 20 pages) and been totally surprised at the sound quality they deliver, regardless of stylus, and especially considering the price. They make an excellent replacement for a faulty cartridge on an older table, or one with a stylus that is NLA, but I use mine on my primary table because I like it that much.

If you've got one of these and would like to relate your experience with it in the thread, that'd be awesome. :)

Hopefully this info can help others find and enjoy this great bargain!

Last edited:
The Pfanstiehl 4211-DE elliptical stylus (about $15 on eBay) also provides excellent bang-for-the-buck with this cartridge.

Audio-Technica itself used sell two elliptical-stylus versions of the AT3600 cartridge -- the AT3651E, and the Signet Model 100 (shown below).

SIGNET-Model%20100%20%20Cartridge.JPG

I'm curious as to what other cartridges you have that have been displaced by this one.

I did buy a AT3600L after reading the original post. My impression is it's OK, but I have probably 10 other cartridges (Ok I have a few cartidges!) that are better. Sound stage reproduction is not fantastic. Good choice if you are selling a TT and need something to demo it with. For $15 bucks it's worth it.

BTW I asked LP Gear and they said the Vivid Line is not made by JICO. That was a couple of years ago, though.

After the previous thread met an unfortunate demise, I figured it would be a waste to let all the info just vanish completely.

Champagne Sound for Beer Money? Huh?

For those of you that don't already know, it's possible to source an Audio-Technica AT3600L 1/2" mount cartridge with a .6 mil conical stylus on a carbon fiber cantilever for the equivalent of approximately eleven U.S. dollars.

It even sounds good to boot...

So what is the deal with this cartridge? Is it genuine?

It certainly is. Audio-Technica has a factory in Hangzhou, China. As best I can find, this is where these cartridges are made. While not every seller may be an authorized AT distributor (Chinese supply chains can be a little sketchy) the cartridges themselves are made by AT to a decent standard, and cheap enough that it's easier to buy another one from a different seller rather than returning a defective one.

Why is it so cheap?

Three words: Economies of Scale.

Being one of the largest OEMs of magnetic cartridges, the AT3600(L), and it's CN5635AL and AT95E siblings have graced and still do grace the tonearms of many, many entry level and mid-fi tables.

The AT3600 is also branded as the Rega Carbon, two LP Gear models (the CF3600LE and CF6500LE), and the Dual DMS251s, to name but a few.

This means that so many of these cartridges are made, and in such high volumes, that producing them costs Audio-Technica very little per cartridge. Low price to make means low price to sell to distributors, and even with several steps in the supply chain each taking a cut, the final price to us is ridiculously low.

Ok, so how does it sound then?

Short answer... It's relaxed, enjoyable, and makes your vinyl sound like vinyl.

Long answer... The bass and lower mids are warm but not overblown, it's fairly balanced and even through the upper mid-range, and there is more detail in the top end than you would expect for the price tag. It isn't the last word in precision and timing, but is certainly a cartridge that is capable of holding it's own against moving magnet cartridges that cost significantly more, and there are multiple stylus upgrade paths that bring more detail and finesse.

I don't believe you. Surely something this cheap couldn't sound any good!

Well, listen for yourself then, with three of the different stylii available for this cartridge.

Left to right - The stock AT-branded .6 mil conical, the LP Gear .3x.7mil elliptical, and the LP Gear .02x.30 ViVid Line/Jico Hyperelliptical. The first two have a carbon fibre reinforced ABS plastic cantilever, the last one has a tapered aluminium cantilever.

Here are the same snippets of the same five tracks over three and a bit minutes:
  1. Oye Como Va by Santana, from this 180g remastered reissue of Abraxas.
  2. So Far Away by Dire Straits, from this 180g remastered reissue of Brothers in Arms.
  3. People Get Ready by Eva Cassidy, from this 180g reissue of Songbird.
  4. Tango In The Night by Fleetwood Mac, from the original 1987 Australian DMM pressing of the album of the same name.
  5. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, from this 180g remastered reissue of A Night At the Opera.
Important technical information about how I made the recordings:
The cartridge is aligned to Stevenson geometry, mounted to a Rega RB100 tonearm fitted to a Rega P1 turntable, which has been upgraded with a silicon drive belt, and damped subplatter. The records are on a cork mat on an MDF platter, and there is a 200g weight on the spindle. The cartridge is tracking at 2.4g and the arm is level with respect to the record surface. The stock arm wiring is going to a Pro-Ject Phono Box II with standard loading and from there to a Lexicon Alpha USB audio interface via a set of Amber interconnects. I did my best to keep the conditions as equal as possible for all 15 recordings but I am human. Also, my cat was asleep on the rug in front of the hi-fi rack the entire time, so your cat or lack thereof may affect your listening results.

Firstly, with the originally supplied .6 mil bonded conical stylus:

(Click to open the WAV in a new tab/window.).
Carbon reinforced ABS plastic cantilever, bonded stylus.

Secondly, with the LP Gear CFN3600LE/CFN6500LE .0003x.0007 inch bonded elliptical stylus:

(Click to open the WAV in a new tab/window.)
Carbon reinforced ABS plastic cantilever, bonded stylus. The only difference between the two is that the CFN6500LE has a flip down guard on the front and costs a few dollars more.

Finally, with the LP Gear ATN3600DLXVL .0002x.0030 inch bonded ViVid Line stylus:

(Click to open the WAV in a new tab/window.)
Alloy cantilever this time. Rumor has it that this particular stylus is made by JICO, given the characteristic blue dot on the underside of the cantilever. The measurements indicate this is a biradial or hyperelliptical shape (basic line contact), so the name ViVid Line is most likely just marketing on the part of LP Gear.

The next step up from this one is the Turntable Needles bonded shibata, but at US$160, it's a bit too rich for my blood, so I can't comment on how it sounds. It does have some positive reviews though.

I've read there is also a .0002x.0007 inch elliptical for these cartridges, but I don't have a link to it. Feel free free to post it if you know where to get one.

I personally prefer the ViVid Line stylus as my system tends towards a little bright, and this stylus trades treble extension for control and more detail, which suits my ears just fine.

The best results with these cartridges come with them tracking beween 2.2 and 2.5g, but you can adjust and listen and find what suits your tonearm and ears.

Ok, so it sounds good. Where can I get one?

There are many sellers on eBay and AliExpress selling these. Some advertise it as an Audio-Technica, and some don't. If the ad looks similar to the one I posted up the top, chances are you'll get the right one.

The key words to search for on either site are: magnetic cartridge turntable needle

Searching for these will return multiple sellers offering these cartridges for about the equivalent of US$11.

Mine came from eBay seller tiantianupup, and arrived in Australia from Hong Kong in about three weeks. It was shipped in a nice plastic box with a pair of cap head hex screws and nuts:

Some of the really cheap sellers have been sending them unprotected in a plastic bag, so keep an eye out for a picture of a box of some description in the ad and you should get yours safely.

Many, many people have ordered these (the previous thread was over 20 pages) and been totally surprised at the sound quality they deliver, regardless of stylus, and especially considering the price. They make an excellent replacement for a faulty cartridge on an older table, or one with a stylus that is NLA, but I use mine on my primary table because I like it that much.

If you've got one of these and would like to relate your experience with it in the thread, that'd be awesome. :)

Hopefully this info can help others find and enjoy this great bargain!

Great post and thanks for reviving this topic. I have one question, however. The photos for the cartridges sourced from Hong Kong look different than the ones I previously purchased from Chinese seller us-enjoy:

From one of the many Hong Kong sellers using the same photos as the listing you included in your post:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

From the listing for seller us-enjoy:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Notice the difference in the way the stylus sits in the cartridge body? So, are there two different versions of this cartridge being sold by different sellers, or does the photos used by the Hong Kong sellers just show a stylus that is improperly installed? I suspect the latter, but would like to confirm with someone who has actually received one of these cartridges from one of the Hong Kong sellers that uses the photos shown in the listing you referenced in your post.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Notice the difference in the way the stylus sits in the cartridge body? So, are there two different versions of this cartridge being sold by different sellers, or does the photos used by the Hong Kong sellers just show a stylus that is improperly installed? I suspect the latter, but would like to confirm with someone who has actually received one of these cartridges from one of the Hong Kong sellers that uses the photos shown in the listing you referenced in your post.

That definitely looks like improperly installed stylus to me. The dual magnet need to sit in the cartridge body's slot for the V shape magnet. If not, it would look like that in the photo.
You can try to reproduce the picture with your properly installed cartridge as well.

That definitely looks like improperly installed stylus to me. The dual magnet need to sit in the cartridge body's slot for the V shape magnet. If not, it would look like that in the photo.
You can try to reproduce the picture with your properly installed cartridge as well.

The first two photos are shown with the stylus not properly installed. They left the hook that is supposed to clip into the cartridge body hanging outside of it.

Thanks for the replies. I assumed the stylus was just installed correctly but wanted to confirm before pulling the trigger on a couple more.

Last edited:
The first two photos are shown with the stylus not properly installed. They left the hook that is supposed to clip into the cartridge body hanging outside of it.

Perhaps done simply as a way to display the full feature of the stylus, although it does allow for people to get the wrong impression and assume it looks that way when mounted

To me it looks like the top pictures show a stylus that is not installed at all, just sitting on top of the body

What wasn't obvious to me, from those first two photos was, is there even a slot in those bodies to accommodate the plastic tab on the stylus. If you look closely at this photo, you can see the slot in the body:

s-l1600.jpg

I'll just double check to make sure the styli are properly installed when they arrive. The first two I received from eBay seller us-enjoy had the styli properly installed, but they just came in little plastic bags, without the nice plastic box.

Read the thread. Saw the cheap price and ordered 3. Tracking says they are already in the USA somewhere. I'll keep them as test carts, but I'll sure have a fun time playing with them.

Ouch! Just got slapped with a custom and a handling fee from Post Nord (I'm in sweden). So now my $12 cart
a $22 cart.
If you wanna play you gotta pay....

Folks let's keep this on point. Discussion of the cartridge and it's attributes and weaknesses is fine, but if references to cost etc continue it will force this to move to Dollars and Sense. Just a heads up :^)
Regards,
Jim

I edited my post to remove all references to what I paid for mine, but honestly a very large part of the appeal of this cartridge is the cheap and cheerful price. The original thread went on for over 20 pages and many, many months and was full of references to the cost of the cartridge as well as the various replacement stylus options, before it was abruptly deleted for a completely unrelated reason.

No one here is selling these cartridges. We're all just sharing information about a great bargain with other members of our hobby. Discussing such cheap and cheerful hifi bargains outside of the Dollars and Sense forum is not without precedent. The TPA3116 vs the tripaths thread in the New Gear - Values section is full of references to the price of the various TPA3116 boards, where to get them etc. It's been going strong for over four and a half years, with over 7600 posts and over 1 million views. It's a great resource and one of the most popular threads in the history of this forum.

A big part of the spirit of Audio Karma is sharing knowledge and helping others get the most out of out shared hobby. Threads like this one, the original one and the TPA3116 thread have benefited many members of this hobby. Those participating in those threads aren't looking to circumvent the non-commercial nature of AK, we're just looking to help our fellow audio enthusiasts get the most bang for their buck and hopefully encourage new enthusiasts to pick up the hobby by dispelling the myth that great sounding equipment has to be expensive.

I'm not challenging or questioning any moderation decision, as to the best of my knowledge, there hasn't been any moderation of this thread. I'm just hopeful that this thread will be allowed to continue, much as the TPA3116 thread has been for the last four and a half years, for the benefit of all.

Back
Top Bottom